Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailer Awnings

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 01:55 AM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Not sure what you are really looking to do but the easiest awnings are the electric awnings by girard. I have one n my trailer and it take 1 minute to push a button to make it work. A one man job is my requirement.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:47 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by tripleblack
For speed & simplicity, one of these (electric) might be an option:
http://www.goldrushinc.com/accessories/accessories
No personal experience with the product but their other stuff is high quality.
Electric is the way to go IMO. I have one on my ATC and absolutely love it. One less thing to setup/take down at the track. I'm not sure what brand my awning is to be honest - whatever ATC uses.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:08 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

I've just gotta say... YouTube is awesome. I had searched on there before without success. However, my searching last night turned up quite a few excellent videos. I was able to learn that I'm going to go with the old tried & true manual awning. And the Dometic A&E 9000 is the one I want. The support legs cantilever off the side of the trailer along the bottom, however, they can be disconnected in order to have the legs stand vertically, to create a car port. Exactly what I was wishing for! And numerous how-to videos proved out how fast and easy it is to put up and take down. Both can easily be accomplished in under 3 minutes!

I have to say, none of the awning companies have an even remotely decent web site. All of them only show a tiny picture of the awning deployed. No video of how it works. No detailed high-res photos of the bits 'n pieces. Lame!
Old 10-02-2013, 12:40 AM
gvtesse
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
I've just gotta say... YouTube is awesome. I had searched on there before without success. However, my searching last night turned up quite a few excellent videos. I was able to learn that I'm going to go with the old tried & true manual awning. And the Dometic A&E 9000 is the one I want. The support legs cantilever off the side of the trailer along the bottom, however, they can be disconnected in order to have the legs stand vertically, to create a car port. Exactly what I was wishing for!
Did you end up going this route? How do you like it? Is was thinking if going the ezup route to add shade for the car, but this looks like it would be easier.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:01 AM
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went with a Dometic 9100, electric and love the ease of use. One person job.
Still set up the 10x20 EZ up for the car and use the trailer awning for human shade.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:54 AM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 166 Posts

I have both an attached awning (on my Airstream) and a freestanding awning for paddock use. The latter gets by far the greatest use. If a wind comes up quickly, any awning permanently attached to your trailer becomes an instant liability. You need to be right there to lower it immediately, or it will be gone and you will be out a lot of $$. The vast majority of awnings I see in paddocks are freestanding. Summit Quickshade is a popular model; $150 in many sporting goods stores.
Old 10-02-2013, 12:59 PM
gvtesse
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the info. I do mostly see freestanding ones as well...looks like I'll go that route.
Old 10-02-2013, 01:55 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 897 Likes on 437 Posts

Do yourself a favor and get a quality canopy. A $150 Quickshade is not that product. I would look at the Caravan Aluma. Yes, it is pricey....but it will last.

Scott
Old 07-17-2020, 03:33 PM
winders
Race Car

@Crazy Canuck

Is Dometic still a good choice for trailer awnings? I am finally looking at buying an awning for my trailer as I plan on going to more tracks where garages are either super expensive to rent or unavailable to rent. If Dometic is still a good choice, which model as they have seemed to change over the last several years?

Or, are there better options now?

Thanks!

Old 08-02-2023, 10:09 PM
winders
Race Car

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
That was me! Just got back from vacation.

I'd put the same thing on a trailer now if it were for my own use. Easy to use. Much easier to use than the traditional hardware but only a few bucks more.

Get the aluminum weathershield as well. Should be available in silver, black and white hardware.
What is the best awning to get now? I am finally going to install one on my 24 ft trailer.....
Old 08-04-2023, 09:36 AM
Dan Jacobs
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 41 Posts

I've owned 2 Dometic awnings I won't buy another
The engineering is shockingly bad
Old 08-04-2023, 09:55 PM
Racer

Received 294 Likes on 121 Posts

When I ordered my trailer, I looked into awnings and tents. I decided on a premium EZ-UP tent (10x20) because it was less costly, holds up better in winds and can be moved without moving the trailer. We also use the tent at events without the trailer. I also like vertical supports over angled braces from the side of the trailer which support some awnings.
However, the first time I put the EZ UP, I thought I had made a big mistake, it was heavy and not EZ to put up, so I fabricated pads and welded on casters. It works great. Now the tent can be set up by one person, securing one corner and rolling the tent open. Once in place the casters are removed. Take down is just as EZ and the folded tent, in its protective cover rolls easilly back into the trailer
Other trailers with awnings can retract them faster, but have to do it much sooner than we do. (We use Skyvector.com radar to keep track of storms and local wind speeds and direction.)

Old 08-05-2023, 11:19 AM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 617 Likes on 421 Posts

Originally Posted by 9114609048
When I ordered my trailer, I looked into awnings and tents. I decided on a premium EZ-UP tent (10x20) because it was less costly, holds up better in winds and can be moved without moving the trailer. We also use the tent at events without the trailer. I also like vertical supports over angled braces from the side of the trailer which support some awnings.
However, the first time I put the EZ UP, I thought I had made a big mistake, it was heavy and not EZ to put up, so I fabricated pads and welded on casters. It works great. Now the tent can be set up by one person, securing one corner and rolling the tent open. Once in place the casters are removed. Take down is just as EZ and the folded tent, in its protective cover rolls easilly back into the trailer
Other trailers with awnings can retract them faster, but have to do it much sooner than we do. (We use Skyvector.com radar to keep track of storms and local wind speeds and direction.)
Great tip. I so far balked at adding an awning to the side of my 24' Intech and had instead decided I would buy an EZ UP 10'x20' canopy, but haven't done so yet.

Quick Reply: Trailer Awnings