Sponsored by:

Trailer Balance L-R

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 01:39 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick
I'll offer my experience in response to your question. I have a 26ft ATC and tow either my 951, 993 or all of my kids go karts. I have a large tool box that weighs nearly 400 pounds...I roll it in/out of my trailer for race weekends. I tried it on the right side of the trailer...in the center...on the left side - I was never able to notice any difference at all. For the last 3 years, I've towed with it secured to the left side..works great.
Brilliant, thanks for the feedback. I guess the key thing, above all else, is tongue weight.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:38 PM
pmason
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rick, that rack is what I have near the front of the trailer. Thought about putting on in the rear, but I'm concerned the car would hit it when pulling in. Note I do have planks on the floor to raise the car high enough (~2in) to open the drivers side door, I have an escape door on the left of the trailer.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:45 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had a 24' TPD for ~6 years and have never worried about L/R weight balance and never seen an issue (even with more weight on the R from cabinets and nitrogen bottle, etc.). Mine is the triple axle version and that probably has an impact compared to the two axle too.

I hate tire racks in the trailer as they are always in the way. I transport my tires in the tow vehicle (2500 HD) or simply strap them to the floor in front of the car during transport.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:38 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
Brilliant, thanks for the feedback. I guess the key thing, above all else, is tongue weight.
And your trucks capacity to handle the tongue weight. I have 900-950 lbs of tongue weight and even with a F350 CC DRW super duty I run air bags for support.....

Originally Posted by Tom W
I hate tire racks in the trailer as they are always in the way. I transport my tires in the tow vehicle (2500 HD) or simply strap them to the floor in front of the car during transport.
Me too. I just lay them on quilted moving blankets and they never move. I use my wall rack for tires only (no rims).....
Old 01-04-2013, 06:53 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

This the issue I've wrestled with most in laying out & designing my new trailer - schlepping wheels.

I plan to store the trailer indoors. Which means I'll get limited to no access to the trailer once it's parked inside. I'm planning to keep the race car at home, not in the trailer. Which means a lot of logistics in order to get everything to arrive at the race track for the weekend.

While I'm focused on transporting the wheels inside the trailer, in reality, I'll probably end up like Tom - hauling them to/from the track in the bed of the pickup truck. Mainly because I'll need to have new tires mounted before heading off for the weekend. Then, once the weekend is over, I'll need to take those wheels home in order to get the next set of tires mounted (even just doing DE days, I've been burning thru a set of R6s in a weekend).

I hate the idea of having to store the wheels at home - I just don't have the space. This was a big part of the desire to have an enclosed trailer - everything is housed inside, nothing to pack or unpack. But, everything in life is a trade-off. And I'll find out soon enough if it's worth it to store the trailers indoors vs: an outdoor lot that might make the trailer more accessible in order to deal with dis-mounting & mounting new tires and storing them in the trailer between events.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:05 PM
JohnPG
Racer

24C,

I just took delivery on a trailer this past March. I didn't want to go the wall tire mount route, I decided to have e-track installed on both walls just back of the cabinets. The port side has six feet of e-track in rows starting 6" from the floor and each foot there after for a total of 4 tracks. On the starboard side I have three feet of track setup the same way, between the cabinets and the door. Works great, it's not overhead and I can still access the cabinets. I decided to go with a 26 to allow more floor space, but it should work with a 24 especially if you don't go with the generator compartment I had added. The pdf will give you an idea how the layout is setup.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
CTS Trailer.pdf (50.2 KB, 154 views)
Old 01-04-2013, 07:26 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

As you move from DE to racing, one benefit you will see is tire support at the track. No need to worry about having tires flipped or new ones mounted before the event. You can have it done quickly and easily at the event. I've not been at a race in the last 5 years where there was no tire support available at the track.

I'm with you John, I seldom actually fix them to the floor (although I can). This is Rennlist and I didn't want to get jumped on about how someone else has decided that it isn't safe to simply leave them 'loose' - which I've often done for the last 5 years without issue. I have anti-skid tape on the floor to help ensure no movement.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:54 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

As you move from DE to racing, one benefit you will see is tire support at the track. No need to worry about having tires flipped or new ones mounted before the event. You can have it done quickly and easily at the event. I've not been at a race in the last 5 years where there was no tire support available at the track.
I've been using AiM tire at Thunderhill here and there over the years. There is also an on-site tire shop at Buttonwillow. The problem with these shops is the hours they keep. They typically don't open until 9 in the morning, then they close around 3 in the afternoon. I've always lost out on a session when I've had them do mount & balance. So, the reality is, for DE weekends, I can't rely on them.

I have seen Hoosier and other tire manufacturers at big races, such as the 25 Hours of Thunderhill. I didn't know they supported smaller races as well.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:11 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm with you John, I seldom actually fix them to the floor (although I can). This is Rennlist and I didn't want to get jumped on about how someone else has decided that it isn't safe to simply leave them 'loose' - which I've often done for the last 5 years without issue. I have anti-skid tape on the floor to help ensure no movement.
I'm glad to hear this. I don't know how many times I've wanted to simply leave them on the floor; tired on Sunday afternoon and really not wanting to hoist 8 wheels/tires up onto the racks.

Sloth is good!
Old 01-05-2013, 03:16 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 855 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by KaiB
I'm glad to hear this. I don't know how many times I've wanted to simply leave them on the floor; tired on Sunday afternoon and really not wanting to hoist 8 wheels/tires up onto the racks.

Sloth is good!
Leaving the wheels loose on the floor of the trailer is great right up until the time that it isn't. If you leave your house unlocked enough times, someone will come in and rob you.

Scott
Old 01-06-2013, 12:23 AM
24Chromium
Drifting

Originally Posted by winders
Leaving the wheels loose on the floor of the trailer is great right up until the time that it isn't. If you leave your house unlocked enough times, someone will come in and rob you.

Scott
I got a great tip on stacking them on the floor... take the handle off your jack and slip it down the center hole of the all the rims. If you feel compelled to strap them down (which I do), now you can use just one strap to hold them in place, as the jack handle will help keep them stacked.

I'm adding a bunch of these in my trailer:

Name:  2_zinc_snaploc5.jpg
Views: 647
Size:  109.7 KB

I'll have 2 sets of these for using a pair of ratchet straps to secure the stack of tires. Combined with the jack handle trick (I'll substitute a length of pipe for the jack handle), it should be very robust.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:28 AM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 483 Likes on 256 Posts

I stack a set on the floor all the time +/- more in the pickup. Long tows, bumpy roads, etc., never had a problem. I like the jack handle trick and the single snaplock too, thx
Old 01-06-2013, 02:02 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

I'm not trying to be a Snaploc flack (honestly, no affiliation!) ... however, I can't help but mention their dolly. I've actually got a generic Rubbermaid dolly that's very similar in size, however the Snaploc one is much more heavy duty with a steel frame. The real bonus is that they've added those Snaploc Singles onto the frame. Plus, you can get the dolly with or without handles. Here's a couple of pics to show you the product:

Name:  snap-loc_supporting_image_platform_truck_tires_strapped.jpg
Views: 731
Size:  100.1 KB

Name:  3_snap-loc_supporting_image_platform_truck_1_with_e-straps1.jpg
Views: 753
Size:  69.9 KB

The best part is, besides being super easy to strap down the tires, and strap the entire dolly to a wall, is that you can roll an entire stack of tires off the trailer and directly next to the car. Or the truck bed. Or the tire shop across the paddock.

It's kind of a poor-mans version of the pro race team's mobile tire rack.

I stumbled upon this product after having purchased a bunch of the Snaploc singles from Grainger. I noticed they all had "SNAPLOC" engraved on them, so I simply googled it.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:22 PM
drl
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 65 Posts

has anyone used this? is it fairly stable? this looks like a pretty good option for me. the only other non-custom portable rack i can find is this:

http://www.irvansmith.com/scart/tire...led-p-498.html

looks nice but huge, heavy, and more than i need
Old 01-06-2013, 05:08 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,625 Likes on 2,310 Posts

DRL, ivansmith is very stable as i have seen them in person very beefy too. but you got enough space so no worries.

Quick Reply: Trailer Balance L-R