Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 09:25 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,293 Likes on 1,873 Posts

Trivia test...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 05-21-2013, 09:38 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
If you're a person that used to put together Heath Kit kits
Originally Posted by GuyIncognito

uh oh.

I don't even know what those are

Trivia test...
I built a Heathkit stereo receiver with my dad, and then later built a Hafler power amp. Still have the Hafler. So I guess I win the Old Nerd Trivia Contest.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:55 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Hey, Mike! I may still have a Hafler pre-amp with a moving coil phono cartridge input in my stash somewhere...

Sheesh, these kids...
Old 05-21-2013, 10:17 AM
sqweak
Rennlist Member

Received 209 Likes on 90 Posts

Thanks Peter!

I am computer/programming savvy and a bit ok on the electronics side. I am not as car mechanically capable. What's throwing me off is that my understanding of both this system and most other DAQ is that they use ODB to get many of the inputs like throttle & brake position, speed, revs, etc. Since my 76 doesn't have that output, I'm curious if it's possible (but more complicated?) to get those inputs hooked up to DAQ some other way or if I'm just out of luck?
Old 05-21-2013, 10:27 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Hey, Mike! I may still have a Hafler pre-amp with a moving coil phono cartridge input in my stash somewhere...

Sheesh, these kids...
Apt Holman preamp here.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:39 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Actually, most data systems until very recently (those built before pre-2009) obtained the inputs of the vehicle ONLY through installation of standalone sensors connected directly to the logger, so they could be used with ALL cars, including yours.

Most loggers above $1200 (AiM EVO4, MXL Pista, Race Technology DL1, RacePak IQ3, Race Keeper SE and HE, MoTeC ADL and SDL variants) still do that, so you're all set!

Where loggers have become less expensive and much easier to collect a variety of VEHICLE information, without installing additional sensors for throttle, steering and brakes, is the implementation by the manufacturers of various stability controls in their cars, mostly post 2006. These additional systems rely on sensors they install in their own cars, and these less expensive offerings like the AiM Solo DL and MoTeC CDL allow logging of the information collected by these sensors already installed. Often, access to this built in sensor information is through the OBD-II connector, but mostly its through the two-wire CAN Bus wiring between the ECU and the instrument cluster. This often eliminates the need to add additional sensors required on the earlier cars to gain access to that information.

Bottom line is the Autosport Labs device, the Race Technology DL1 and the AiM EVO4 (not necessarily in that order) are the best units for older cars (all under $1200) that will log not only driver inputs and measured forces and speed, as well as GPS track mapping and timing, but also allow for the additional analog (0-5V potentiometers, sensors) or digital switches (on/off switches like brake lights) inputs so you can track vehicle health and gain additional insight into what the driver is doing.

You are NOT hobbled by having an early car, just more work to equip it and set it up.

Quick Reply: Race Data Logger- Open Source