Sponsored by:

Looking for Racers Experienced with Hoosier 16 inch radial slicks

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 08:23 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 155 Likes on 104 Posts
Default Looking for Racers Experienced with Hoosier 16 inch radial slicks

I have been using 16 inch Goodyear bias ply slicks on my 911 race car. The car is in PCA GT2 class and weighs about 2000 pounds.

Now I need to make a tire change and I am considering 16 inch Hoosier radial slicks. There are other candidates as well.

I am looking to learn from folks that have experience using the Hoosier 16 radial slicks in Porsche applications similar to mine. Air-cooled, trailing arm, light GT car. Most interested in 16 inch information, but if folks have experience with larger diameters on similar cars, that might be helpful.

Perspective on applications where the car is much heavier (like a Cup) may not be as valuable.

The perfect perspective would be from someone racing a GT-classed 911 on the 16 inch radial slicks, and that same person having had somewhat recent experience racing the car on either Hoosier or preferably Goodyear bias plys previously. And I mean racing the car pretty hard.

Any perspective and/or leads appreciated.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:15 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 925 Likes on 563 Posts

Did you check with Competition Tire? I don't think everyone is going to tell you all their secrets. I know a guy who ran them, but I doubt he's going to share much. The tire engineers will at least get you into the ball park.
Old 12-23-2012, 12:31 AM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Not looking for secrets.

Looking for comparative perspective.

Competition Tire? You mean one of the Goodyear distributors? If so, it is my understanding that they are Goodyear only. And stand to lose quite a bit of revenue with the recent announcement from Goodyear. And yes I have spoken to most of those businesses about the situation.

I will likely not use Goodyear radials unless they are as good and priced as well as the bias ply tires they no longer make.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:38 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 925 Likes on 563 Posts

Sorry - posting when over tired. Comptetition Tire won't be much help. Call or email Hoosier direct. They list their product managers right on their website and the guys will get back to you. They know their prodcut better than anyone.

They guys who have won SCCA GT2 have all run the Hoosiers and can tell you what's fast and works - if they will give up their secrets.
Old 12-23-2012, 05:32 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Thanks. We are already in touch with Hoosier senior management at headquarters. Want 911 GT racer perspective. Will hunt down some SCCA folks.

Quick Reply: Looking for Racers Experienced with Hoosier 16 inch radial slicks