Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 03:07 PM
Veloce Raptor
Team Owner

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts
Default COTA press release...full of lies

http://www.circuitoftheamericas.com/media-center/

Circuit of The Americas’ statement on track rental program

Circuit of The Americas™ today set the record straight on the venue’s track rental program and responded to questions raised in social media forums about the program’s future direction. “Circuit of The Americas currently offers a track rental program for organizations and clubs and private individuals that provides automotive enthusiasts with a world-class experience at the United States’ only purpose-built Formula 1™ facility,” Circuit spokesperson Julie Loignon said. “We have had inquiries and discussions with a number of organizations that are interested in renting our facility, and we’ve determined that we will not be able to work with all of them in the coming year. We have contacted organizations that did not have fully executed rental agreements to inform them of our decision. We regret not being able to assist them with a track rental in 2013 and hope there are other ways we can accommodate their interest in Circuit of The Americas in the future.”

The fact is, they cancelled groups that DID have fully executed rental agreements & deposits paid.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:16 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

They built a track and hosted Formula One.

They have no (financial) need nor have any desire to expose themselves to liability, in order to deal with amateurs.

I would have been surprised if they did.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:24 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
They built a track and hosted Formula One.

They have no (financial) need nor have any desire to expose themselves to liability, in order to deal with amateurs.

I would have been surprised if they did.
huh?

tracks don't make money hosting F1, Bernie sees to that

COTA absolutely needs other events, including amateur racing, DE/track days, and schools to stay afloat.

these guys are going to bury this track in 18 months at the rate they're making colossally stupid decisions.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:34 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

We should all take a big chill pill and wait to see how things unfold.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:35 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by GuyIncognito
these guys are going to bury this track in 18 months at the rate they're making colossally stupid decisions.
It is funny that so many businesses do this. How can some really smart people wheel and deal and get a racetrack built in America today. This is no easy task. It takes hard work, dedication, smarts, and money. But what happens that causes such huge blow-ups? Everyone can see the writing on the wall but obviously they have no clue. Is there something fundamental in the business structure that causes this like entrepreneurs with a great idea see a project so far then hands off or what?
Old 12-22-2012, 07:37 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Well, if you're correct, the track will be for sale soon.

I doubt it, the principals involved can open the track to F1, ALMS, MotoGP...and even the IRL...and do OK.

If you have the money to build a track like COTA, you don't have to deal with amateur organizations.

Just my 2 cents...time will tell.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:14 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

10 club/DE rental events a year at $100K weekend is a measly $1.2M gross. We don't bring crowds, food and alcohol sales, gate....just our own gas and coolers.

Does anyone think a $1±M/year is going to make or break this $400M track? They'll get that renting to small events catered to the cars and coffee crowd, and they won't bend any walls or tear up the pavement.

No doubt a subscription type membership is in the cards. Keep the product in short supply, charge out the ***.

Assuming this means no Chumpcar race at COTA in 2013.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:20 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by consolidated
10 club/DE rental events a year at $100K weekend is a measly $1.2M gross. We don't bring crowds, food and alcohol sales, gate....just our own gas and coolers.

Does anyone think a $1±M/year is going to make or break this $400M track? They'll get that renting to small events catered to the cars and coffee crowd, and they won't bend any walls or tear up the pavement.

Assuming this means no Chumpcar race at COTA in 2013.
by that logic, nobody should do amateur racing/DEs.

and if they have 200 days a year that aren't used by pro racing or testing, that's ~ $10mm in potential revenue just from track rental...not something I'd want to turn down.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:27 PM
Eifeler
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Costs and capitalism will fix the problem.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:36 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

They're renting the track, just to very small groups. We'll get our turn eventually I believe.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:57 PM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

It's one thing to limit rentals, it's another to back out on agreements where you've already cashed the check, and are only a few weeks out. People have made reservations, shipped cars, etc. People who race at these events have the means, contacts, and expertise to make themselves a pretty big nuisance if you **** them off enough. Lawyer talk is already going strong on the COTA FB page.
Old 12-23-2012, 04:41 AM
gt2urbo
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I could care less if they rent it out at this point they Lost my future business rather take my car to Germany and do many historic tracks not a brand new arrogant one.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:51 AM
uscarrera
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 657 Likes on 319 Posts

If the folks at COTA do not believe there is a correlation between how they work with the "amateur" racing community and the overall success of the track I believe they are very wrong. Not only are we the most avid fans of pro racing but also the best ambassadors for the sport. My experience at F1 this year had me talking up COTA events to all who would listen, the reality is now my voice will be heard singing a much different tune.
Rich

Quick Reply: COTA press release...full of lies