COTA - "Not interested in allowing HPDE or amatuer racing events..."

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 09:33 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Seriously.

The track ain't THAT great to justify this much attitude...
attitude is one thing.

ignoring basic contract law is another.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:53 PM
gvtesse
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GuyIncognito
attitude is one thing.

ignoring basic contract law is another.
How ridiculous. Glad I didn't make plans to ship my car out there.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:22 PM
racing916
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just come to Watkins glen you will have more fun!
Old 12-28-2012, 12:54 AM
Kish Galappatti
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys, voice your opinion here: https://www.facebook.com/COTABBR
Old 12-28-2012, 04:10 AM
Horus2000
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

IMHO this is just a situation of the track in it's infancy/toddler stage. I don't think they know what they want to do/be. It was hair-on-fire to get the track ready for F1 and it appears from the behavior we've seen they hadn't put much thought (or agreement) into anything beyond the big race. Smells like management can't agree on what the mid-term vision is for the facility. Being the "prettiest girl at the dance" probably isn't helping either. It will settle down eventually (I hope), but it will take much patience from all of us that want to give them our money.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:08 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,220 Likes on 1,852 Posts

Originally Posted by Horus2000
IMHO this is just a situation of the track in it's infancy/toddler stage. I don't think they know what they want to do/be. It was hair-on-fire to get the track ready for F1 and it appears from the behavior we've seen they hadn't put much thought (or agreement) into anything beyond the big race. Smells like management can't agree on what the mid-term vision is for the facility. Being the "prettiest girl at the dance" probably isn't helping either. It will settle down eventually (I hope), but it will take much patience from all of us that want to give them our money.
Right on the money. Saw this happen with Barber and others...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 12-28-2012, 09:32 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,605 Likes on 834 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Right on the money. Saw this happen with Barber and others...
Except, to the best of my knowledge, Barber was neither built with $25,000,000 of public funds/tax rebates per year nor required disparate groups of the usual tree-hugging car-loathing hippies to get on board to benefit the community. I could be wrong, But IIRC that George Barber simply built the place as his own private playground...and thhen over time decided to begin renting it out.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:51 AM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

FYI, I understand that The Driver's Edge event scheduled for Jan is still on. First private/HPDE event at COTA. And at the rate things are going, maybe the only one! doh!

If my other obligations clear up, I'm there

-td
Old 12-28-2012, 11:33 AM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 141 Posts

What GT3DE said. At the rate these guys are going, there will be new owners in a few years. Hopefully they will be more receptive.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:12 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Not quite correct, VR. Public money component is part of Barber's disposition from him to the group that operates events now.

The disconnect between the sports management company hired to operate Barber from day one and amateur groups was astounding. It's taken nearly a decade for them to "get real."

I doubt COTA has that much time...
Old 12-28-2012, 12:46 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
The disconnect between the sports management company hired to operate Barber from day one and amateur groups was astounding. It's taken nearly a decade for them to "get real."
You mean the rumors that were flying around that if you put a wheel off and killed a few blades of grass, you (or the club) were going to get fined big-time? I had forgotten about that... I guess it did take a decade...
Old 12-28-2012, 12:50 PM
chrisc
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Guess they feel that the potential fan base represented by amateur racers & HPDE crowd is not significant in comparison to the Indy & NASCAR fans who enjoy races as social partying events and typically don't own/drive track ready sports cars. Not saying there's anything wrong with partying. Just a different crowd with different priorities.

Attitude will probably change when the "new" wears off. Have a few friends who attended the F1 event. Said it was fun but too expensive so they won't be back but they wanted to attend the inaugural event. Be interesting to hear how the advance sales go for the next events.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:56 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Horus2000
I suspect this is correct.
Old 12-28-2012, 02:12 PM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

COTA= (Crap On The Amateurs) copyright/TM C.Plavan
Old 12-28-2012, 03:47 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Astroman
You mean the rumors that were flying around that if you put a wheel off and killed a few blades of grass, you (or the club) were going to get fined big-time? I had forgotten about that... I guess it did take a decade...
No rumors. My client crashed at the Kink and damaged five sections of Armco, drivers left (as well as totaling the car) at one of the first events in July 2003.

Zoom (http://www.brunoeventteam.com/zoom-motorsports.php) billed the renter (volunteer-led vintage group, VDCA) $5K PER PIECE of Armco. $25K Yes, you read that right, $25K for used Armco pieces, 5 of them.

My client, not wanting to compromise the sanctioning body, should they have wanted to rent there again, paid an amount slightly less than that, but not much less...

The group did not go back...

Quick Reply: COTA - "Not interested in allowing HPDE or amatuer racing events..."