Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spec-944 cars invited to run at 944Cup/PCA events in the South

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012 | 08:36 AM
johntorg
Rennlist Member

Default Spec-944 cars invited to run at 944Cup/PCA events in the South

Please follow this link to my posting in 944=Spec.org http://www.944-spec.org/944SPEC/foru...ca944cup#14794
Old 12-12-2012 | 02:54 PM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

John,

Thanks for the invite. The Mid - South, and SE regions are both new, but enthusiastic regions, with a lot of cars in the build. Some crossover to help car counts, and get Toyo bucks, etc. makes sense. It's a long haul for me, but I may consider making the tow out there for Road Atlanta. The late March date runs over my kids spring break dates, but there is a NASA event there early in March that might be doable. It would be great to meet you!
Old 12-12-2012 | 03:00 PM
johntorg
Rennlist Member

Thanks, I am also trying to get the PCA guys to run 944-Spec with NASA and have at least one SP1 guy lined up. I hope we can get together at a racetrack somewhere.
Old 12-12-2012 | 10:22 PM
944hal
Pro

John,
What is the general feeling regarding the split start? The drivers voted not to do it at the PCA race at Road Atlanta last march. Haven't installed the Lexan yet. Hope the back is better. Great meeting you at Road Atlanta. Did you get to finish the enduro?
Old 12-12-2012 | 10:54 PM
johntorg
Rennlist Member

I don't know what happened at RA, since I missed that race, but I think the split start gives a cleaner race without those pesky 911s getting in the way. The ruling from on high is that we will have split starts as long as there are a sufficient number of cars in 944Cup.
Old 12-13-2012 | 02:01 PM
johntorg
Rennlist Member

If anyone would like to be added to the 944Cup mailing list, Please PM or E-mail me.
Old 12-13-2012 | 04:51 PM
Lou L
Rennlist Member

I understand the split start for the 944 Cup racers, But I'm a PCA racer who does not participate in the Cup championship, and honestly I'd like to race with my buddies who have boxsters and 911's. I would also think Cup guys wouldn't want me to be out there with them - so I'd like to start with the main pack, it would be great if we had that choice, race either cup or PCA. Just my opinion!
Old 12-13-2012 | 04:54 PM
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Lou L
I understand the split start for the 944 Cup racers, But I'm a PCA racer who does not participate in the Cup championship, and honestly I'd like to race with my buddies who have boxsters and 911's. I would also think Cup guys wouldn't want me to be out there with them - so I'd like to start with the main pack, it would be great if we had that choice, race either cup or PCA. Just my opinion!
Unless you're running SP3, then you'd be a half lap ahead of all the Supercup guys that start with the cup guys.
Old 12-13-2012 | 09:44 PM
Lou L
Rennlist Member

This is just a discussion, but I'd like to race the other cars that I've raced against for years, at my home track and all SP3's that do not want to do the split start. I'm a PCA racer. I'm in a PCA race, in a PCA car, in a PCA class, and I'm half a lap behind my buddies racing among guys battling for a race series I'm not involved in. I end up dicing with maybe 1 or 2 cars cause the other 60 cars had a half lap head start. I just think it would be nice to have the choice. I built the car to SP3 specs Before split starts.
Old 12-14-2012 | 12:38 AM
johntorg
Rennlist Member

The split start for the 944Cup has been in effect for several years, there are a lot of things we don't get to "vote" on. If anyone can figure out a way to score a race where cars in the same class start at different times, I guess it could work out.
Old 12-14-2012 | 12:59 AM
johntorg
Rennlist Member

Lou, The SP2 and 3 rules are actually maintained by the 944Cup organization and exist in PCA to accommodate that group. I'm not sure who currently maintains the SP1 rules, but it might be the Spec 944 guys. That they even became PCA classes is due to those groups.
Old 12-14-2012 | 04:35 PM
uscarrera
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Just a thought but should it not be up to the individual racer to choose which group he/she runs with especially if not interested in the Cup series?. If not a choice of the racer should not the PCA rule book reflect the fact that there may be a split start for SP1-2-and 3 cars based on a decision made at the time of each PCA race?
Old 12-14-2012 | 04:55 PM
Lou L
Rennlist Member

Interesting that the racers themselves voted against a split start at RA. Again I have no problem if Cup racers want to do a split start, but it shouldn't be mandatory. If people are worried about points and there is a split start, keep those groups separate, add some designation for cup racers and score them separate from non cup racers! Additionally as Rich said - add some verbiage to the PCA rules to address. It's frustrating that some races have it and some don't and you don't really know till you get there if you will be racing with your friends or not.
Old 12-14-2012 | 09:14 PM
johntorg
Rennlist Member

As far as i know all the PCA races for the past 3 years, shared with 944CUP,with a sufficient number of cars, had split starts, with the exception of the single Road Atlanta race. The agreement is that as long as there a 15 or more starters there will be a split start. It has been that way for several years and generally works well, providing a lot of 944 to 944 competition. Split starts are a fact of life for Spec E30 and Spec Miata in NASA. There are 21 so far in he field for Sebring, so there will be a split start. You could run GT3S and start with the rest of the field.

Please contact your PCA rep if you want to pursue this.
Old 12-14-2012 | 09:36 PM
uscarrera
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

HTML Code:
You could run GT3S and start with the rest of the field.

Yea Lou you wimp run that 4 cylinder in the red group as a GT3S and kick some 911 Cup Car ***

Quick Reply: Spec-944 cars invited to run at 944Cup/PCA events in the South