Old 12-12-2012 | 11:08 PM
911Königin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Here's a good teaching video -
https://vimeo.com/1122817

And this one -
https://vimeo.com/43731483
I think my car is in the first video And I couldn't watch all 30 minutes of the second one because it makes me want to be on the track. I was in tears every time I watched this summer because I wanted to be on the track sooooooooooooooo badly.
Originally Posted by gums
If you want to go racing, the DE route is not even a good one to pursue.
Go to a proper racing school and get licensed appropriately.
In a fraction of the time, too.
I know there is a good one near my sister, will have to check about one near me.
Originally Posted by por944s2
Karen,

Get a set of BFG R1's 225 (f) & 245(r) /45/16 from TireRack. They will last you all season, possibly more if you rotate them. Track down a set of 8 in D90 to run up front then use 245's all around. A good sticky tire to learn on. I'm sure other will say do something different, but I did that for a few seasons with great success. street tires suck R1's have much more life then R6's for maybe 1-2 seconds slower @ mid ohio, for example.
What's on it now - I haven't bothered to check
Originally Posted by mhm993
Q =

A= Yes, happens all the time at races.

That's what you asked, no?

-- Mindy
Mindy, in one of the other threads I was told tires were not sold at the tracks - thus the question.
Originally Posted by 944hal
Karen,
Be careful running the 245's all around the first time out. With stock sway bars, my turbo track car over steered terribly with the 245's up front. Only time it ever scared me. I still run 245's squared but with an adjustable rear sway. Good advice regarding the BFG R1's and rotating the tires. Also, if you want to get into racing quicker, a racing school is also good way to go. Downside. Not enough seat time. You can get a lot of situations thrown at you during a race and driving the car needs to automatic. Think about the old time fighter pilots. A dog fight was not the place to learn how to fly the plane.
Ex is a pilot and so I learned how to fly the plane enough to know how to get us on the ground
Old 12-13-2012 | 12:32 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Maybe I missed it, but Karen, tell us what track experience you have. We should know that before we start advising you on what tires to run and how to get a racing license.
Old 12-13-2012 | 10:12 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Ok, I see in another thread that Karen has done a total of zero track events to date. Based on that, I would advise that she ignore all of the advice about running on Hoosiers, or BFG's,... AND ignore the advice about going to a racing school. Get the car out on at most intermediate type track tires (RA1's, NT-01's,...) and get some seat time. Worry about upgrading to the high-end DOT-R's later. Invest in SEAT TIME, and see how things progress for you.
Old 12-13-2012 | 10:16 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Michelin Slicks and a 42' Gooseneck!
Old 12-13-2012 | 10:24 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Old 12-13-2012 | 11:27 AM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Originally Posted by mglobe
Ok, I see in another thread that Karen has done a total of zero track events to date. Based on that, I would advise that she ignore all of the advice about running on Hoosiers, or BFG's,... AND ignore the advice about going to a racing school. Get the car out on at most intermediate type track tires (RA1's, NT-01's,...) and get some seat time. Worry about upgrading to the high-end DOT-R's later. Invest in SEAT TIME, and see how things progress for you.
^ that's what I thought was the general consensus.

NO 'DOT R' tires until you are in at least an advanced run group. (blue or solo)....

-reason being when they give up traction, its very suddenly ... vs the more constant slipping of street tires.
Old 12-13-2012 | 11:58 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

From: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)

Originally Posted by mrbillfll

NO 'DOT R' tires until you are in at least an advanced run group. (blue or solo)....

-reason being when they give up traction, its very suddenly ... vs the more constant slipping of street tires.
And conversely, it's easier and safer to get experience with sliding a car around and develop car control by using street tires. IMO, lots of skidpad time (preferably instructed) is also highly advisable.
Old 12-13-2012 | 12:13 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

I buy used take-offs at the track... does that count?
Old 12-13-2012 | 12:27 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Van
I buy used take-offs at the track... does that count?
Ha! I get them free!
Old 12-13-2012 | 09:10 PM
911Königin
Rennlist Member

I fear my a$$ will be pretty sore by summer's end

Originally Posted by mrbillfll

Originally Posted by Manifold
IMO, lots of skidpad time (preferably instructed) is also highly advisable.
I think he'll want to fire me pretty quickly
Old 12-14-2012 | 01:30 AM
philstireservice
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by por944s2
Karen,

Get a set of BFG R1's 225 (f) & 245(r) /45/16 from TireRack. They will last you all season, possibly more if you rotate them. Track down a set of 8 in D90 to run up front then use 245's all around. A good sticky tire to learn on. I'm sure other will say do something different, but I did that for a few seasons with great success. street tires suck R1's have much more life then R6's for maybe 1-2 seconds slower @ mid ohio, for example.
I pretty sure you can get a better price on those BFG's from here - philstireservice.com
Old 12-14-2012 | 07:23 AM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

I would recommend sliding and screaching around on a set of street tires first. It may only be a few days but it gives you a benchmark and the provide significantly more feedback on the edge.

If your goal is to advance rapidly and to race, choose your instructor(s) wisely. The DE line will get you started, the race line(s) is(are) a different animal, especially at Mid Ohio.

And...I always pick up my tires at the track, often from Phil's. If you are doing a DE combined with a race weekend a tire vendor will be there. When you get to slicks the BFG R1's are equal to R6 but are more consisent through individual sessions and through their heat cycle life. Based on my experience (I did 11 races on the BFG's this year).

Understanding tire compounds, pressures, temperatures are unbelievably important. Get a little notebook and start keeping track of air temp, tire pressures before and after (hot). As you progress, continue to add more notes about handling. This will dial you into the track, car handling, tires and set up. As you progress you can gather more data.

And....have fun.
Old 12-14-2012 | 10:28 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Karen England
I fear my a$$ will be pretty sore by summer's end
Old 12-14-2012 | 11:32 AM
911Königin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by philstireservice
I pretty sure you can get a better price on those BFG's from here - philstireservice.com
Thanks
Originally Posted by disasterman
I would recommend sliding and screaching around on a set of street tires first. It may only be a few days but it gives you a benchmark and the provide significantly more feedback on the edge.

If your goal is to advance rapidly and to race, choose your instructor(s) wisely. The DE line will get you started, the race line(s) is(are) a different animal, especially at Mid Ohio.

And...I always pick up my tires at the track, often from Phil's. If you are doing a DE combined with a race weekend a tire vendor will be there. When you get to slicks the BFG R1's are equal to R6 but are more consisent through individual sessions and through their heat cycle life. Based on my experience (I did 11 races on the BFG's this year).

Understanding tire compounds, pressures, temperatures are unbelievably important. Get a little notebook and start keeping track of air temp, tire pressures before and after (hot). As you progress, continue to add more notes about handling. This will dial you into the track, car handling, tires and set up. As you progress you can gather more data.

And....have fun.
Add to list: Notebook

Quick Reply: Tires at Tracks