Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The 2013 Formula 1 Pre-Season Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 12:49 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Interesting to read recently that the COTA was actually designed by Tavo Helmund and Kevin Schwantz, not by Tilke who is getting all the credit. I was wondering about that because the circuit is clearly a departure from a typical Tilke kart track.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:20 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

Looks like Sutil is coming back to Force India next year...

http://www.crash.net/f1/news/186748/...ia_return.html

Adrian Sutil could be set for a return to F1 after being linked with Force India for the 2013 season.

The German drove with the team through its various guises from 2007 through to the end of 2011, when he was replaced by test driver Nico Hulkenberg.

An assault conviction over an incident involving Genii Capital's Eric Lux in a Shanghai nightclub played a part in Sutil failing to find a role in F1 for the current season, although he was an interested paddock visitor on more than one occasion during 2012 amidst continued talk he was eager to secure a return.

With Hulkenberg having elected to move to Sauber next year, Force India now has a vacancy for the 2013 campaign, with the likes of Jules Bianchi, Bruno Senna and Kamui Kobayashi all being mentioned as possible partners for Paul di Resta – who is set to continue for another season.

However, the team could instead elect to go back to the driver line-up it fielded last year according to reports, with the Indo-Asian News Service reporting that Sutil had emerged as the favourite to fill the second seat.

“[Paul] was always expected to carry on,” a team source was quoted as saying. “He has delivered so far and it makes sense to retain him.

"The announcement should take place next week. Adrian looks the best bet to partner di Resta as he has got the required experience in Formula One. At the same time, Mr. Mallya also considered all other available options."
Old 12-11-2012, 01:22 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Q&A with Tavo Hellmund: http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/ne...astermind.html

and then...

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/bl...ing-order.html

So it's far from over between those two...
Old 12-11-2012, 01:37 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh, I'm sure that Tavo made out just fine, and Bernie looked after him. He's in on this Southern California possibility, from what I hear.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:26 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gums
Oh, I'm sure that Tavo made out just fine, and Bernie looked after him. He's in on this Southern California possibility, from what I hear.
While SoCal with it's Banana Republic 3rd world feel to it looks like a slam dunk for Bernie I fear that it is only a rumor to scare his daughter Petra into thinking Dad is coming to visit. one between LA and San Diego might work
Old 12-11-2012, 02:46 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,281 Likes on 1,938 Posts

Originally Posted by FGL28
While SoCal with it's Banana Republic 3rd world feel to it looks like a slam dunk for Bernie I fear that it is only a rumor to scare his daughter Petra into thinking Dad is coming to visit. one between LA and San Diego might work
Camp Pendleton? Even the eastern portion of OC is full of housing. Don't see it happening although I would love it for sure.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:59 PM
tlarocque
Three Wheelin'

Received 70 Likes on 34 Posts

What SoCal thing? Don't tease me!
Old 12-11-2012, 05:23 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
Camp Pendleton? Even the eastern portion of OC is full of housing. Don't see it happening although I would love it for sure.
Pure speculation on my part on location. They need a real racetrack. It is close enough to Newport Beach, Irvine etc and it's high end hotels, restaurants, shopping, hot women, and exotic car dealerships. There are enough Hookers and Blow to keep Riad interested.

Where would they build in LA? A street circuit in South Central might be interesting if Local Indigenous Personal are allowed to take pot shots . Bernie should take the lead on this as SoCal has no money and typically the local governments seem to favor out of towers.

I do not know about Long Beach. The good news is hat Bernie's kid, Petra's hovel has enough room to land helicopters.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:57 AM
tlarocque
Three Wheelin'

Received 70 Likes on 34 Posts

I don't think the government is going to let anyone build a race track on Camp Pendelton (although I hear plenty of booms from Marine exercises so would be hard to argue about noise). Porsche is building an Experience center off the 405/110 which will be cool but not sure if it will be a real race course or if it would be made available to track day organizations. There is some land around the old El Toro air base. Either way, would have to be completely privately funded. We desperately need a track around here though.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:14 AM
DB_NC_95C2
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

anyone see that Norbie and Mercedes are parting company by mutual agreement ?
http://planetf1.com/driver/18227/833...a-massive-hole

I wonder who will become the new head of Mercedes motorsports activities ?

Methinks the combination of F1 team results and lack of DTM titles brought about the desire for a change by the board and Norbert probably said 'ok, I'll go'.
I met him in Sebring in '97 for the FIA-GT when the CLK-GTRs bested all comers, friendly guy, signed my Hakkinen book.

How long before Lewis (who can't keep his big yap shut and has to be quoted every other day) starts really moaning ?
Old 12-16-2012, 01:39 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

^^ Soon, very soon. Hamilton at MB is going to be very interesting. The Germans won't put up with his nonsense like the Brits did.

Haug was pushed and me thinks that MBF1 only has a few short years left in F1. They're more comfortable as an engine supplier rather than running their own team.
Old 12-16-2012, 02:16 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Sauber...pay close attention to Sauber if you are a Ferrari fan in 2013.
If Sauber is slow in pre season testing, Ferrari will likely struggle as well.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:08 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Regulation changes for 2013:

Formula 1™ is a constantly changing sport even when the technical regulations stay the same. Every year we at Vodafone McLaren Mercedes will change almost every aspect of our cars to keep pace with development – on average we develop a new part for our F1 cars every seven minutes, seven days a week, 12 months a year.

Change provides opportunities as well as challenges and the FIA, world motorsport’s governing body, recently announced some detail changes to the rules for the next two seasons.

From a technical perspective, the 2013 rule changes address some safety precautions as well as allowing for the extra weight of the new generation of Pirelli tyres. The car’s roll structures must meet new standards and new, more stringent crash tests will also be applied. The minimum weight of the car has increased by 2kg.

To combat the use of aero-elastic components the static load test will now be applied to all of each team’s survival cells, and the front wing test will permit no more than 10mm deflection rather than 20mm.

There has also been a change to the procedure when cars cannot return to the pits under their own power at the end of a track session. The existing rules state that each car must be able to provide a sample of at least one litre of fuel; from now on, if one stops on track, it must provide that quantity plus the amount of fuel that would have been consumed while driving back to the pits.

On the operational front, during practice sessions the Drag Reduction System (DRS) can now only be used in the same areas on track as it would during the race. Working hours have also been tightened up, with the personnel curfew now extending from six to eight hours on Thursday night, and the number of permitted exceptions dropping from four to two for the entire season.

Small changes, then, but important ones: every team is going to have to make more efficient use of its time at Grand Prix weekends, design even safer cars and be less marginal on fuel. Those are all challenges we’re ready for.
http://www.mclaren.com/formula1/page...ahead-for-2013
Old 12-20-2012, 11:04 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ilko
Interesting. I wonder why the Pirellis will be heavier next year. Also, the DRS is supposed to be used only in the DRS zones for all sessions, including qualifying, but that article only mentions exclusions in practice with no mention of qualifying.

The loophole on purposefully moving one of your two drivers back to benefit the other should be closed as well.
Old 12-20-2012, 03:07 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Another thing not mentioned is that they've made Adrien Brody's nose illegal, so next year's cars will look a little better.

Originally Posted by Pete
Interesting. I wonder why the Pirellis will be heavier next year. Also, the DRS is supposed to be used only in the DRS zones for all sessions, including qualifying, but that article only mentions exclusions in practice with no mention of qualifying.

The loophole on purposefully moving one of your two drivers back to benefit the other should be closed as well.
I think it will be in quali as well, I don't see why they'd exclude it.

Not sure how you can regulate that loophole Pete. It's damn near impossible.

Quick Reply: The 2013 Formula 1 Pre-Season Thread