Sponsored by:

Smallest fixed back race seat?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 09:32 PM
Paddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Smallest fixed back race seat?

Getting the wife's car sorted this winter for DE and need suggestions for small fixed back seats. She's 5-1 and weighs roughly 105lbs. What are my options?

Thanks, Paddy
Old 12-09-2012, 09:56 PM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Swing by OG Racing and take a look at the Sparco Rev, it might work for her.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:06 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

There are foam inserts molded to your body's shape that are designed to fit inside a larger seat. That might save you a bundle....
Old 12-09-2012, 10:16 PM
Paddy
Rennlist Member

Thanks. It looks like Rev dimensions might work with some padding.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:18 PM
Paddy
Rennlist Member

Thanks JR, any idea who makes those?
Old 12-09-2012, 10:44 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Paddy
No but I'll have a pro friend who uses one.....
Old 12-09-2012, 10:56 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I seem to recall that either Kirkey or Ultrashield make some smaller seats, but I could be wrong. I don't know how big you are, but If you could pad a larger seat, you could always remove the pads if you had to sit in it to move it around...
Old 12-09-2012, 11:22 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

I don't know if you can find them there in a good price, but, Bride seats are quite small.
I almost stuck in one.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:45 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 940 Likes on 570 Posts

Kirkey will custom make one for you. I've seen a 13" wide seat they made.

If you go with a bigger seat and want to make an insert, look at a bead seat insert. A couple of companies make them. There is also a Hans foam insert kit.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:06 AM
rhargy
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kirkey sells a kit to "custom foam" the fit. It might soak up enough room to avoid the custom route and let you use their stock 15". Good luck.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:48 AM
Paddy
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the insight. I'll head over to OG racing and try some of their Kirkey seats.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:02 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Paddy
Funny response from my friend-name removed of course....

"That insert I made with a crew guy in a jiffy out of those rubber matts for the floor in a rush assemblng the parts w/duct tape-no ****. Then had an upholstry guy put light foam and some black cloth on it to hide the fact that it was not flame proof materials as a Grand AM official once complained. Yet, I have done about 4 Rolex 24s and several sprint races with it since without additional drama. Had I known I would run so long with it I would have put more effort into it.

There are some companies that make a two part foam that goes into a bag, then one sits in it in the given seat ...then after it solidifies to shape you then remove or tear off the bag, tape it up with duct tape to keep foam from breaking down, then cover it with nomex so it is legal. A co-driver did this once but it naturally only fits a particular seat well. Best"...

So unfortunately he doesn't know who that manufacturer us but I'll bet you'll find out if you keep at it. Ask the pros on here....
Old 12-10-2012, 12:49 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

custom foam seat insert kits:

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/gr...ID=SEATFITTING

I've got one made by Bald Spot Sports:

http://www.baldspotsports.com/index.html

I wish I could tell you how good it is, but it's been sitting unused in a box on the shelf for the past year Seems like I always have other priorities when in the garage, hard to sit still for an hour while it sets up, guess I should bring a laptop and go to Rennlist while I wait...
Old 12-10-2012, 02:16 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 156 Likes on 104 Posts

That is a pretty small person. I am sure the folks at OG Racing and other stores that deal with the major manufacturers can help you identify a brand and a model.

One of my friends just bought a really small seat, and I think he said that the MFG makes just one in that size each year.

What kind of car is it? Does/will it have a cage?

I have recently been remounting my racing seat, and have taken a design path facilitated by my friends at Jerry Woods Enterprises (JWE) . If you want/must use sliders, they now swear by the 996/Boxster/GT3/GT# Cup double lockers over anything from companies like Sparco and Recaro. I have bought some of these sliders and it is easy to see why (I have both Sparco and Recaro for a direct comparison).

JWE make/sell special uprights and an attachment that facilitate the use of a racing seat with these sliders. Very nice set up that I am working with now. They also make/sell small mounts that can be welded into a non-996/Boxster/GT3/GT# Cup like my 1975 911. Then the sliders bolt right into these mounts.

As you might suspect, these parts are designed to facilitate getting as low as possible in the car. Then you can use spacers for shorter drivers.

Back to the seat....

I have seen folks try numerous things for drivers with slight builds that aren't very tall. If I had to address those issues, I would strongly consider a "bead seat" type of insert deal that pros use, over ubiquitous expanding foam. Or of course look into a custom alu seat. But if I did not want an alu seat after considering other trade-offs versus composite, I'd do the high-level insert.

As an instructor I have seen many instances where the larger person in a shared car was positioned well in a seat, and the smaller person had to make do. I have also seen smaller folks coming up through DE with less than optimized seating.

Good luck.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:59 PM
Paddy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Funny response from my friend-name removed of course....

"That insert I made with a crew guy in a jiffy out of those rubber matts for the floor in a rush assemblng the parts w/duct tape-no ****. Then had an upholstry guy put light foam and some black cloth on it to hide the fact that it was not flame proof materials as a Grand AM official once complained. Yet, I have done about 4 Rolex 24s and several sprint races with it since without additional drama. Had I known I would run so long with it I would have put more effort into it.

There are some companies that make a two part foam that goes into a bag, then one sits in it in the given seat ...then after it solidifies to shape you then remove or tear off the bag, tape it up with duct tape to keep foam from breaking down, then cover it with nomex so it is legal. A co-driver did this once but it naturally only fits a particular seat well. Best"...

So unfortunately he doesn't know who that manufacturer us but I'll bet you'll find out if you keep at it. Ask the pros on here....
That's great! Maybe I should send a Sparco Rev to WeatherTech and have them make a custom floor mat. I found some interesting Sparco made seat boosters that might work.

Thanks for all the suggestions

Quick Reply: Smallest fixed back race seat?