Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Traqmate-TraqStudio syncing help...

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 03:22 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Traqmate-TraqStudio syncing help...

That time of year, lol... Since there are a bunch of threads and discussions re data acq systems, I am wondering if anyone would share some simple and idiot proof (me ) techniques for syncing vid via TrackStudio. I can do it but it takes me time and multiple attempts to get the vid and the data to line up exactly - or close to exact, lol ... I have read the manual etc. and I did a search but did not see a thread on syncing specifically. Really looking for some real world proven ideas on simplifying the process. Hoping I am missing something.. The cam is a ContourHD if that matters at all. TIA!

Last edited by cello; 12-02-2012 at 08:08 PM. Reason: ..spelling
Old 12-02-2012, 05:45 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,153 Likes on 1,827 Posts

cello, I'm sorry but the beauty of TraqStudio is the ability to use the time base corrector in the electronic start/stop of the external camera to automatically sync it. With an unconnected camera, you're going to have to spend some time manually synching.

Now, this year for the first time, I spent some time manually synching because I would use my Traqmate with somebody's AiM SmartyCam, Go Pro or even MoTeC (ChaseCam) video at the track.

What I did was open the data file, select ALL LAPS (including the first "i" or incomplete lap), then select the video that went with it, open the TraqStudio settings dialog, decouple the video and data like you're doing now by selecting the data radio button.

Then, I would move the slider on the bottom until the GPS speed started going up. Then, I would select the video button and use the slider until the car started moving. Then, click "OK" and you're very close.

Moving the slider forward, play the combination and watch the red light in the speedo noting deceleration at the beginning of the longest braking zone and fine tune backing up or forwarding the data until the sound and the nose dive matches the red light coming on.

The other way I do it is to play forward leaving the pits the combined video/data and adjust it so the shifts extinguish the green light and the power application after the shift lights the green light again perfectly.

I have had people use a brake light switch actuated LED in the camera field, then sync the decal in the data with that. MoTeC had a "squawker" or tone generator to assist in the coordination between the video and data! <grin>

Break down, buy a GoPro Hero 2 or soon, a RePlay HD and a TraqSync cable and never have to do this again!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 12-02-2012, 07:48 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Yes, Peter's method is what I've used in the past. Play data to the point the car just starts rolling (based on MPH in a time-based graph that shows the initial lap (leaving the paddock or garage). Then play the video to the point where the car starts to move. Then press "both" - and viola, you're synched.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:07 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Thanks guys.

The described method sounds good. Cant use it on my current crop of vids/data files tho: I have been starting the vid in grid so its not running until just before we pit out (as I've found that I get immense vid files while sitting there waiting for someone to be towed off or oil dry being laid down or the like .. I have also been shutting down the TM on the cool down lap. So, I think I've made the job harder as I don't have the easy reference points. I have been trying to sync by S/F line or by Vmin data/corner apex location and then cross checking against shifting/braking, etc... A time consuming PITA.

I purchased the cam before the TM. Will reassess cam this winter, Peter.
Auto vid sync is what I need to do me thinks...
Old 12-02-2012, 08:29 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by cello
Thanks guys.

Auto vid sync is what I need to do me thinks...
You'll really like it.

Just so that TM/GP, Sony HDR and ChaseCam PDR people don't feel left out, it's important to realize that this combination can yield the best "stainless steel carrot" of them all, the VIDEO theoretical best lap (TBL).

I'll explain in a TrackPro Advisors Track Tip shortly. Only MoTeC has this capability...
Old 12-02-2012, 08:59 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

^ Peter, OK, you've nicely piqued my interest !

Can you please elaborate? What exactly is the Vid version of the TBL? Is it a vid of the best segments stitched together - ie plays like a normal vid/data overlay? In practice, how does it look; ie, relatively seemless or choppy/pieced together?

TIA!
Old 12-03-2012, 09:01 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

^ Peter, OK, you've nicely piqued my interest !

Can you please elaborate? What exactly is the Vid version of the TBL? Is it a vid of the best segments stitched together - ie plays like a normal vid/data overlay? In practice, how does it look; ie, relatively seemless or choppy/pieced together?

TIA!
Hahaha! No, gotta get it from them but even in HD, there's a way not to have it choppy, takes one more step... In SD, it's not choppy at all.

Plays normally and gives the best sector lap number, too, so you can go back and dig deeper.

Most people won't need to do anything more when they are able to SEE themselves DRIVE their TBL.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:06 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use Contour too, only when I try to write the video it gives me some nonsense about the Codec not working. Have you tried writing any videos?
Old 12-03-2012, 03:46 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Hahaha! No, gotta get it from them but even in HD, there's a way not to have it choppy, takes one more step... In SD, it's not choppy at all.

Plays normally and gives the best sector lap number, too, so you can go back and dig deeper.

Most people won't need to do anything more when they are able to SEE themselves DRIVE their TBL.
That sounds great !! Thanks, Peter.

Originally Posted by wanna911
I use Contour too, only when I try to write the video it gives me some nonsense about the Codec not working. Have you tried writing any videos?
Yeah its a PITA. IIRC I think the TS does not like .MOV files. You can usually change the extension name; ie, from video.MOV to video.MP4 or .MPEG or the like (something supported by TS) - just rename same and type in the new extension. Then it should write same. The problem I have found is that Vimeo will not recognize the 'written vid' done in that manner and so I cannot post data vids.....

Really thinking on getting a new camera that mates to the TM per Peter's advise above to avoid this BS ..
Old 12-03-2012, 03:52 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Traqstudio wasn't installed correctly, Dez. Try installing it again.

<<oops, I forgot about the .mov issue, but cello's renaming idea works, too>>
Old 12-03-2012, 03:58 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Really thinking on getting a new camera that mates to the TM per Peter's advise above to avoid this BS ..
SO much simpler...
Old 12-03-2012, 04:17 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 922 Likes on 562 Posts

^^+1. The best thing to do is make it fool proof and easy.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:35 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have done the renaming trick(hidden files etc. etc.), works for using videos in traqstudio, but not writing them. In fact on the Contour GPS you can change the output files to MP4 as default. And it STILL won't write them. Tried this on two computers, no worky.

If I have to get a new camera, I'm selling and going to VVbox.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:26 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I have done the renaming trick(hidden files etc. etc.), works for using videos in traqstudio, but not writing them. In fact on the Contour GPS you can change the output files to MP4 as default. And it STILL won't write them. Tried this on two computers, no worky.

Ok. Please buy it from me, if you do.

When selling the TM, just make it clear to those that already have the GoPro Hero 2 that they'll have no problems. All they'll need is a TraqSync Pro cable.

I'll see if there's a way to do this more easily (or even just to DO it), but I don't use, recommend or have any experience using the Contour in concert with the Traqmate.

I recommend what the manufacturer recommends, which was first the ChaseCam, then the Sony HDR-CX1XX (what a PITA) and now the GoPro Hero 2 (NOT the 3).
Old 12-04-2012, 12:20 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 292 Likes on 147 Posts

Smart move

Get it by cota so we can swap data

Quick Reply: Traqmate-TraqStudio syncing help...