Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Racing Schools

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 10:35 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,312 Likes on 2,453 Posts
Default Racing Schools

I've done about 50 DE track days at tracks from WG to VIR. Over the winter, I'd like to go south and do one or two racing schools, in the process also driving a new track or two. I hope to race next season, otherwise the season after, probably in a spec Porsche, with PCA, NASA, and possibly other clubs.

I've done the BMW CCA race school, so I have some familiarity and comfort with practice starts, passing, adjusting lines, etc., so with the next race school I'd ideally like to build on that, hopefully learning some "advanced" techniques, rather than just repeating what I already did.

Suggestions would be appreciated. A couple options I've identified so far are the Skip Barber three-day race school (but their Formula car is unlike a spec Porsche) and the Porsche Masters+ school.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:10 AM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 184 Likes on 111 Posts

Go to Bob Bondurant in Pheonix, AZ. take their 3 - 4 day Grand prix Road Racing Course. Upon successful completion, you are eligible for a SCCA racing license.

Dont waste your time with Porsche SDS.

Good Luck
Old 11-30-2012, 12:04 PM
SoClose
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

We took the 3 day Barber school at Laguna Seca several years ago.
There were only 4 students that had driving/racing experience.
The instructors were easy on those with little interest/experience, and pushed the 4 of us very hard- cut us no slack at all.
We learned much more than I thought we would, especailly as we had already been racing for 7 or 8 years at that time. I am still conscious about several of those drills/concepts every track weekend.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:08 PM
SoClose
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

BTW, the cars at Barber did everything that you asked of them.
Oversteer, understeer, whatever- just like a textbook.
In my opinion, completely applicable to whatever we drive today.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:38 PM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

I did the skip barber three day racing school with a buddy at Moroso a few years back. Surprisingly, there were quite a few participants with some prior driving/racing skills (including a karting champ from brazil). I would look at the Skip Barber school as a good way to reinforce good practices, consolidate your understanding of vehicle dynamics/theory, undergo practical exercises in car control, and get a glimpse/smattering/intro to actual wheel-to-wheel racing... They are very risk averse, and really try to reign in any aggression or competition during the school (don't let them know you are going with a friend, or they will automatically put you in separate groups to avoid aggressive competition). A lot will depend on the instructors (and we had excellent ones), and keeping an open mind. And, it was fun heading down to florida out of the cold and have a driving experience over the long winter break. Downside is that it is pretty pricey, and not too much actual wheel-to-wheel racing.

I also did the two-day SCCA race school at Summit Point several years ago (held every spring i believe)... now this school was almost the exact opposite. The classroom was decent (focused more on actual racing situations, flags, safety, etc), but the on-track experience was awesome. Tons and tons of track time and the instructors actually (almost to a fault) create competitive situations and demand a lot of passing (reverse grids, ball-breaking criticisms in the classroom if you are a wimp). Plenty of places that rent and support for the school (given the schedule, it woudl be very hard to crew for yourself). Downside is that this school can be a crash-fest and the cadre of instructors may not be comparable to what you get at Skip Barber... there are quite a few guys with limited driving experience, huge fields of similar cars (mostly spec miatas in my group), reverse grids, lots of adrenaline, fatigue/task saturation can be a factor for many given the schedule. But overall, it is probably the best bang-for-your buck school to get actual wheel-to-wheel experience, and forces you to make dramatic leaps along the particularly steep portion of the racing learning curve (and in a car that may be more palatable to write-off than your p-car).
Old 11-30-2012, 12:59 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,853 Likes on 960 Posts

http://www.jimrussellusa.com/program...racing-stage-i
Old 11-30-2012, 01:06 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Bertil Roos has the best reputation for higher level instruction on during the intro racing school.

Don't be afraid of a formula car. It is just a car with four contact patches. Just a little lighter and quicker than a Porsche
Old 11-30-2012, 03:55 PM
morsini
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did Bertil Roos at VIR. Lots of track time and wheel to wheel racing and no bs. That is, we were allowed to go at it full on when it was time to race.

Quick Reply: Racing Schools