JRZ VS Bilstein RSR shocks

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 06:18 PM
Abby997
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Default JRZ VS Bilstein RSR shocks

Hey Guys,
I recently got my hands on a 87 G50 and in the process of rebuilding the suspension for track duties. The car will be used on the track whenever I have a chance; it will be used on the street as well during the weekend and such.

I have 2 options in mind, one is JRZ race double adjustable and the other one is RSR Bilsteins custom valved. the price difference between both set ups is $4500. I can afford the difference in price, but having a hard time justify it.

For guys with JRZ set up, would you guys say they worth the extra money? What are your experiences with JRZ shocks compare to RSR shocks or bilstein shocks in general?

I am a novice and have about a dozen track days under my belt. Will I be able to use the JRZs to their protential at my skill level?

The car will have matching torsion bars for either shop ,camber plates, front and rear bushings, bump steer kit, sways, big brakes, rear bolt in roll bar, 8" and9" fuchs on r-compounds.

Thanks a lot guys!
Old 11-10-2012, 09:30 AM
darrendeguire
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had Bilstein RSR's on my 993 turbo and DE'd and then raced with them for 6 years. Then moved to two way Motons (similar to JRZ's) and it was worth 2 seconds a lap at Road America. My Bilstein's were not custom valved either. If it's for DE's I think the custom valved Bilstein's with proper springs will support you very well. For sure you would not use the JRZ's to their full potential just yet. Frankly I don't think I use my Moton's to their full potential. Depending your personality there is one nice thing about the Bilstein's over the JRZ's...you won't be thinking about changing the rebound or compression on them and thinking that is the reason you aren't going faster. The Bilsteins aren't adjustable and instead of thinking about your shock settings you will be focused on your driving skills which is by far (other than safety) is the most important thing to be focused. Just my .02's. Good luck.
Old 11-10-2012, 04:47 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

I agree with Darren, especially if you don't run on super bumpy tracks, the Bilsteins will be fine. Your car is a well known setup and the valving can bet set excellently for your car. BTW I have a new pair of RSR front inserts if you want to save a little money.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:34 PM
Abby997
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts

Guys, Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated!

Mike, I will see what happens in the next couple of days. If I am in need of the inserts, I will take them off your hands.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:18 AM
Turn3 Autosport
Former Vendor

Some of the bilstein "based" shocks for this application are adjustable..... But for this purpose, custom valved shocks/struts with raised spindles provide plenty of performance. The base "RSR" valving provided off the shelf from Bilstien can certainly be improved upon as well.

Cheers
Old 11-11-2012, 04:40 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Pacific Western Performance
The base "RSR" valving provided off the shelf from Bilstein can certainly be improved upon as well.
Cheers
Boy howdy!!!!

There is a LOT of room for improvement.

Still,........one should drive a Bilstein-equipped car against a JRZ-equipped one to feel the immediate differences, even on the street. Its really amazing when using larger torsion bars,......
Old 11-11-2012, 07:45 AM
pmason
Burning Brakes

I have the RSRs on my 84 and really like them, the car is a mix, DE/Street. Don't get out to the track much anymore now that have the race car.

Quick Reply: JRZ VS Bilstein RSR shocks