Mounting tires with Tirelief valves

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 07:32 PM
ChiCampbell
6th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Mounting tires with Tirelief valves

Hi,

Thinking about using the Longacre Tirelief pressure valves in the quick release adapters that go in the valve stem hole. Does anyone have experience with this type of set up? how do you handle tire changes? thanks
Old 10-31-2012, 01:58 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Interesting idea.

I think I'll wait a year and see if it causes any problems before I drill a 3/8ths hole in a set of wheels only to discover the thing isn't as useful as I'd wish.

It seems to me that I experiment with pressures in 0.5 psi increments up and down ... this thing doesn't seem that accurate. Maybe it is. I guess you find your "ceiling" hot temp and dial this valve in by trial and error. I don't see why it's not bluetooth-enabled with a smart-phone app...

http://www.longacreracing.com/instru....asp?INSTID=55

I think the most common and effective way to arrive at preferred hot temps involves compensating at "hot lap into the hot pit" pressures. This thing would need to be "calibrated" using cold air at hot pressures, then air down to the cold temp pressure and repeat the adjustment experiment using hot laps once it "relieves" pressure.

I'm not sure this actually reduces the work to get things "right" but if it was consistent, it would be great to go out on cold slicks with enough pressure to make them effective on the out lap if it were possible to be confident they'd stay at ideal pressure.

I guess I like the idea, but the first time one of these things fails, the product has to be withdrawn from the market, otherwise, when one fails and kills someone, Longacre is out of business.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:52 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Never tried them, but when I'm putting something in my race car, I like to think about not only the potential benefit, but the possible failure modes, the likelihood of failure, and the consequences. In the end, simple almost always wins out because added complexity leads to higher probability of failure. In this case, the consequence of failure seems significant enough to avoid the device.

Quick Reply: Mounting tires with Tirelief valves