Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cali T1 Corvettes Switch en masse to NASA ST2....

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 09:04 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Cali T1 Corvettes Switch en masse to NASA ST2....

From the SCCA forum:
"The West Coast group of T1 drivers voted earlier this evening (Sat) to move en masse to NASA ST-2 for the 2013 season. By combining the West Coast group of twelve ex T1 drivers with the existing NASA ST-2 drivers, the west coast NASA ST-2 class is expected to offer some well subscribed, exciting races during the upcoming 2013 season.

This group of passionate, dedicated drivers spent hundreds of hours lobbying SCCA over the course of several months trying to save the T1 class. Unfortunately both the SCCA BoD and CRB did not listen to their customers and, as a result, forced the move from SCCA over to NASA."

Individual T1 racers have joined me in ST2 occasionally over the past few years and it's always been great fun and close racing. It appears we'll now have 10-12 of them to compete with next year and I'm really looking forward to the competition. I love the roar of those beasts blasting down the straights. NASA has modified the ST2 class multiplier for 2013 dropping it down .7 to a base of 8.0:1 (Weight/WHP). We've been predominately my 996, a fast M3, and a group of tube framed Mazda GT's. So we'll all be a lttle faster and very well matched next year. I'm excited....

Welcome So Cal T1 racers....
Old 10-21-2012, 11:42 PM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

WOW....great news...... I have been considering building a 5.0L engine for my race 928 to bump it to around 9-1 vs its GTS3 11-1 status now...... If there are more cars in ST2, then its worth it....bummer is those Vettes are FAST
Old 10-22-2012, 12:16 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by IcemanG17
WOW....great news...... I have been considering building a 5.0L engine for my race 928 to bump it to around 9-1 vs its GTS3 11-1 status now...... If there are more cars in ST2, then its worth it....bummer is those Vettes are FAST
The fastest ST2 Corvette I've run against is Bill Brinkoff from Nor Cal. He ran a 1:43:005 at Sears Point/Sonoma a few weeks back breaking the ST2/TTS track record by 1.5 seconds. He's a great driver....

FWIW I'm at Sears this coming weekend w/PRC. It's been 6 years since I was there so I'm just hoping to stay on track and finish. Say hello if you're there.....
Old 10-22-2012, 12:35 AM
Eric S
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

John,
Sorry I am going to miss the fun w/ you guys in my backyard. Good luck, you'll be on it quickly.

Going to run a track weekend at Reno Fernley for 3 days. First time there as well, should be a blast. Only 23 turns on this track so will need a map.

Eric

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
The fastest ST2 Corvette I've run against is Bill Brinkoff from Nor Cal. He ran a 1:43:005 at Sears Point/Sonoma a few weeks back breaking the ST2/TTS track record by 1.5 seconds. He's a great driver....

FWIW I'm at Sears this coming weekend w/PRC. It's been 6 years since I was there so I'm just hoping to stay on track and finish. Say hello if you're there.....
Old 10-22-2012, 01:07 AM
winders
Race Car

Received 873 Likes on 432 Posts

JR,

I didn't realize that my car is a little faster than the ST2 cars.....my power to weight ratio is about 8.7:1.

I won't be racing at Sears Point this weekend, but I do plan on coming up on Saturday to watch and go to the PRC BBQ....

I'll have to track you down so I can finally meet you. Are you getting a garage?

Scott
Old 10-22-2012, 01:15 AM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Bill is a GREAT driver.....he put down a 1:50.8 at Thunderhill (bypass) for TTS record earlier this year 366hp @ 3250lbs......

It would be fun to setup my car as a GTS4-ST2 car......beating Bill will be nearly impossible.....but it would be fun trying.....
Old 10-22-2012, 01:39 PM
Krokodil
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Sandbagging already? Usually you wait until the weekend

I will be there with JR (I have never run Sears) and can hopefully stay close. It should be fun.

Cheers,
Old 10-22-2012, 01:54 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

John: I'll be there. I'll be in the garages with the Jerry Woods folk.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:06 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Tom W
John: I'll be there. I'll be in the garages with the Jerry Woods folk.
Tom I look forward to saying hello. It's been awhile.....
Old 10-23-2012, 12:08 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by winders
JR,
I'll have to track you down so I can finally meet you. Are you getting a garage?
Scott
No garage, I'll be in the POC designated spot. Look forward to meeting you too Scott. So do you look like your cousin?...
Old 10-23-2012, 12:46 AM
winders
Race Car

Received 873 Likes on 432 Posts

No garage, I'll be in the POC designated spot. Look forward to meeting you too Scott. So do you look like your cousin?...
I will look over there for you!

My cousin is an old man!! Hell no, I don't look like him!!

My cousin takes after his dad who looks like my grandfather (Winders). I take after my dad who looks like my grandmother's (Malone) side of family. Also, I am 6' 3" and he is 5' 10" or so. A shrimp!!

Is "you know who" going to be there?

Scott
Old 10-23-2012, 01:39 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by winders
I will look over there for you!

My cousin is an old man!! Hell no, I don't look like him!!

My cousin takes after his dad who looks like my grandfather (Winders). I take after my dad who looks like my grandmother's (Malone) side of family. Also, I am 6' 3" and he is 5' 10" or so. A shrimp!!

Is "you know who" going to be there?

Scott
I don't think so....

Quick Reply: Cali T1 Corvettes Switch en masse to NASA ST2....