Sponsored by:

F1 on NBC "official"

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 10:12 AM
MikeJim
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F1 on NBC "official"

NBC confirmed that all races will be aired live on NBC Sports Channel, with live streaming also planned for the 20-race schedule, as well as practice sessions and qualifying. More than 100 hours of programming are expected.

(This sounds like NBC's pitch for the Olympics...and they ended up putting most of the live content on streaming instead of TV.)

The four NBC races for 2013 are the Canadian Grand Prix June 9, then the final three races of the season at Abu Dhabi, Austin and Brazil in November.

Five F1 races – Malaysia, China, Germany, Belgium, Korea – will serve as lead-ins to IndyCar races – St. Petersburg, Long Beach, Toronto, Sonoma and Houston. Those occur on March 24, April 14, July 14, Aug. 25 and Oct. 6, respectively.

http://www.racer.com/formula-1-lands...rticle/263645/
Old 10-20-2012, 11:01 AM
tlarocque
Three Wheelin'

Received 70 Likes on 34 Posts

I guess this is good news. Will be anxious to hear who will be doing the commentating.
Old 10-20-2012, 12:09 PM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Well, if Practice and Quali are online then it looks like I'll be missing those, just as I've been missing all of ALMS. So, this sucks in my opinion. No sure how many households get Velocity Channel compared to NBC-SC, but I think it would have been well received and handled there. And the fans may have felt like it had a fitting home.
Old 10-20-2012, 01:54 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,328 Likes on 1,968 Posts

If NBCSN doesn't air live practice and qualifying on television, it's a major fail. Even the NASCARcentric SPEEDTV aired those squeezing them in between every nonsense show imaginable.

If you're a NBC exec and you just secured rights to air F1 for 4 years, you also paid for the practice and qualifying content, why would you not air those over non-live events that are aired?

I'm not a fan of watching streaming video on a laptop vs. a 55" HDTV with surround sound.
Old 10-20-2012, 02:22 PM
provoste
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
If NBCSN doesn't air live practice and qualifying on television, it's a major fail. Even the NASCARcentric SPEEDTV aired those squeezing them in between every nonsense show imaginable.

If you're a NBC exec and you just secured rights to air F1 for 4 years, you also paid for the practice and qualifying content, why would you not air those over non-live events that are aired?

I'm not a fan of watching streaming video on a laptop vs. a 55" HDTV with surround sound.

Agreed, This sucks. Especially considering that most of the air time for practice and qualifying is early morning when there is nothing else on TV! I've found a way to deal with the online broadcasts- I unhook the HDMI cable from my cable box and hook it into my laptop. Full screen HD with surround sound! That's how I'm watching the Petit Le Mans right now...
Old 10-20-2012, 02:51 PM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Our DSL it a little too slow to allow decent streaming, and we're not paying more just for me to watch racing. Plus, being able to let the DVR get things is great; watching it when I can, stop & resume where I left off. - Took me about 5 days to get through the 24 hrs of LeMans.
Old 10-20-2012, 03:12 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,328 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Originally Posted by provoste
Agreed, This sucks. Especially considering that most of the air time for practice and qualifying is early morning when there is nothing else on TV! I've found a way to deal with the online broadcasts- I unhook the HDMI cable from my cable box and hook it into my laptop. Full screen HD with surround sound! That's how I'm watching the Petit Le Mans right now...
Interesting. Are you able to DVR it this way too?
Old 10-20-2012, 03:18 PM
SirLapsalot
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by provoste
How/where do you guys stream these races from?
Old 10-20-2012, 03:24 PM
provoste
Rennlist Member

Interesting. Are you able to DVR it this way too?
No unfortunately no DVR function. I'm basically just using my main LCD TV as a monitor for my laptop, and I have my surround sound wired off my TV- that's how the surround sound works with it all. I'm streaming from ESPN3 right now
Old 10-20-2012, 03:29 PM
provoste
Rennlist Member

I just took this photo to show you my set up
Attached Images  
Old 10-20-2012, 09:17 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

+1 and surprisingly I have faith...

I have a lot of faith and its certainly not because of NBC...

It's because of a tiny little gray haired man with stainless steel *****...

I highly doubt that Bernie would make a deal that lacks exposure for his circus and their sponsors.

If it was for NBC, it would suck ***** big time no doubt (they were beyond clues with Olympics) but Bernie must've given them stern marching orders.
If not, I'll find a way to Find European coverage (Sky or BBC) somehow and will be happy no doubt.

Last edited by Flying Finn; 10-20-2012 at 09:49 PM.

Quick Reply: F1 on NBC "official"