Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Garage floor coating advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 08:54 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 324 Posts

Won't the tile be extremely slippery when it's wet? Won't a jack or jack stands crack it?
Old 10-13-2012, 11:25 PM
prg
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Sherwinn-Williams epoxy and it has worked well. Make sure you use plenty of grit mixed in it. We didn't have enough grit in the first batch we applied. It was slicker than snot on a glass door **** when wet!
I have had no issues with delamination from the concrete. It does scuff relatively easily. Dropped heavy objects haven't cracked it or marred the finish.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:39 AM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

+5-6 on garagejournal.com and +1-2 on EpoxyCoat which I've had down for ~5 years.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=5272
Old 10-15-2012, 10:39 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Leigh2
The tile place I am working with has a membrane that goes between the concrete and the tile. It allows the concrete expansion joints to work without cracking the tile...we'll see. They are recommending the larger tiles and I like the look, I expect some will crack I'll have some spares just in case. It is a garage floor but I know I'm going to be completely **** about it for a year or two....I'm hoping to have enough cars in it to cover any flaws
I maintain 5 dealerships and a body shop with tile floors and would not recomend a tile over 12X12. Take care in which tile you get too. Some are harder than others and some are slippery as heck when wet or dirty. Tile itself is not "strong" at all. the strength comes from being installed without any voids on a solid base. I have had problems with pressure cracks with the tile where it is laid over control membrane.

Originally Posted by docwyte
Won't the tile be extremely slippery when it's wet? Won't a jack or jack stands crack it?
No when good tile is used and installed 100% right it is well up to the task. It is more slippery than an epoxy floor that has anti slip grit. if you get a tile that is rough enough right out of the box to be very slip resistant it will also be hard to keep clean. Trust me I know. I have one dealer shop that has a true tile from hell. it is not very slippery but you can see footprints just from walking across it. It can be scrubbed clean if high % degreasers are used but you then have to back over with a clear water wash to remove the degreaser film or the tile is slippery when wet.
The down side to all tile is the grout. The grout lines trap crud when you are sweeping and it will soak up stains unless you use epoxy based grouts. I have yet to find a grout sealer that works well in a com shop enviroment.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:46 AM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm digging my RaceDeck flooring, although it has lost its original sheen, but who cares?
Attached Images  
Old 10-15-2012, 11:54 AM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

As I understand it, all tiles are rated for three things. One is hardness (the PEI scale of 1-5) -- and you want a 4 or 5 tile for a garage application. One is coefficient of friction -- different building codes require different degrees of non-slipperiness (but most tiles sold as floor tiles will be fine, unlike bathroom/wall tiles). Tiles are also rated for moisture content, which has to be appropriate for whether they'll be exposed to sub-freezing temperatures.

I didn't do anything at all to avoid cracking (like a membrane, or even non-standard thinset and grout). Maybe I was just lucky, but my pad was poured when Calvin Coolidge was President, is NOT flat, and I'm right near the La Brea Tar Pits (which means both earthquakes and huge amounts of asphaltum oozing around underneath the local properties). My pad had been crudely extended when a modern door was added, so there was a 24" section of amateur, wheelbarrow mix that was about an inch lower than the rest of the pad.

Plus, the installer (me) had never touched a bag of thinset in his life. And that was in March of 2008. Four and a half years later, I still love my floor.

Tiles are like the concrete they sit on. They're very strong in compression, but weak in tension. So you can balance a pick-up truck on a single tile, if it's installed without voids under it. But you can also snap one in your hand.

I used the basic thinset and basic grout. I drop tools, jack up the car, and move 800# cabinets over the stuff. I could post the video clip again, but I'm hitting the tile with a sledge hammer -- enough to make the camera jump up and down on the floor. No damage.

My solution to the issue of the grout getting stained was to use dark brown grout. It's hard to stain something that's dark brown. I've spilled everything you can spill on it and can't see any change.

Last edited by JackOlsen; 10-15-2012 at 12:22 PM.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:08 PM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by David Edwards
Euclid Diamond Hard
David,

Let me know how it goes. I will be building in So Fla later this year and have struggled with this too.

! Juan
Old 10-15-2012, 03:39 PM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm with Jack on the tile thing.

I've laid about 1,000ftsq since starting to learn in the past two years and am a firm believer.

No need to spend a fortune, just do the job correctly - I am a big believer in the Ditra membrane, but it can add to the price of materials.

Advise aganst large format tiles - the problem with these is lipage, flatness and the possibility of voids.

Ditto with the grout; go dark and you won't care about staining.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:53 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default garage floor coating

OK, I've had a number of garages, tried many coatings. My current garagehas the best floor coating I have used. It is coated with Sherwin Williams rexthane http://protective.sherwin-williams.c...3Aproduct-6872
Nothing penetrates it, not brake fluid, lacquer thinner, or anything. It is real easy to clean and wears very well. I did two coats on a 6 month old concrete floor. It lists for about 300 bucks a gallon, but the guys at SW were great and with a little negotiating, I got it for around $110 per gallon. It is a single part product and moisture assists curing (great for newer concrete). If you are buying 5 gallons, negotiate 5 single gallon containers(I did) for the same price. This stuff needs to be used when opened. Best product I have found!
Attached Images  
Old 10-17-2012, 09:31 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

My understanding is that porcelain is better than ceramic since it is not glazed, and the colour goes all the way through.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:37 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Nope. Both are clay-based. Porcelain tile can be glazed (like ceramic) or 'through-bodied.' Through-body has the material itself colored to the final tint. Most porcelain is glazed, however -- with a neutral color body underneath it. So if it does chip, you'll see another color where the chip is.

There is also rectified porcelain, which is cut after it's fired, which gives it an absolutely flat shape, allowing closer placement and (sometimes) the elimination of grout altogether.

Both through-bodied and rectified are significantly more expensive.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:52 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

So is any of these product tougher than the others, or does it then simply become a matter of taste and budget? And is any better as a flooring application?
Old 10-18-2012, 12:38 AM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Yes. On the tile front, porcelain is better than ceramic because it's harder (and also tends to have a lower moisture content). And through-bodied is better than glazed -- in that if you do chip a tile, it will be less visible. (But then, you can always replace a damaged tile.)
Old 10-18-2012, 08:12 PM
Viperbob1
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

This is a fellow Porsche Racer that owns a franchise operation for some of the best and most creative products you will find. Want a logo floated into the floor, no prob. If you ever went to about have the ballparks in the US and Disney you will find his products. Truly amazing

http://www.flycti.com/Default.aspx?PID=3

Quick Reply: Garage floor coating advice