Sponsored by:

Killer Bee for sale

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 08:27 PM
Johninrsf
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Killer Bee for sale

Reluctantly, I am selling the infamous Killer Bee, the subject of various magazine articles and covers (e.g. Excellence Dec. 2009), setter of 6 track records in POC in GT2 Class! A car that has run 1:20.4 at Willow Springs and won 2 POC Championships.
KB is a 1976 chassis with 993 bodywork and 997 GT3 Cup motor tweaked and re-built by Porsche Motorsports to 397 RWHP, and set up perfectly as its record would indicate. A very fun car to drive and beat up on Cup cars. A car that others have tried to copy, but none have come close to achieving the times or record.
Embarrassed to say I have well over $200K in the car with $75K in the drivetrain alone (motor, tranny/intercooler/LSD, harness, ECU) and it will probably sell for $.30 on the dollar.
Please PM me if any interest before I start to advertise.
Thanks,
JP
Old 10-09-2012, 02:25 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

This car is a beast! Hope it stays on the west coast. I think you should take it up to Laguna this weekend to see what it can do there with no sound limit.

a couple of pictures from Max at Pelican - http://www.flickr.com/photos/max_911_fahrer/
Attached Images   
Old 10-09-2012, 02:47 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Bump for a legendary southern California car.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:54 PM
Johninrsf
Racer

Never saw those pics. Thanks, Cory.
Thanks, Jack!
Old 10-09-2012, 09:24 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Cool-*** car, but is that at Willow? Place looks like a dump....
Old 10-09-2012, 09:44 PM
mklaskin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Willow is actually a great Club track. Fast, good vantage points, paved paddock. When I lived in LA, I used to love to go watch the POC guys run.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:49 PM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

sweet ride glws
Old 10-09-2012, 10:03 PM
claykos
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 42 Posts

I miss mine....
glws
Old 10-10-2012, 09:40 AM
gums
Rennlist Member

Claykos, is that car the old Aspen Knolls car in your avatar? Where is it?
Old 10-10-2012, 12:10 PM
claykos
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by gums
Claykos, is that car the old Aspen Knolls car in your avatar? Where is it?
Yes, i restored the car. It's currently residing in iur garage.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:29 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Not to derail the thread, but if you're interested in pictures, I have a few. I was with that team when it ran the Rolex in '99 and with that car in 2000. I think it was the first water cooled year, and none finished!
Old 10-11-2012, 12:55 AM
Johninrsf
Racer

Originally Posted by gums
Cool-*** car, but is that at Willow? Place looks like a dump....
POC's 18 race season is held at many West Coast tracks, but Willow is informally our home base. It looks like a dump compared to East Coast tracks primarily because there's nothing green around the track --it sits in the desert. The other reason is: it IS kind of a dump! (most of us have a love/hate relationship with the track and facility)
The following is taken from the Willow Springs WEB site.

Background & History
Willow Springs International Motor sports Park is a 600-acre complex of eight racetracks embracing nearly every conceivable motor sports discipline. The park is located about an hour north of Los Angeles, California near Lancaster.

The original track at the facility, Willow Springs International Raceway, celebrates its 55th birthday this year, and is steeped in historical significance. Construction of the track began in 1952, with the inaugural event held on November 23, 1953. The fact that it has been running continuously since then has caused the state of California to recognize Willow Springs International Raceway as an Official California Point of Historical Interest. This world-famous track hosted the first two NASCAR events west of the Mississippi, the first F.I.M. 500 Grand Prix motorcycle race in America, the first AMA events, the first 24-hour motorcycle endurance race, the first kart road racing in America, and the first California Sports Car Club racing on a purpose-built road course. Over the years, track records have been set and broken many times by internationally famous drivers and riders.

Willow Springs International Raceway is a super-fast 2.5-mile / nine-turn road racing circuit, patterned after the great courses and road racing traditions of Europe, and is unchanged from its original 1953 configuration. With its substantial elevation changes and high average speeds, Willow Springs is one of the fastest and most challenging tracks in the country. Also known as the Fastest Road in the West, this track is one of the safest road courses in the world, despite its high velocities. Cornering speeds on this track range from about 70 mph to over 170 mph, with straightaway speeds nearing 200 mph possible with fastest cars and motorcycles.

With its long and short straight-aways, tight corners, and long sweeping turns, there aren't many road courses in the world with spectator viewing like Willow Springs. Guests can see almost the entire racecourse from just about anywhere, including the many trackside camping areas. Spectator amenities include two full-service diners with full bars, a well-stocked gift shop, plenty of spectators seating and parking modern rest rooms, and outstanding viewing areas. Large viewing areas are available for RV parking and camping, including several full hookups for trailers and motor homes. Racer amenities include several enclosed garages available for use by competitors and testers, with racing fuel and tire services available at the track daily.

Willow Springs International Motorsports Park also includes the following facilities: Willow Springs Raceway (2.5 mile road course); The Streets of Willow Springs (a 1.8-mile road course); Walt James Stadium (3/8 mi Clay Oval and Paved Oval); Willow Springs Speedway (a lighted 1/4-mile paved oval), Willow Springs Kart Track (a .625-mile, 9-turn paved sprint track); The Balcony (a 1/4-mile paved autocross and drifting track); Horse Thief Mile (1-mile canyon road course with many elevation changes and tight corners); and approximately 160 acres of off-road, mountainous terrain.

Efforts by fans have resulted in the State of California declaring Willow Springs International Raceway as a California Point of Historical Interest in 1996.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:20 AM
gums
Rennlist Member

Interesting, would like to stop by next time I'm in LA, although I was just there, twice in September. Thanks for the interesting piece, and GLWS.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:33 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Willow Springs is an awesome, old-school track -- which means it was built long before lawyers and liability turned so many club racing tracks into third-gear autocross courses. It might be the fastest road course in North America, based on average lap speeds.

The family that owns it does not invest enough in the facility's infrastructure, in my opinion. This is a real shame. It could be much more profitable, because of its proximity to the automotive mecca that is Los Angeles.

It's the oldest continuously-operating road course in North America.

There's a link to a corner-by-corner guide to the track in my signature.

And here's another bump for a great car -- hope it goes to a local owner.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:36 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Reminds me of Bridgehampton, not nearly as pretty, but it survives!

Quick Reply: Killer Bee for sale