Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 05:16 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 528 Likes on 283 Posts
Default Grand Am Race at Road Atlanta - April 2013

Seem odd to me...didn't they say that the 2013 schedules of GA and ALMS would remain unchanged? Is this foreshadowing of things to come? (like no Petit LeMans).

http://www.roadatlanta.com/event_det...o&-Token.id=40

GRAND-AM Coming to Road Atlanta in 2013

GRAND-AM Road Racing announced the most dynamic schedule in its history on Friday, highlighted by three new events including Road Atlanta on April 20.

Road Atlanta will also host the American Le Mans Series presented by Tequila Patrón later in the year with the traditional Petit Le Mans.

"We are looking forward to hosting the GRAND-AM Rolex Series in 2013," stated Road Atlanta President and General Manager Geoff Lee. "Our fans will have the opportunity to attend two great sports car racing series next year before they merge."

Also new on the GRAND-AM calendar is a unique combined weekend with the American Le Mans Series presented by Tequila Patrón at Road America. The two organizations are in the process of merging and will operate as one, new sports car entity beginning with the 2014 season.

Both the GRAND-AM Rolex Sports Car Series and Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge schedules will feature inaugural races at the Circuit of the Americas in Austin, Tex.; Road Atlanta; and Kansas Speedway in Kansas City, Kansas.

"Last year we raced for the first time at Indianapolis and Detroit, and GRAND-AM will continue to break new ground in 2013," said Ed Bennett, GRAND-AM president and CEO. "We're excited about going to historic Road Atlanta - plus the new road courses at Austin and Kansas City - for the first time. And with the combined event at Road America, sports car fans will get a glimpse of the future."

GRAND-AM's flagship race - the 51st running of the Rolex 24 At Daytona - opens the 2013 schedule Jan. 26-27 at Daytona International Speedway in Daytona Beach, Fla.

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 10-08-2012, 05:20 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Default Schedule

Attached Images  
Old 10-08-2012, 05:47 PM
007DT
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

Hmmm... Continental Race at my home track... Any seats available in ST??
Old 10-08-2012, 05:50 PM
Turb-OH Brad
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They didn't say the SCHEDULES would remain unchanged in 2013, they said the SERIES and CLASSES would remain unchanged.

Trust me, it's a good thing. Daytona Motorsports Group now has ownership and control of Road Atlanta, so they can now promote and run a race there without any conflict.

I'm interested to see what happens with the Belle Isle race, though. It was supposed to run with Grand Am in 2012 and pick up a 3 race contract with ALMS from 2013.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:01 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think GA will put on a hell of a show at Road Atlanta; can't wait for that race!

I don't get the Kansas race, and I hope that's a victim of the combined schedule in 2012. if you want a road race in that part of the country go to Heartland Park or Hallet...
Old 10-08-2012, 07:02 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by 007DT
Hmmm... Continental Race at my home track... Any seats available in ST??
Of course there are, just open your checkbook and you're in!
Old 10-08-2012, 07:03 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

My concern is...if you're going to keep Petit after 2013, why bother running a GA race there next year?
Old 10-08-2012, 07:07 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by naroescape
My concern is...if you're going to keep Petit after 2013, why bother running a GA race there next year?
when did the sale of the series/tracks become official?

If NASCAR/GA/ISC owns Road Atlanta now, I'm sure they want to start getting some ROI...
Old 10-09-2012, 09:09 AM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by GuyIncognito
I don't get the Kansas race, and I hope that's a victim of the combined schedule in 2012. if you want a road race in that part of the country go to Heartland Park or Hallet...
Not a NASCAR wonk, but I thought I read somewhere that Kansas is owned by NASCAR (France?) and it went on to say to expect the combined series to leverage the NASCAR owned properties (with infield tracks) as filler events.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:11 AM
Jarez Mifkin
Three Wheelin'

Back in the day there used to be two races at Road Atlanta each year. I loved going to spring race. Now what would be icing on the cake would be a PCA race during that weekend as a support series, somebody get working on that!
Old 10-09-2012, 11:11 AM
dougdep
Rennlist Member

no NJMP next year for Rolex/Grand-AM???
Old 10-09-2012, 11:47 AM
LostSouth
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by naroescape
Maybe to test the appetite for DP cars and the demand for a spring race.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:07 AM
Ken Winterborne
2nd Gear

Default spectator tips for Road Atlanta?

Hi, looking for some “insider tips” regarding attending the race as a spectator. I’ve been to several NASCAR races on the infield but this will be my first time at Road Atlanta and first time for a Grand Am event. I have a reserved RV spot going in to turn 6, which concerns me a bit being all the way at the far end of the track. I have a fifth wheel and consequently, can easily enough drive my truck to the other end. But should I consider asking for an alternative camping location? To be honest, I’d prefer to be located in the central fun hub (think Dega’ boulevard for those familiar with that), but have no idea what to expect/ask for. Aside from that, what is the garage/pits access like? I understand there’s no live tv coverage and I’m use to taking the tv on top of the rv during NASCAR events. I’d prefer to watch most of the race at/near my rv, but is there a “best place to be” for maybe the start or finish??? One last question… dogs in the infield??? I was told they don’t really enforce the no pets rule, unless someone complains. Everybody seems to always love my dog and I’d love to take him, but given the 6+ hour drive, I don’t want to be turned away as soon as I get there. By the way, I’ll be in the area Wednesday night and pulling in first thing Thursday morning and staying till Sunday.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:13 AM
007DT
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

Rd Atlanta infield is huge. Turn 6 is a good RV Spot but you will want to bring something to tote around the infield on. Your truck would be fine but a Quad or a Golf Cart is ideal. Party central will be there but more likely down the back straight. But honestly your placement of the RV is best there at Turn 6. You are right by spectator hill too.
No RV area by Start Finish.
Dogs are allowed @ Rd Atlanta during the events that I participate in. But I'm not sure about a Grand Am Race. I'd suggest checking and report back as I may be interested in bringing one of mine.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:52 PM
Ken Winterborne
2nd Gear

Hi Dave, thanks for the info. I do have the first spot going into 6 (#1), so plenty of room to spread out, which I like; so glad to hear it’s a good location. On a different note, those are some nice looking toys you have there!

Quick Reply: Grand Am Race at Road Atlanta - April 2013