Sponsored by:

I had a bad crash at the Glen

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 09:00 AM
tripleblack
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@spiderman: search is your friend. "Group52"

Last edited by tripleblack; 10-10-2012 at 09:16 AM.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:38 AM
95spiderman
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 96 Posts

first off, i never said the op's accident was his fault. he stated what happened and thats the end of that. i only said most de accidents are due to over aggressive driving and i stand by that.

i drive most laps at 7/10 and i feel that gives me a margin for error ie. if i miss the apex by few feet i wont necessarily go off track. (my mistake about 6/10. thats too low). maybe others with more skill than me are still safe at 8 or 9/10 but no amateur is safe at 10/10. we are not pros. unfortunately, 10/10 is what i see too often esp at 'open track' days where passing is allowed in corners. drivers treat it like racing despite fact there are point byes. re my own spin, i was fortunate to be following my own rule to be away from other cars or it would have been a multi car pile up.

obviously de has risks that cant be fully eliminated but they can be minimized and i dont think roll cages, hans, harness, etc is the best way. drive within yourself and most incidents will be avoided. there are plenty of racing venues for those who want to drive aggressively. forum can flame me all they want
Old 10-10-2012, 11:58 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

If that's how you want to spend your track days then that's fine, but then you do not belong in an open passing, higher run group. You will be a hazard to others on the track. The point if progressing through the run group levels is to accommodate different skills and abilities and the desire to drive at a higher level. That is a choice and why we all spend all this money to do this. Otherwise a nice brisk Sunday drive shod suffice and open up more paddock space...

Also you are fooling yourself that you would be able to save yourself from an oil spill just by driving at 6/10ths if you get caught on oil in the wrong place you're toast. And then you DO need all those safety items to be on the track. Did you have antifreeze in your coolant? Antifreeze is the leading cause of meatball spins, draining the system is an easy thing to prep the car for and a considerate think to do for the safety of others on the track...
Old 10-10-2012, 12:14 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 995 Likes on 595 Posts

I don't want to ruin Dave's thread, but there are only three kinds of drivers:

1. Those who will crash
2. Those who have crashed
3. Those who will crash again
Old 10-10-2012, 12:14 PM
95spiderman
Burning Brakes

i never said anyone could save anything from a fluid spill. since i had a spin from antifreeze, i obviously know it can happen. i no longer drive open track days but i do drive in advanced groups. never had a complaint.

my point is that some de drivers progress out of de levels. they should be in race events.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:55 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 95spiderman
my point is that some de drivers progress out of de levels. they should be in race events.
So you're implying that some arbitrary council should then determine that some drivers are "overqualified" for DEs, or perhaps too quick, perhaps have won too many DE trophies or that their cars look like race cars.

At that point, the council would determine that they must go racing?

Bull****...
Old 10-10-2012, 01:06 PM
95spiderman
Burning Brakes

definitely, i want the federal government to appoint track day-race councils . same people who would run the death panels

its really simple 1. de drivers remember they are not professionals and drive within their limits.
2. the ones who want to challenge their limits stick to open track events or go racing.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:24 PM
Deadeye
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 95spiderman
definitely, i want the federal government to appoint track day-race councils . same people who would run the death panels

its really simple 1. de drivers remember they are not professionals and drive within their limits.
2. the ones who want to challenge their limits stick to open track events or go racing.
Your sarcasm aside, I would say your opinion is one I have not heard at any of the DE or open tracks events I have attended. Perhaps there is a need for the 7/10's drivers to rent their local tracks and avoid any potential for damaged vehicles and/ or injury. I know Dave and he is not a reckless or overly aggressive driver.

There but by the grace of God go I. Dave, glad to hear you came away unhurt and I look forward to seeing you next season.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:39 PM
95spiderman
Burning Brakes

again, none of my comments are directed at the op. just used this thread as an opportunity to voice an opinion that i think has merit despite knowing it would be unpopular (and thats putting it mildly)

no need for me to rent track myself, etc. i just drive as i described and avoid open track events. no issues over 12 yrs and 75 days on track.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:54 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by jittsl
and that's coming from an Australian with a rotten reputation for saying exactly what's on his mind with out much filter.
No kidding, even I wouldn't have put that one out there!

I see the makings of a new reversed "Flat Out" type video!
Old 10-10-2012, 03:09 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KaiB
So you're implying that some arbitrary council should then determine that some drivers are "overqualified" for DEs, or perhaps too quick, perhaps have won too many DE trophies or that their cars look like race cars.

At that point, the council would determine that they must go racing?

Bull****...
When I surpassed the DE King regulations a while back, the Chief DE Policeman pulled off two of my spark plug wires.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:06 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 424 Likes on 290 Posts

It can (and has/will; don't ask) happen to any of us, at anytime, for any reason, be it driver error, mechanical, track condition, cold tires et al.....I was at WGI on Monday and there were four (4) hits before lunch.

To the OP--glad you're OK.

Gary
Old 10-10-2012, 05:18 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
I don't want to ruin Dave's thread, but there are only three kinds of drivers:

1. Those who will crash
2. Those who have crashed
3. Those who will crash again
I'm in group number 3 until I'm forced into group 2....
Old 10-10-2012, 06:10 PM
rickg87
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I seems to me that spiderrman is starved for attention and you are all being sucked into his web.
Sorry to hear about the Accident Dave. That sucks
Old 10-10-2012, 06:20 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Glen
I'm in group number 3 until I'm forced into group 2....
I was in Group #1, moved to Group #2, Sat in Group 3, Moved back to Group #2, and as I ALWAYS drive beyond my abilities i'm applying for re-entry into Group #3 this winter...

Quick Reply: I had a bad crash at the Glen