Sponsored by:

I had a bad crash at the Glen

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 02:23 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 438 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
Don't forget to replace your harnesses if/when you rebuild, and your HANS tethers now. Also, look over your seat carefully. Mine was torqued from my wreck. I sold it to someone for use in a simulator. It was no longer safe to use on the track.
We'll have a close look at the seats. Thanks Mike.
Originally Posted by Bill N
Sorry to hear, Dave, thanks for posting! Good thing about the nine lives!
I think I used most of the growing up though.

Originally Posted by J richard
Sorry to hear, it's been fun watching your progress with the car. It does go to show that no matter how well prepped the car and skilled the driver something can always go wrong. I don't know anyone that has been doing this for a while that hasn't had the "O ****h!" moment, it's a matter of time, and the outcome is often out of the drivers hands. Besides the obvious financial hit it can undermine confidence and many just hang it up. Kudos for getting back on the horse, not what many would do. Hope to see a "Kitty Too" build soon....
Thanks. I think my confidence is doing ok. I'm hoping to squeeze in one or two more track days before I hibernate for the winter.
The kitty theme will be back. That's one thing I know for sure.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:26 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Sucks to hear but it was good decisions regarding safety gear that allowed you to walk away.

Thanks for the reminder not to get lazy about that stuff.

Marc
Old 10-09-2012, 02:27 PM
Brian A.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
The kitty theme will be back. That's one thing I know for sure.

Old 10-09-2012, 04:31 PM
95spiderman
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 96 Posts

very sorry to hear about this situation but thank goodness no one was hurt

hope no one gets offended and i know i will be in the vast minority here but i will say it anyway. most accidents happen at de events because drivers treat them like qualifying for a race. more safety equipment is not the answer. the opposite extreme is nurburgring. nothing is required bc they feel that will just encourage more aggressive driving. happy medium, anyone?

my philososphy is to drive at 6 or 7/10ths and stay away from traffic to avoid someone elses spillage or spin. have to remember we re all amatures at this regardless of experience or cars we drive
Old 10-09-2012, 06:12 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 95spiderman

hope no one gets offended and i know i will be in the vast minority here but i will say it anyway. most accidents happen at de events because drivers treat them like qualifying for a race. more safety equipment is not the answer. the opposite extreme is nurburgring. nothing is required bc they feel that will just encourage more aggressive driving. happy medium, anyone?

my philososphy is to drive at 6 or 7/10ths and stay away from traffic to avoid someone elses spillage or spin. have to remember we re all amatures at this regardless of experience or cars we drive
Nice touch, blaming this crash on the driver.
What part of the 'oil on the track' didn't you read?
Old 10-09-2012, 07:45 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 174 Posts

Yes, some push too hard in DE events but you're not learning anything at 6/10ths.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:53 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 465 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
Nice touch, blaming this crash on the driver.
What part of the 'oil on the track' didn't you read?
+1!! Maybe he read it, but failed epically to comprehend...
Old 10-09-2012, 08:14 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 91 Posts

Jesus - Bad form in so many ways..

And for the record - I was there. The track was badly oiled. People with mechanical failures were dropping fluids everywhere with tremendous carnage as a result. Hence Dave's crash. Not much traction on a pool of oil.

Drive at 6/10's and "Stay away from traffic".. Are you kidding??

Last edited by dan212; 10-09-2012 at 08:32 PM.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:03 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

...my philososphy is to drive at 6 or 7/10ths and stay away from traffic...
Ummm....isn't that just a Sunday drive?

We all know the risks, we - should - all take the right precautions (as Dave did), and we should all watch out for our fellow drivers but, at the end of the day, who is going to learn anything or have any fun driving at 60%?

Marc
Old 10-09-2012, 09:06 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,599 Likes on 832 Posts

IMHO driving over a lot of oil at 6/10ths or 7/10ths or 9.9/10ths, the results will be the same.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:31 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Sorry about the incident Dave.....

Oil on the track is a potential catastrophe for anyone, bar none, driving thru it.....

Good to hear you are OK.....
Old 10-09-2012, 10:34 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Didn't that MP4-12C driver who hit the BRZ claim he was only driving at 7/10??
Old 10-10-2012, 12:00 AM
jittsl
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am offended and yes you are in the minority. What on earth is the point of your post? Are you saying that Dave should use less safety gear because that will make him drive slower? I think That's just plain idiotic but you go right ahead. In future you may want to think about your timing of such comments - and that's coming from an Australian with a rotten reputation for saying exactly what's on his mind with out much filter.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:36 AM
Bill N
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did anyone read "The Right Stuff?" It's about the early space program, and the test pilots that were the first astronauts. As test pilots, they flew unproven planes at and beyond their limits. Inevitably, things would sometimes go wrong and one would "auger in." When this happened, everyone would gather in the bar that night, and a common refrain was, "how could he have let that happen?"

It's nice to think that when bad things happen it's the fault of the pilot...therefore, we could never "let it" happen to us. Denial is not just a river in Africa.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:47 AM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 174 Posts

Apparently it's different if it's your own fluid.

i have a 3.1 and spun at njmsp thunderbolt due to coolant leak last september. very similar to this. luckily no other cars or obstacles near by. towed to dealer and told hose clamp came undone. easy repair but pretty scary such a simple thing could cause so much chaos.
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=22232

Quick Reply: I had a bad crash at the Glen