Sponsored by:

Lemons races

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 02:43 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
I've been running in the Lemons series since 2010 with a few friends (most of them are also RL'ers here). Good time but I agree, lots and lots of idiots out there (who CLEARLY have NO experience on a track). Passes under yellow - yep. Also people who SLAM on the brakes when they see a yellow (lost count of how many people I've almost piled into because of that!) Definitely more "spectacle" than "racing" and you definitely need to have the right attitude ("fun" first, "racing" second).

It IS fun though. We have a great time.

As a team I think we'd prefer to get into Chumpcar ("racing" first, "fun" second) but the closest Chumpcar race to the Chicago area is Road America. Lemons has much closer rounds (Autobahn twice, GingerMan once) so until Chumpcar picks up something closer, we're stuck with Lemons.
Jim, do the Chump race at RA in a few weeks! (Oct 20 and 21; it's a double 7). I'll be there
Old 10-02-2012, 04:07 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 133 Likes on 90 Posts

We'll be at Autobahn the weekend prior, and personal budgets (and vacation time) are about tapped out for the year I also imagine we're past the registration deadline...

The other downside - according to the rules, we'd get hammered pretty hard due to the fact that we cut up the car quite a bit (removed the inner door skins, pulled the hatch, etc.) Based on my interpretation of the chump car rules, the only way we'd fall into the "guaranteed $500" category is if the car is more or less complete... and it's not.

Good luck though. I don't know what you're driving but if it's a 944 - it's WOT from T8 to the bend. We got a lot of our passing done by driving around the outside of everybody in the carousel.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:22 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We'll be at Autobahn the weekend prior, and personal budgets (and vacation time) are about tapped out for the year I also imagine we're past the registration deadline...

The other downside - according to the rules, we'd get hammered pretty hard due to the fact that we cut up the car quite a bit (removed the inner door skins, pulled the hatch, etc.) Based on my interpretation of the chump car rules, the only way we'd fall into the "guaranteed $500" category is if the car is more or less complete... and it's not.

Good luck though. I don't know what you're driving but if it's a 944 - it's WOT from T8 to the bend. We got a lot of our passing done by driving around the outside of everybody in the carousel.
thanks! it's an E30. I'll keep that piece of advice in the back of my mind
Old 10-03-2012, 01:47 AM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

you running a 944 -- that's an easy AIV. just find 10 adds -- I have nearly 20.

we pulled the hatch -- gutted the car completely, hollow doors, etc.

No issues.

mike
Old 10-03-2012, 11:32 AM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GuyIncognito
you do Chump races?

I'm doing my first one at Road America in a couple of weeks. depending on how that goes I might be interested in more, if you ever have an open seat.
Yep. We are in the running for the Western Regional Chumpionship. A bunch of college buddies/friends and I decided to build our own cars. We started with a few Mazda Mx'6 (that we put BMW E30 front ends on, and painted like the BMW factory team- The only real non cheater E30's out there :P), We went through too many motors on both cars. They would not hold up (The turbo one... figures). The NA motor car is a tank (FOR SALE TOO!).

Then we just bought a crappier E30 with 230k miles and made it a race car (sort of) It's maiden voyage (14 hour race mind you) we finished 3rd overall. Ran great in 110 degree heat, but the original suspension needed to go.

Lemons is a joke race wise, but fun your first time. Chumpcar is a racers race, with actual pit stratagy, real racing, not bumper cars. We will now only race Chumpcar.

The Black car is our new real E30.
Attached Images     
Old 10-03-2012, 12:14 PM
DM993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

LeMons is a good next step for DE guys wanting to do some wheel to wheel racing at a relatively low cost. THere are so many cars with varying degrees of performance and drivers with varying degrees of skill, that it is a good forum to practice some racecraft. I also think its valuable to learn to race with some complete morons you begin to anticipate terrrible driving and great avoidance technique. LeMons judges hate the e30's mainly because they are reliable and quick. (ours has 229k on the original unmolested 325e motor (and so neutral in the we too... watch the

I personally think they are getting better at letting the good teams race, but it is still a bit of a circus. It can be as much fun to walk the pits as it is to drive sometime. You are missing the point if you try to take it too seriously. They respect good driving, and punish the idiots. The more races you do and the more you get to know the organizers the more reasonable they become.
Attached Images   
Old 10-05-2012, 12:11 PM
Gino230
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like a cool way to get started in Racing (vs the monotony of track days) but it looks to me like there isn't much racing in FL....Chump had Daytona and Sebring in 2012 and Lemons had no FL events in 2012?

Am I missing something? I'm driving distance from Homestead and PBIR.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:19 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 133 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Gino230
Looks like a cool way to get started in Racing (vs the monotony of track days) but it looks to me like there isn't much racing in FL....Chump had Daytona and Sebring in 2012 and Lemons had no FL events in 2012?

Am I missing something? I'm driving distance from Homestead and PBIR.
Yeah looks like your closest Lemons race is gonna be in SC. Don't know about Chump Car.

It's not uncommon to travel for these races. *My* team doesn't like to (it's nice having 2 rounds in our own back yard) but plenty of teams do.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:31 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 114 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Plavan
Chump is wayyyyyyyyyyy better than Lemons
Depends on what you want to get out of it. Lemons is like going to Mardi Gras at the track. Chump is actually trying to win a race with a beater. We've got one car that we use for both and they both are fun. My only real complaint with Chump is the huge number of cheater cars. This last one at HPR I felt like I was entered in a Spec E30 and Spec Miata combined race.

We've now got to figure out what to do with our car. We went through a couple of engines this year. I'm tempted to build an engine from scratch. A stock engine, but a properly remanufactured engine. But hey, in the process, we came home with this:
Old 10-05-2012, 05:54 PM
fhp911
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 35 Posts

I haven't done Chump but have done a few LeMons, so I can't make comparisons but I can say that LeMons is a great step up from DE. At my skill level I find LeMons to be true competition with some other guys who are quite skilled. Yes, in a field of 100+ (some of which are Geo Metro!!) there are slow guys and low-skill guys but you get lots of opportunities to go wheel-to-wheel.

I do agree that there is a circus element and atmosphere to it, and that some of the penalties are mucho dumb. But Jay is very serious about safety.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:18 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,070 Likes on 1,182 Posts

Originally Posted by GuyIncognito
I'm doing my first one at Road America in a couple of weeks. depending on how that goes I might be interested in more, if you ever have an open seat.
I might be there (not driving, our team kind of fell apart....) what car / team are you with?
Old 10-08-2012, 12:50 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 114 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by fhp911
I do agree that there is a circus element and atmosphere to it, and that some of the penalties are mucho dumb. But Jay is very serious about safety.
The penalties are one of the best parts. One of our guys got into it with another guy. They black flagged them both, tied their legs together like a 3 legged race at the county fair and made them walk over to the food truck and buy ice cream sandwiches for all the race marshalls.

Quick Reply: Lemons races