Braking, Braking...Damned Braking!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 06:02 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,188 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Using Van’s 2nd chart from post # 15 and looking at the Black line in particular, this to me shows essentially very little or no squeeze at all. From what I’m lead to believe this is a desired trace.
Cheers, Patrick! The black trace is what I desire to see nearly every time and certainly if the car is straight.

http://www.optimumg.com/docs/Brake_tech_tip.pdf
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 09-26-2012, 08:25 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the term Squeeze is not the same for all people. Lnital brake pressure rise rate depends on the car and condition. One cars top rate of rise might set another into a slide.

I too drive a old dumb car with an LEG brake controller and ajustable bias valve. I know that a proper motorsports system could do a better job in many corners than I can as it could control single wheels or axels and a non ABS system cannot.

< That is an example of poor brake bias BTW.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:02 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Lolaman
Cheers, Patrick! The black trace is what I desire to see nearly every time and certainly if the car is straight.

http://www.optimumg.com/docs/Brake_tech_tip.pdf
Thanks a bunch Peter. Enjoyed that document. Gives me some tangible figures to refer to. I like numbers and drawings.

Originally Posted by kurt M
I think the term Squeeze is not the same for all people. Lnital brake pressure rise rate depends on the car and condition. One cars top rate of rise might set another into a slide.

I too drive a old dumb car with an LEG brake controller and ajustable bias valve. I know that a proper motorsports system could do a better job in many corners than I can as it could control single wheels or axels and a non ABS system cannot.

< That is an example of poor brake bias BTW.
Ha, love the pic to demonstrate the point Kurt. As many have pointed out here, there isn't an absolute time and trace to religiously adhere to. Still, it's good to know that what I 'think' I've been trying to do is essentially correct. I am choosing to believe that the one instructor in particular on that demo day had a bit of a 'pffft' attitude and was just there to pick up his bucks.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:24 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

I've tried to apply the formulas in that article to the same data I showed before (but forgive me for not knowing how to do some of the conditionals... like brake smoothness only on the release...)

The top chart shows the brake pressure for me and Max (a novice driving my car). The middle chart is my Aggression and Release Smoothness. The bottom chart is the Aggression and Release Smoothness for Max.
Attached Images  
Old 09-26-2012, 09:31 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

P.s. the time of my brake ramp-up to peak pressure was 0.39 seconds. So a pro I ain't!
Old 09-26-2012, 11:49 AM
sig_a
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
IMO, .........If you can pay attention to where the mass of the car is moving in transitions like braking, and work to reduce the drama of the movement, the car will be a better partner for you...
---------------------

Practicing on a wet track is valuable experience in learning brake feel -- slower speeds and longer duration in transition from acceleration to deceleration forces smooth driver input. And a slick surface provides almost no margin for err in controlling chassis movement. The way I see it, car control techniques required on a wet track work well on a dry track. (my picture notwithstanding.)
Old 09-26-2012, 02:52 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Van
Patrick, here's a comparison for 4 different drivers - same track, same corner. This is a g-force trace.

The red and blue (me and Dave) are track cars with pretty stiff springs, and we get pretty tall slopes. The black and green are both street cars, one's a turbo and one's a GT3.

Andrei (black) has a propensity to "stab" the brakes, as opposed to "squeeze" the brakes. See how his trace is different?

I'd say that Dave (blue) has the nicest brake release - aka trail braking into the corner.

Mark (green) lets off on the brake pressure, and then gives another little stab towards the end of the braking zone, and that's why his curve has that little "shelf". And, on Mark's trace, do you see how the slope is pretty gentle at the very beginning? That's where he's lifted off the throttle and is coasting before applying the brakes.

What are you doing on your approach to the braking zone?
Old 09-26-2012, 03:56 PM
Vonschmidt
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to all for this thread and the great charts, this subject is often misunderstood and this format makes it a lot clearer for me.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:28 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,188 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Thanks a bunch Peter. Enjoyed that document. Gives me some tangible figures to refer to. I like numbers and drawings.
The more I do this, and the more I study pro's "best practices" and try to articulate for my clients what exactly works and what doesn't (or help them re-learn and refocus on the skills execution that truly makes a difference), the more I find objective observations and measures to be helpful.

Originally Posted by Vonschmidt
Thanks to all for this thread and the great charts, this subject is often misunderstood and this format makes it a lot clearer for me.
Great! This is a terrific thread because of all the perspectives presented. In particular, thanks to Van for his timely strip charts!

Quick Reply: Braking, Braking...Damned Braking!!