Sponsored by:

Time for Honest Feedback

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 11:57 AM
cometb
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time for Honest Feedback

Per my previous post, I am a mid to front pack Yellow DE'er (primarilly with TDE) and MSR member. I hae a "check" ride next Saturday monring to see if I can go as a rookie in October's MSR PCA race. My ego is in check on this one and do not want to get myeslf or anyone else in a bad situation.

Having said that, been at MSR a bunch of the last 5 weekends. I was albe to lay down consist 1:31-1:32 laps (with traffic) on the 1.7CCW. Am I fooling myself or can I comfortably bring up the rear in the race?
Old 09-10-2012, 12:29 PM
certz
Three Wheelin'

Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts

I just did my first PCA club race at Road America (a course I have been to a lot over the last 5 years) over Labor Day. It was fantastic. I had very realistic goals (mostly just to finish without incident) and I thought everyone in my run group and class (G stock) was very respectful on and off the track - those cup car guys are crazy, though . With a good attitide and mindset I do not think you will have any issues, just be prepared to learn a lot about you, the car, and racing in general.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:44 PM
cometb
Intermediate

Thanks...we'll see what happens!
Old 09-10-2012, 01:13 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

While it's important to have a respect and awareness of the rest of the field, it's also important to have confidence and assurance in your abilities. Second guessing, driving your mirrors and erratic moves to "stay out of the way" are all recipes for disaster and a classic rookie mistake. You're on the racetrack to race. Despite the X on your bumper the rest of the field will expect you to be racing. Don't push, stick your nose in a bad spot or try any low percentage moves, but race. The rest of the field will take care of themselves, odds are they will pull on you anyway, and if you find yourself in a scrum focus on your driving and have fun.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:51 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Be predictable.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:08 PM
Horus2000
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by cometb
I was albe to lay down consist 1:31-1:32 laps (with traffic) on the 1.7CCW. Am I fooling myself or can I comfortably bring up the rear in the race?
Don't worry about lap times. The main thing they will be looking for is car control. Can you take the corners well off the apex (non-traditional lines) without losing control or slowing down too much. Are you controllable under hard braking, running very close to other traffic, and as mentioned above, overall confidence in your driving capability. Don't mention your lap times to the instructor/check ride unless they ask.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:36 PM
cometb
Intermediate

Good advice. Thanks for the unput.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:15 PM
TRT41
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

relax you'll do fine, and you know that your instructor is most likely seeing this thread
Old 09-10-2012, 08:08 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 97 Posts

^ Yup!
Old 09-10-2012, 09:50 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Relax and look ahead. Check your mirrors before going to the brakes in a corner. If there is traffic behind you, stay on the race line and be predictable. Faster cars will find their way around you and you'll figure out how to co-exist. If a double yellow comes out, catch up to the field! Have fun!!!!
Old 09-10-2012, 10:57 PM
jittsl
Racer

There is no better place to go and learn to race than with the PCA. Everybody was a rookie once and almost everybody will forgive whatever you do. At PCA the majority of the responsibility of achieving a good pass lays with the person doing the passing. As long as you remain predictable and consistent anybody, who needs to, will find a way around. Stay aware, drive your best and (most importantly) do everything you can to know what is going on around.

For the record, laptimes are about the least important part of your early races (and consequently your check out ride). Spacial awareness, smoothness and the previously mentioned consistency and predictability are probably the most.

Good luck and hopefully I'll see you there. Look me up if you make it.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:02 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,542 Likes on 815 Posts

Originally Posted by PedroNole
If a double yellow comes out, catch up to the field!
THIS

A lesson lost on many non-rookies, too...
Old 09-11-2012, 12:15 PM
cometb
Intermediate

Smile

Appreciate all the feedback. Bottom line this is all still real fun to me. Having a blast. Whether I race this year or not, in the overall scheme of things - no big deal.

One of the greatest times I've ever had in my life was last weekend when I was chasing my son in his 1992 "rattle-can painted" miata around the MSR 3.1 track. Life is truley good.

Quick Reply: Time for Honest Feedback