Sponsored by:

F1's Will Buxton LOVES Indy Cars

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 06:49 PM
MikeJim
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F1's Will Buxton LOVES Indy Cars

Speed's F1 pit reporter, Will Buxton, with a short summer break went to Sonoma last weekend to watch the Indy Cars...and fell in LOVE with the series.

"Colour me very impressed," he writes in his blog from Sonoma.
http://willthef1journo.wordpress.com...r-impressions/

"Imagine, if you will, a sequence of corners similar to Maggotts and Becketts at Silverstone. Then imagine that there is about 4 metres of runoff at either side and that this run off is fairly dry grass. Then imagine a concrete wall at about knee height. Then a small hill, and a fence up to about head height. The photographers stand behind the knee high wall, shooting cars flying straight at them at over 150mph. No catch fencing. Only a certain part of the wall is covered by a tyre wall. This, I think to myself, must be what F1 was like 25 years ago.

"It’s completely insane. It’s ludicrously unsafe. Stupid. Absolutely stupid.

"But it is incredible. I feel a rush every time a car flies past my face. I think of how much my photographer friends in F1 would love this. No complaining about the placement of holes in catch fencing for them here. There isn’t any bloody catch fencing."

"Indycar, it seems to me, gets an awful lot right. The way it treats its fans, the set-up, the paddock, the fan zone… it’s like a GP2 paddock but more open, more fan friendly, more… just more!"

Oh, and he went for a hot lap with Mario Andretti in an Indy Car two-seater.

"Mario gave it full beans, through Turns 1 and 2, the Eau Rouge of Sonoma. I am in raptures. My legs are a little wobbly, but I am buzzing. What an experience. What an honour. I’ll say it again… Mario. Andretti. Wow."

Old 08-31-2012, 10:05 PM
car_slave
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buxton is such a ******. I cringe every time that poseur tries to impress with his trivial insight. He spouts out some outrageous crap which would have got any reputable journalist fired. I'm convinced he works for free just to hang with the F1 crowd.

Quick Reply: F1's Will Buxton LOVES Indy Cars