Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 989 Likes on 593 Posts
Default Data Seminars and Updates to TrailBrake.net

I got a little lazy posting new Featured Articles to TrailBrake.net, but I'm back on the wagon and will be posting new data articles as often as possible.

Two of the most recent articles are Time Variance Graphs at http://www.trailbrake.net/2/post/201...22nd-2012.html and a note about John Block's Data Webinars at http://www.trailbrake.net/2/post/201...auto-ware.html.

John's webinars are probably the easiest, most direct way to build up a data base of math channels, a systematic method of analyzing your data, and some key insights to helping you go faster. If people sign up for John's seminars and include "TrailBrake" in the special instructions field, they can let me know and I'll send them a TrailBrake T-Shirt, stickers, and a really cool Quick Data Check card that I've made up.

Finally, right now John has AiM, Pi, and CDS seminars. If we get 10-15 people who are intersted in a Traqmate session, he will put something together for that as well. You can sign up for the session at www.auto-ware.com
Old 08-23-2012, 09:19 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,299 Likes on 1,874 Posts

These seminars are terrific!

So are the Trailbrake.net cards and the site!

Thank you, Matt!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Last edited by ProCoach; 08-24-2012 at 09:43 AM.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:22 AM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Thanks Matt - excellent reference site and always something worth reading for the data picker/miner/analysers - will come back to you re JB.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:32 AM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Good job Matt, ship me more Trailbrake cards. I'm including them in my AIM shipments. Great resource for new users.
Old 08-24-2012, 01:27 PM
Ross_Bentley
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Matt - I didn't know about your TrailBrake.net website, but after taking a look at it... It's awesome! I'm going to recommend it to every driver I know. Thanks for making that info available.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:39 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Ross_Bentley
Matt - I didn't know about your TrailBrake.net website, but after taking a look at it... It's awesome! I'm going to recommend it to every driver I know. Thanks for making that info available.
Thanks Ross! It's been really fun to put together. I know it's a lofty goal, but I hope it brings everyone's knowledge of data up a little and gets people to share some info.
Old 08-24-2012, 03:31 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,299 Likes on 1,874 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Thanks Ross! It's been really fun to put together. I know it's a lofty goal, but I hope it brings everyone's knowledge of data up a little and gets people to share some info.
Matt, this is high praise indeed if Ross complements your effort! But to your latest point, I've had at least three RL'ers communicate to me TODAY that they wish other PCA Club and NASA GTS racers would share data files in some accessible database. Traqmate's Share and Compare has limited info, and is a great start.

While I do have an NDA in place with the folks I work with (unless they decide they want to share their data to educate and be examples, good and less so, in other's education), I still think it's fun to note how different drivers can shine in execution of certain disciplines and still turn equivalent lap times.

Even though Club level drivers might think there are "gems" in their data, those that might provide their competitors with an "advantage," it still boils down to how the "loose nut behind the wheel" pushes those pedals and turns the wheel that ultimately determines the efficacy of the comparative process.

I can tell you this. The BEST drivers, based on their performance and in a variety of cars, formulate a very detailed plan (visualization), execute that plan and perform the execution of the basic fundamentals SO WELL that the outcome is (nearly) never in doubt...

It's always fun to see what other folks do and "a rising sea floats ALL boats!"

Cheers, Peter

Last edited by ProCoach; 08-24-2012 at 04:03 PM.
Old 08-24-2012, 04:02 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Matt, High praise from Ross Bentley. He worked with the Team Seattle drivers when I was crew chief with Synergy. He knows his stuff!
Old 08-24-2012, 04:14 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Lolaman
Matt, this is high praise indeed if Ross complements your effort! But to your latest point, I've had at least three RL'ers communicate to me TODAY that they wish other PCA Club and NASA GTS racers would share data files in some accessible database. Traqmate's Share and Compare has limited info, and is a great start.

While I do have an NDA in place with the folks I work with (unless they decide they want to share their data to educate and be examples, good and less so, in other's education), I still think it's fun to note how different drivers can shine in execution of certain disciplines and still turn equivalent lap times.

Even though Club level drivers might think there are "gems" in their data, those that might provide their competitors with an "advantage," it still boils down to how the "loose nut behind the wheel" pushes those pedals and turns the wheel that ultimately determines the efficacy of the comparative process.

I can tell you this. The BEST drivers, based on their performance and in a variety of cars, formulate a very detailed plan (visualization), execute that plan and perform the execution of the basic fundamentals SO WELL that the outcome is (nearly) never in doubt...

It's always fun to see what other folks do and "a rising sea floats ALL boats!"

Cheers, Peter

I completely agree Peter. I've also found the best drivers in my area will share exactly what they do. I like to tell the story about Phil Lombardi, another Pro coach and Skip Barber Guy, who either holds or held lap records at lots of tracks in an FC car. I've watched him tell his closest competitor everything he does, in every spot. He is confident in his abilities to execute his race. And in my words, he knows most of us mere mortals mortals can't do what he is doing behind the wheel.

For anyone that is interested in sharing data in any way, I'm happy to host it. As a side note, I think that was one of the neatest things in John's webinars - seeing data from lots of different cars and drivers (some who we can all name!).

Originally Posted by amso3
Matt, High praise from Ross Bentley. He worked with the Team Seattle drivers when I was crew chief with Synergy. He knows his stuff!
Ross is a great guy. We had him do an instructor seminar for us a couple of years ago that was excellent.

Shoot me your address and I'll get more Quick Check cards down to you.
Old 08-24-2012, 11:49 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 64 Posts

Matt, I'm happy to share any of my Aim (or old traqmate) data with you for the site. I wish more people would share data...
Old 08-25-2012, 12:46 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Van
Matt, I'm happy to share any of my Aim (or old traqmate) data with you for the site. I wish more people would share data...

What a great idea. I just checked trailbrake, but there are no Traqmate files.

Sorry for stating the obvious, but the light bulb just came on.

Since it's not always easy or convenient to get a coach to do a few laps in our cars to record a baseline, the next best thing would be to get one of their files, driving a few laps at our tracks.

Would love to get some hot shoe's Traqmate data from Mosport...
Old 08-25-2012, 09:09 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Van
Hi Van - email files you want to share over to matt@trailbrake.net or zip them together and use the transfer feature at the bottom of this page http://www.trailbrake.net/contacts.html.

Originally Posted by FFaust

What a great idea. I just checked trailbrake, but there are no Traqmate files.

Sorry for stating the obvious, but the light bulb just came on.

Since it's not always easy or convenient to get a coach to do a few laps in our cars to record a baseline, the next best thing would be to get one of their files, driving a few laps at our tracks.

Would love to get some hot shoe's Traqmate data from Mosport...
Send some files over and I'm happy to share them.

Also, if people have any ideas on better ways to share the files, I'm open to ideas!
Old 08-25-2012, 09:13 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,674 Likes on 865 Posts

Holy cow, I just saw this thread. Not sure how I missed it earlier. Trailbrake is a very nice site, and I was honored to have contributed to it a while back, ironically on how data can be used for coaching.

I believe it is a very good idea to start a repository of sorts of data files. While apples and oranges comparisons are difficult to make via various drivers' data files, I agree that baseline comparisons can be very iseful for many drivers. I will look into adding some of my data files. Most were from coaching sessions paid for by clients, so I need to get their permission first.

Last edited by Veloce Raptor; 08-25-2012 at 04:18 PM. Reason: typos
Old 08-25-2012, 03:49 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Send some files over and I'm happy to share them.

Also, if people have any ideas on better ways to share the files, I'm open to ideas!
Will do.

Could/should be a directory where you could chose format (Aim, Traqmate, etc.), track, car type, then driver... or something like that.

Thanks for doing this. Next we need to spread the word.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:00 PM
Brian A.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Matt, Feel free to post the sessions both Phil and I did last season.

Quick Reply: Data Seminars and Updates to TrailBrake.net