Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about going from DE to Club racing

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 03:13 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

add mirrors, lots and lots of mirrors. Then use them.

the little round convex type work, to help you to NOT hit a car at the turn in.
-you'll get passed on both sides, and a lot. -its just part of the process. embrace this time...

point by faster people, don't race cars not in class. ask for help. you'll need it and get it, if you know you're slow. (and are polite... we all started there, just like the DE's.)

you'll drop seconds each weekend. you'll learn a lot more about car setup, and how to preserve your equipment. you'll use tires and brakes like never before.

and you will learn about race management. qualifying, is about 1 fast lap, setting up that lap is what its all about. (not getting blocked by slower cars on that hot lap).

then there is the race craft... getting in someone's mirrors, pushing them so they use up their tires and brakes, so you can attack later when they and their car are tired.

the start is the crazy time, where lots of guy crash out. hang back in the beginning. -remember to finish 1st, first you have to finish... after you have some starts under your belt you can be aggressive.

-also recognize the chances of hurting the car go waaaaay up.
it may not be the case in PCA, but I would think about where you can get fenders and bumpers. (sooner or later...).

and then there's the budget... new tires are worth 2-3 seconds.

when I started racing I spent 1 hour under the car for every hour behind the wheel. 5 years later is was 40 hours under for each hour behind the wheel. and 4 new tires every other weekend (if not every weekend).

-At some point racing becomes like work, that's when DE's become fun again.
-no 40 hours under the car, no worrying about the car breaking and killing your championship effort. no new tires, no killer budget, just go to the track drive, and tell lies.

Good luck!

ps: in car video is a good learning tool.
Old 08-28-2012, 04:41 PM
tonypai
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everything he said^^^^^^^ +1

Make your race budget and then double it.

Driving on the street, driving a DE and driving a race require similar skill sets but very different mindsets.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:32 PM
cometb
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Much Thanks

Appreciate all the great feedback. Headed to the track this Saturday and Sunday with a coach. I have my "check" ride with the PCA region on Sept. 15th...so we'll see. Either way, all good fun.

After racing motorcycles for years with all the trips to the hospital, my wife is acutally supportive and has learned not to ask how much. Funny though, no matter how much I spend on the car,etc., it seems like an equivilant amount always gets spent upgrading the house (not my idea). Hmmm. must be Karma

Quick Reply: Thinking about going from DE to Club racing