2012 Grand Prix of Belgium

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 06:39 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Have the penalties been handed out yet? Maldonado for jumping the start, Schumacher for his dangerous and weird pit entrance, Weber exiting the pit box etc.
Bob,

Ask and you receive:
As of now Grosjean gets a 1 race ban.
Maldenado gets 10 Grid penalty.
Shumy escapes.

Kimi gets the giant Brass ***** award.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:58 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by FGL28
Bob,

Ask and you receive:
Shumy escapes.

Pastor got actually two penalties... One for jumping the start and another for crash with Glock.
No argument there, that guy should not be in F1, it's screwup after another with that tool...

Grosjean though I don't agree, obviously he was the one who crashed but it was just a slight tough and then all the hell broke loose but to ban him for one race?
With that standard, Maldinady by no should be banned for at least 10 races.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:07 PM
JHowell37
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's about time Grosjean got a ban. This is the 4th collision he's been in this year that's caused other cars to retire.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:00 PM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 09-03-2012, 01:34 AM
9.5 Degrees
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
Pastor got actually two penalties... One for jumping the start and another for crash with Glock.
No argument there, that guy should not be in F1, it's screwup after another with that tool...

Grosjean though I don't agree, obviously he was the one who crashed but it was just a slight tough and then all the hell broke loose but to ban him for one race?
With that standard, Maldinady by no should be banned for at least 10 races.
Maldonado is next. the penalty was much deserved as Grojean has been a hazard to a lot of people this season, Maldonado has just been more visible.

What Grojean did today was take out the #1 and #2 WDC leaders which resulted in teh 40 point lead by Alonso dwindle to 24. Further, didn't everyone hold their breath as the two doctors scrabled to the side of Alonso's car as he sat there motionless? I thought the worst, but luckily he was just shaken up.

Entertaining race from start to finish.

I got to give credit to Kimi for that move to Eau Rouge after the DRS detection zone, but it was apparent that Schumi had a problem as he fell from a comfortable 3rd to 7th after losing 6th gear. What crappy luck he's had all year, seriously.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:28 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

You guys are right about Grosjean, I was only thinking yesterday's crash but when considering all of them where he's been involved, it was deserved.

Pastor needed one too though...
Old 09-03-2012, 08:55 AM
Eifeler
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bob,

Ask and you receive:
Shumy escapes.

All well deserved.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:18 AM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the stewards got it right. As soon as the crash happened I thought Grosjean should get a race suspension. He has caused plenty of race start carnage with low percentage moves on the start all year. My only concern is he felt he was clear of Hamilton and barely clipped him. I have had plenty of tight race starts and when you don't know where someone is around you stay on your line and occupy your space!!! Kimi's move was the best highlight clip of the year.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:08 AM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Bob,

Ask and you receive:
Shumy escapes.

Giant Brass ***** indeed. That pass that Kimi had on Schumi going into Eau Rouge was brilliant and amazing. What a pass!!

C.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:20 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

It's odd that for such a big race with so much going on we're only on our third page, and it's Tuesday!

So much happened on and off the track! The incident at T1 made this season all the more interesting. Alonso's lead is much narrower now. Ferrari are not where they need to be to challenge for WDC in current trim.

McLaren OTOH seem to have found what they were looking for. And then Lewis decided that he should share it with everyone else! WTF dude?!? Was he concerned that people would think he's slower than his teammate? How insecure!

Congrats to Button! Winning from pole is not as easy in Spa as in other circuits but nobody could touch him on Saturday and Sunday.

Vettel made some ballsy moves and earned his second place and then some. I'm happy to see him fight for positions and not just win from the front.

Kimi did OK as expected, too bad Renault, I mean Lotus, couldn't test the new diffuser on Friday. Grosjean is a really fast driver IMO but needs to chill a little bit. His first time around was a disaster and this season can quickly become one too!

Congrats to the FI guys! Now if the team can figure out their money situation...

Mercedes are plagued with reliability issues, too bad! Shumacher still has the widest car on the track.

Biggest losers were Sauber. Tough luck for them. I hope they bounce back.

And I hope Williams find a nother cash cow driver, Maldonado is clearly not suited for the job. Senna's been mediocre this year as well, I wouldn't be surprised if they drop him.

Catherham are going the wrong way it seems. They made a ton of mistakes. Definitely nowhere nead mid-pack, where they wanted to be.

So Monza coming up next weekend... Another high speed, low downforce track. I see McLaren dominating if they keep the cards close to their vest. Lotus should be up there as well but with just one car = less testing time on Friday and Kimi behind the wheel, I don't know how well they'll be able to develop the car...

Looking forward to it!
Old 09-04-2012, 12:33 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,219 Likes on 1,898 Posts

Be very afraid of McLaren. That's two race wins in a row with both circuits completely different (Hungury/Spa). That car is unbelievably fast right now. Red Bull shined because Spa is a low downforce track as Monza will be this weekend, but they will struggled as we move past the European schedule.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:45 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pete
Be very afraid of McLaren. That's two race wins in a row with both circuits completely different (Hungury/Spa). That car is unbelievably fast right now. Red Bull shined because Spa is a low downforce track as Monza will be this weekend, but they will struggled as we move past the European schedule.
+1

Button was completely cruising the whole race, did it with one stopper and still pulled away from everyone.
He was going so easy he probably could've done a no stopper...
That car was good in Hungary but the pace at Spa was scary, they'll be way ahead of everyone at Monza.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:10 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

Fascinating race weekend all around…

The McLaren did really show to be in a class of its own (well, at least Jenson’s set up) which bodes well for the team. Hamilton seems to have real difficulty seeing Jenson get ahead. That in itself is not too unusual, but spouting off about it via Twitter will do him no favors. The guy has a legitimate GOOD shot at the WDC this year, but he must maintain his focus.

Tough luck for Alonso and Hammy in the race. That said, I found Alonso’s reaction very mature. In the long view, he has had some good luck this year too (e.g. Vettel’s car breaking at Valencia).

I know Maldonado is on everyone’s s**t list right now, but the guy can be fast. He needs the right mentor that can tame his reckless side. I think Senna has the bigger hill to climb. Compared to many of his contemporaries, he is at a disadvantage with race experience, but this seems like a crucial year for him to set himself apart as a driver with a big F1 future. At this point, the jury’s out. At least with Maldonado the speed seems to be there. I’m not so sure Senna has the ultimate pace.

Vettel put in a good race. Made a series of effective passes and maximized his result.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:18 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
Red Bull shined because Spa is a low downforce track as Monza will be this weekend, but they will struggled as we move past the European schedule.
Funny how that is 100% opposite from last year.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 09-04-2012, 02:50 PM
morganabowen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I was out of town and did not watch live. I watched last night and really enjoyed the race. Too bad for Fernando and Hamilton, but that is what happens when you get stuck in the middle of the pack. Both did poorly in qualifying and paid the price. Monza next and I look forward to an exciting race

Quick Reply: 2012 Grand Prix of Belgium