Sponsored by:

Insights from HPDE instructors wanted

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 06:35 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

Two things.

Depth of experience is a not an accurate indicator of skill level.

Do not short change the value of the introduction initial dialogue regarding their objectives and previous instructors comments/feedback.

Proceed with extreme caution when your student casually points out the spots on the track where they've spun, gone off or worse case; made off track contact with a "Non-Moving object.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:17 PM
VaSteve
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 944hal
Make it a fun experience. Start with that. Along the way it's pretty easy to gauge how serious the student is about learning performance driving. I've had a number of students go on to racing and instructing and many more that just want to drive around the track once in awhile for whatever reason.

BTW.....my experience with women students have all been positive. I think they are better listeners.
X2 on female students.

X200 on making it fun. In my reorient we have a requirement that you have to do HPDC first before coming to a full track day. It's a clinic that does slaloms, skid pad, braking, etc. there is an optional lapping session at the end. This, I think weeds out the folks that are unsure if they want to do it more seriously on a full weekend event.

We also do instructor clinics. I get a lot of it. One thing I learned was that it's OK that you and the student are virtual strangers. I used to have this weird feeling when I was a student and the instructor knew so.much.more than I.

I've also learned to laugh stuff off. Oooops, we blew that corner. So what? We'll get it next time. Maybe I won't even mention it....since there's other things to work on.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:49 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,651 Likes on 852 Posts

Originally Posted by quickxotica
Hi Ross,

It was great working with you Feb 17th of this year. Nice to see you here on RL.

I've been instructing for 10 years now. CDI for the last 2. I agree with a lot of the above, especially re: finding out what the student's goals are 1st thing. Some want to learn how to go fast, some just want to have a nice safe weekend and then go back to commuting.

But if I had to pick just one thing I wish I'd known 10 years ago, it's how much I would learn, and how much I would improve as a driver, as a direct result of instructing others. They say you never really know a subject until you've had to teach it. That's true.

John, for which group are you CDI?
Old 08-05-2012, 09:37 PM
TedA
Addict
Rennlist Member

One thing? The value of being able to translate something fairly technical in as few clear, short, consistent terms as possible.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:35 PM
sleder
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Ross, nice to see you here...Lots of good insight here.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:50 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ross_Bentley
I’m doing some research for another book and would like some input/insight from those of you who do a lot of HPDE instructing. Todays’ question: If you could have known just one thing that you know now when you started instructing, what would that be?
That good drivers do not always make good instructors and Good instructor are not always good drivers, and sometimes neither.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:55 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Wow, what a great thread. As a newly-minted instructor, this promises to be good... well it's been pretty good already.

Ross, you did ask to hear from the newer folks (yup, post #7 ).

I've had a total of 1 student so far. Over the course of a 3-day weekend, he improved steadily from session to session and it was incredibly rewarding for me to participate and to share that experience with him.

So I'll flip your question around:
If you could have known just one thing that you know now when you started instructing, what would that be?
There is something that I know now, and that I hope I won't forget with time: Instructing is rewarding and gratifying. I hope that I don't forget it, and that it doesn't become a job.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:14 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,651 Likes on 852 Posts

Originally Posted by todinlaw
That good drivers do not always make good instructors and Good instructor are not always good drivers, and sometimes neither.
This is a fact. And you can substitute "coach" for "driver" as well...
Old 08-06-2012, 06:32 PM
quickxotica
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
John, for which group are you CDI?
http://www.pca-ggr.org/
Old 08-06-2012, 07:18 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Its easier to teach a good instructor how to drive.

R+C
Old 08-06-2012, 07:47 PM
ZAPmobile
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

The "KISS" keep it simple principal is very important. Don't over load the student, they can only absorb so much each time out. Each session give them a little more knowledge. Something else to remember, the 2 second rule, men take 2 seconds to respond when they are new to the track driving, woman almost instantly.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:49 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by FFaust
There is something that I know now, and that I hope I won't forget with time: Instructing is rewarding and gratifying. I hope that I don't forget it, and that it doesn't become a job.
Yeah. How many guys do you see fade out? Either as they march toward wheel-to-wheel, or they get burned out. On our local list there are probably 30-40 guys who don't anymore.

Was so cool to show up to a Golden Gate Laguna Time Trial circa 1980 and the IMSA GTU champion from a couple years prior was helping out. Without being paid. (He could have even been the CDI for the region, I don't remember.) And hanging about as crew and drivers were guys just back from Le Mans.

So that's always stuck with me. And as I guess I'm now officially one of the "old guys" I'm happy that I'm still included with pretty much all of the DE groups.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:18 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

I didn't realize when I started just how hard instructors work, and more importantly I think I didn't realize how rewarding it was to work with people at any level. From rank beginner to experienced racers, its a thrill to be able to share my passion for the sport, and to help my students improve. I have a great time instructing even when I don't have my car with me.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:37 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

And another thing; ride with instructors and learn from their instructing technique.
Such as - Dave Scott brings along a pad and paper to take notes.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:47 PM
jittsl
Racer

Biggest thing I wish I knew was that I was never going to be a terribly good instructor. Or more precisely I work well with some students but not with all and i am incapable of adjusting style. Anyone who knows me knows I do not suffer fools or incompetence easily and tend to say what is on my mind. Basically spent five years getting less and less excited about going to DEs to the point where I started to dread another weekend. Quit instructing and now concentrate on Club Racing and having a ball.

Quick Reply: Insights from HPDE instructors wanted