Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman S or 944 LSx?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 06:41 PM
chrenan
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm going to be brutally honest. You mentioned "I fear things frequently breaking and having to tow home from the track, and losing out on the fees". Towing fees and event fees should be the least of your worries, don't ever track a car that you couldn't afford to push off a cliff. That's one reason I've stuck with a 944 Turbo as a track car (stock engine), I'm comfortable with risking it on a track, I can afford to lose it. I'm attached to it, I love the thing, I've got my blood sweat and tears into it, but at the end of the day its not a terribly valuable car.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:48 PM
Brewer944
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thks Chrenan, that is something I am thinking hard about. I saw a Top Gear piece on amateur racing in Finland where they restrict the total value of a car very effectively to a very low sum. i will post link later. I also like the warning at our local race track's website: your insurance is not valid on the track!! (we all have the same provider here).

Anyway, have to head out to the aquarium with family now. I just wanted to post this piece of GREAT NEWS!!

I just asked the wife "honey, would you be interested in taking up track days with me?" After I explained what it was, she said, "sure, that sounds like fun!" And it was the right tone of voice for "sure".

YES!! Now I am going to pitch three ideas to her:

1) sell civic and 944 and buy a Cayman... may have to finance a few k but that's no prob.

2) Buy a Miata in the 7-10k range, sell 944.

3) Sell civic, buy a trailer, and dump 6-7k into 944 as necessary.

Will report back!
Old 07-18-2012, 08:53 PM
ubercooper
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

#2-3 ftw
Old 07-18-2012, 11:32 PM
Brewer944
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thread resolved (I think)

SO I began the thread with two directions to choose from and ended up going a third.

We are keeping the 944 and will be making necessary upgrades as needed! We will store it and aim to attend a DE day soon, probably after the garage is available again... for obvious reasons. That LS is on the cards again, for some day...

(The wife rides a sports bike and used to have a Civic Del Sol, but since she became a Mom she hadn't seemed as interested in speed.... so I didn't ask her before. Turns out she likes the idea. Good result.)

Thanks to everyone who chimed in!!
Old 07-19-2012, 01:48 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Sounds like you've got a keeper there. My wife is the same way. In fact, she's currently a bit miffed with me because I took her 2.5RS Impreza out to the track last month and popped the motor. Technically it was my motor in her car, but she still can't go drive it when she wants to get away from the station wagon and our rugrat for an afternoon.

Probably doesn't help things that I haven't turned over the keys to the BRZ to her yet. It's my new toy, and I am not yet ready to let it out of my sight. I'm probably going to hell for it, but that's just how it is for now.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:16 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

One thing I think all experienced racers would agree with is that if you are trying to learn to drive the last thing you want to be doing is also trying to develop a car. BUY SOMEONE ELSE'S. Concentrate on yourself, not the car. Don't worry, there is still plenty of mainenance to keep you busy, but building a car when you really just want track time is very frustrating and you'll wind up broke and disillusioned.

Quick Reply: Cayman S or 944 LSx?