Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

911 SC Euro Brake Issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 09:07 AM
Der ABT
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

i think its your 3.0....its too strong for the car.
you should give it to me...

Do you set up your pads before braking zones....just a little tap on the brakes in case of any pad chatter/backoff

i bring up the heat issue cause his wheels are barely a year old and have gone from the buckley black to purplish gold....that takes some heat to do that...and it was the rears that did it first....thats what got me thinking something was dragging/stuck on...

ill look at some vids but i dont think your on the brakes longer than normal...least not from what i remember at VIR but that was only one corner...
Old 07-11-2012, 09:42 AM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Frank, your issues are not normal and should be correctable. In four years, with my SC, I have rebuilt the front calipers twice, not because they were leaking, but for routine maintenance. I have never had to do the the rears. I bleed them after each event, usually pushing a quarter to half liter through the system. In the winter I will push a full liter.
I know from our conversation you use an assistant, I do both - Motive and assistant. Both ways work, I prefer an assistant. I change pads at 50%. Fronts are usually good for 2 weekends, rears go 5-6.
I think your brake system and that of the factory 82-83 Euro SCs are exactly the same.
If I were in your situation, I would install brake cooling ducts, change the pistons all around and rebuild with Porsche parts. (I buy my rebuild kits from Pelican) With those things done you may need to adjust at your braking style.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:03 AM
FrankyV
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Where are you getting your rebuild kits? What brand? We run SC calipers on the back of our car and haven't had any trouble in 5 years.
I am using the FTE rebuild kits sold by Pelican and new ATE calipers.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:12 AM
FrankyV
Burning Brakes

Thanks for all the good ideas, I am planning to try a lot of them and will report back after Mid Ohio.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:20 AM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Der ABT
Do you set up your pads before braking zones?....just a little tap on the brakes in case of any pad chatter/backoff.
Yes, good advice. I definitely do this too. It makes a big difference at certain tracks like Road America where the rumbles are big.

Plus, it fakes out that pesky competitor who may be filling your mirrors!
Old 07-11-2012, 11:27 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

did you replace all the calipers
Old 07-11-2012, 11:31 AM
dbryant61
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SkankyFrank
Thanks. I have not had any issues with pad life, and get about two race weekends out of the fronts and three to four out of the rear. I change them when they are 60-75% gone. The problem does not seem correlated with how much pad is left.
Wow, that's a lot of pads. I ran one set of PFC 97s in 2010 (17 days) and one set in 2011 and 2012 up through Road Atlanta. Me-thinks you doth brake too much.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:35 AM
FrankyV
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Sean F
did you replace all the calipers
Yes, both of the rears were replaced this year with new ATEs and each one has been rebuilt at least once using FTE kits.

Originally Posted by dbryant61
Wow, that's a lot of pads. I ran one set of PFC 97s in 2010 (17 days) and one set in 2011 and 2012 up through Road Atlanta. Me-thinks you doth brake too much.
Dude, are you running them down to the backing plate? That is crazy long pad life.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:38 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Yes, both of the rears were replaced this year with new ATEs and each one has been rebuilt at least once using FTE kits.

Dude, are you running them down to the backing plate? That is crazy long pad life.

Replace the front calipers. I chased this exact problem for 2 years. Did everything you did. Didn't go away until I put new front calipers in. No sign of leaking or any problems with them. They were just the last thing I changed because I ran out of other things to change.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:40 AM
dbryant61
Burning Brakes

Nope. Probably to about 1/3 of the original thickness. The pads do function as a heat sink, so less pad = less heat sink. This was a problem before I put brake cooling backing plates on. Back then I had to rebuild the calipers about every 5-6 weekends. Now I rebuild them about once a year. And forget the dust seals - they just burn off or disintegrate.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:41 AM
dbryant61
Burning Brakes

Replace the front calipers. I chased this exact problem for 2 years. Did everything you did. Didn't go away until I put new front calipers in. No sign of leaking or any problems with them. They were just the last thing I changed because I ran out of other things to change.
That makes great sense. Front calipers not functioning well causes more pressure to go to the rear.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:46 AM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

I agree Frank... Don, I've never heard of such a thing...

I usually replace my pads every other weekend... sometimes every weekend depending on the race... I never go to Atlanta or Road America without brand new pads... 125 mph downhill threshold braking zones stress the system (and me) just a little bit...
Old 07-11-2012, 11:47 AM
FrankyV
Burning Brakes

I was planning to rebuild them, and only replace them if the piston or cylinder was out of whack. Do you think I should just skip the rebuild and go straight to new calipers?
Old 07-11-2012, 11:54 AM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

I was planning to rebuild them, and only replace them if the piston or cylinder was out of whack. Do you think I should just skip the rebuild and go straight to new calipers?
If the piston or cylinder was out of whack, you would either be leaking fluid or one of the pistons would be sticking/frozen (which would manifest as bad unequal pad wear).

I would buy new pistons before buying new calipers.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:58 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,009 Likes on 603 Posts

Buy the Centric kits from RockAuto.com. They are 1/10 the price ($3.12 per caliper) and are made by the same people that do the StopTech brakes. Great kits and better quality rubber.

Quick Reply: 911 SC Euro Brake Issues