Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 11:21 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Rad22
Hooligan.

Loved it.

One criticism from a 58 year old fart...Does anyone else have an issue with an increasingly common film editing technique these days seemingly designed by and for individuals with ADHD? 3 second segments, flash cuts, interspersed with flashing graphics and off angle perspective. I yearn for a good old fashioned conventional edit.
I agree. While the editing is well done, I don't think it's done well.

What I mean is there is no concentration on the big picture. Its like the editing was done by a hundred different people who didn't have contact with one another - its all over the place. It's flashy and glitzy, and appeals to today's generation. It sells shoes and hats probably. Reminds me of when in elementary school teachers had the whole class paint a mural - one person painted a little square, and at the end all the squares would be put together. And every time, it would look like ch.t. Surprise, surprise. I would always think, 'why in the #@%* are we doing this?' Well, I guess, rather, I would've thought 'why are we doing this?'

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
Yes!

I was thinking the same thing. I like the camera that moves while the car is "paused" but I don't need, nor want to see the same donut shown 5 times from different angles... Absolutely hated that part.

It would've been good but with half shorter without the repeats.

Also, lose the plastic traffic cones & barriers.
Parts there it was just roads, buildings etc. makes it much more effective and cool. When you make a box out of plastic barriers, you might as well put that box into some remote parking lot, they took the fact that it some of the parts were shot in a city away.
I also agree. I didn't like the donuts either. Nor am I a fan of donuts in general. And, seeing donuts in a video like this is like watching grass grow. Yea, so?

Driving is much better than the film. I would've rather seen the entire film from one wide-angle camera on the roof of the car.

There's a reason the car chase in Bullitt has yet to, IMHO be even approached in terms of film quality in terms of theme, editing, cameras, emotion, etc.

Take care!
Old 07-09-2012, 11:33 PM
911FM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let's try this at the next DE...

FM
Old 07-10-2012, 01:28 AM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

that was lombard st right? how many people have drifted up it? 1? crazy
Old 07-10-2012, 04:51 PM
dp35
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought I was getting tired of these, but maybe not. I'm still impressed!

Almost more impressive than the driving was the ability to even do this in SF. It wasn't done early in the morning either, the shadows indicate mid day. I know SF somewhat, & can't believe this was done without hundreds of cell phone videos beating the final to YouTube (maybe they did & I wasn't aware). Many of the locations were right in front of expensive houses or apartments, where everyone would be filming (or throwing tomatoes since its SF).
Old 07-10-2012, 11:49 PM
ltusler
Three Wheelin'

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts

The guy is a skilled driver but its still just a over powered, light car, on hard tires with a big ebrake. His compettion history is not that impressive.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:03 AM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Rocks at 5:40 ...

Quick Reply: KEN BLOCK'S GYMKHANA FIVE: ULTIMATE URBAN PLAYGROUND; SAN FRANCISCO