Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Racing & Drivers Education Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum-65/)
-   -   KEN BLOCK'S GYMKHANA FIVE: ULTIMATE URBAN PLAYGROUND; SAN FRANCISCO (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/705875-ken-blocks-gymkhana-five-ultimate-urban-playground-san-francisco.html)

b5audia4 07-09-2012 01:06 PM

KEN BLOCK'S GYMKHANA FIVE: ULTIMATE URBAN PLAYGROUND; SAN FRANCISCO

Ken Block's latest vid in San Francisco - that's skills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=LuDN2bCIyus

V2Rocket 07-09-2012 01:24 PM

awesome. how do they shut the city down for that??

Little Green 07-09-2012 01:25 PM

Got this on email this morning, The flying sideways drift part was the best. You think you know how to drive until you see a guy like this.

Rad22 07-09-2012 01:32 PM

Hooligan.

Loved it.

One criticism from a 58 year old fart...Does anyone else have an issue with an increasingly common film editing technique these days seemingly designed by and for individuals with ADHD? 3 second segments, flash cuts, interspersed with flashing graphics and off angle perspective. I yearn for a good old fashioned conventional edit.

GuyIncognito 07-09-2012 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944 (Post 9672133)
awesome. how do they shut the city down for that??

I was wondering the same thing. I guess the eco wienies in SF still recognize a big check for "permits" ;)

Originally Posted by Little Green (Post 9672136)
Got this on email this morning, The flying sideways drift part was the best. You think you know how to drive until you see a guy like this.

the airborne drift was amazing. gonna have to go rent a Fiesta and give that a shot myself :rockon:

I was also impressed at how much of the time he's steering one handed while shifting and/or using the hand brake. I'd not noticed that in the previous videos.

Riad 07-09-2012 01:41 PM

Pffft. That's like my ride over the GW bridge into NYC.

911SLOW 07-09-2012 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Rad22 (Post 9672155)
One criticism from a 58 year old fart...Does anyone else have an issue with an increasingly common film editing technique these days seemingly designed by and for individuals with ADHD? 3 second segments, flash cuts, interspersed with flashing graphics and off angle perspective. I yearn for a good old fashioned conventional edit.

+1

Tony 07-09-2012 01:50 PM

They MUST have gone back and digitally "erased" people from the back ground scenery...Heck, there was Not a Person around! How do you keep folks from not watching that from some vantage point?

Agreed..the flying sideways drift was :rockon:

deep_purple 07-09-2012 01:52 PM

Thank you for sharing this.

They must've shot the car on the Bay Bridge during its closure over a long weekend. That was a few months ago.

I was quite impressed by the number of locations they had. Oh, and the driving as well...

mrbill_fl 07-09-2012 01:54 PM

not my taste, but very impressive skillz.

I can see shutting down the streets, but I don't see any crowds... and the tire marks show he's done this a few times...

where are the people? nobody's in sight for crowd control? weird.

deep_purple 07-09-2012 02:06 PM

My guess is that they had shot the scenes very early on Sundays, and had cops keeping the few wanderers a half block or more away... A few people can be seen behind a barrier, and an SFPD motorcycle makes a cameo...

Not that many people would be near the financial district anyway on a weekend morning, where they had the barriers. Those cable cars are not real cable cars, but tourist buses that look like cable cars (check the tires and the license plates).

In the residential areas, though, there aren't even people on the windows... Quite an achievement I guess...

Overall, still, an amazing video.

yellowducman 07-09-2012 02:20 PM

I like them better when he was in a Subie.

Matt Romanowski 07-09-2012 03:20 PM

Totally awesome!

mmccull5 07-09-2012 03:45 PM

ken block is a mad man

pete95zhn 07-09-2012 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Rad22 (Post 9672155)

+1

And I just love your avatar... ;)