Sponsored by:

Oh those geniuses at NASCAR up to it again

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 10:22 PM
VaSteve
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chrenan
I'd like to see the slowest car every 5 laps explode. That will motivate drivers and ensure only the fastest survive.
First car to drop out for any reason gets crushed on he infield by a monster truck. Ya hear that start and park teams?

Still, what about shortcuts?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/moto...ne/8458975.stm
Old 07-02-2012, 11:03 PM
Horus2000
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

The answer they're looking for is simple.....
Old 07-02-2012, 11:24 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

^^^WE HAVE A WINNER!!!! White or dark for your chicken dinner?!

(in all seriousness it won't be long, a little "hard parts" "west coast customs" and a "pimp my ride" and you're nearly there...)
Old 07-02-2012, 11:51 PM
white924s
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by GuyIncognito
I really do think the July race at Daytona should be on the 24 hour road course.
I think that would be great, although I wouldn't be surprised if at least a quarter of the field missed the bus stop.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:40 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,559 Likes on 2,117 Posts

Originally Posted by VaSteve
First car to drop out for any reason gets crushed on he infield by a monster truck. Ya hear that start and park teams?

Still, what about shortcuts?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/moto...ne/8458975.stm
That idea was not well received from the F1 crowd either. But seriously Steve, you're a big NASCAR guy and I know NASCAR gets a lot of flack here on RL, but IF NASCAR were to do more road courses, don't you think the show would be improved for those fans? It wouldn't be 15 car pile ups at 200 mph, but a little bump and run into a hairpin and side by side action where one or both cars end up in the dirty still petal to the metal. Wouldn't that make for the show without artificial enhancements (VR's woman with big bazookas not withstanding)?
Old 07-03-2012, 09:56 AM
VaSteve
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Pete
That idea was not well received from the F1 crowd either. But seriously Steve, you're a big NASCAR guy and I know NASCAR gets a lot of flack here on RL, but IF NASCAR were to do more road courses, don't you think the show would be improved for those fans? It wouldn't be 15 car pile ups at 200 mph, but a little bump and run into a hairpin and side by side action where one or both cars end up in the dirty still petal to the metal. Wouldn't that make for the show without artificial enhancements (VR's woman with big bazookas not withstanding)?

The F1 reference was just to show that someone always wants to mess with the formula to make it "better". It's a sport, just like anything else, sometimes the event just sucks. (Though a problem with racing, sometimes your team will *never* win, in any other sport sometimes you get an upset). And some tracks just suck.

One of the reasons they don't do more road courses has to do with seating. Which Daytona has plenty of. There's good seating and you can see the whole thing. Same with Homestead and Pocono. Which makes no sense why they won't do it.

I have been to a fair share of NASCAR races, probably more than many guys here on RL. It's sad to say that what you see on TV is not what you see when you're there. The TV paints a very limited picture of what's going on....hey, follow Junior around for 5 laps while there's no other cars around. Contrast with 6 hours of the Glen where you got a really good presentation of what all the teams (big and little) are doing. I have been following John Daly's blog for a while on the absolutely pitiful state of the coverage of the sport.

As anyone here that watches racing...sure watching a wreck can be an exciting variable, but it's also boring as hell when it's done while they clean up. I sat through a red flag where Trevor Bayne went wide in 1 at the Glen and cars were piled atop one another for 30 minutes. Then those guys are DONE for the day. How does a fan enjoy that? You can maybe fix it a little and "points race". I hit the short track about 10 miles from my house on Saturday nights. They have had nights when they have to do several restarts because they can't get one clean lap in for the late model cars. The fans aren't loving it. At least they can rack them back up a little quicker than a mandatory 3 laps of caution in the big leagues.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:58 AM
The Brewmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

NASCAR should be careful what it wishes for. The deliberate bunching of the field is eventually going to lead to a REAL BIG one in which entire cars or large chunks of debris make it beyond the catch fence and kill and injure a bunch of spectators.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:25 AM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Back to the figure 8 races.....
Old 07-04-2012, 01:28 AM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by txhokie4life
Back to the figure 8 races.....
LOL!

or for some old-school/Ricky Bobby action, everyone has some moonshine or meth or whatnot in their car; whoever finishes last gets "caught" by the police and goes to jail for 5-10.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:43 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 102 Likes on 52 Posts

Random water sprinklers at various places on the oval tracks, with soap.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:47 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

^^^don't you mean "TIDE"
Old 07-04-2012, 01:51 AM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by J richard
^^^don't you mean "TIDE"
that's just for the inevitable jet dryer collisions.
Old 07-04-2012, 04:03 PM
Derek@TRG
Former Vendor

"Call it what you want, but you've got to have caution flags," Smith said Saturday before the Sprint Cup race at Kentucky Speedway. "That creates excitement. You can't just sit there with nothing happening. It ruins the event. It's damaging to our sport."

What we need to remember here is that Bruton Smith is not part of NASCAR, he is a track owner/promoter. what he really meant was, "It ruins the event. It's damaging to my wallet."

How is flat out green flag RACING damaging to the sport of.......RACING????
Old 07-04-2012, 08:06 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

Why not have a stick of dynamite taped underneath a random car in each race...hand each fan a remote trigger and let them click away until a car goes BLAM....wouldn't that liven up things too? Accidents will happen enough in racing, any organization that strives to create more of them just makes me sick.

Quick Reply: Oh those geniuses at NASCAR up to it again