Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 09:46 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by analogmike
they are crap.
I have to think the system in the video was not working as intended. I would like to hear more about that from the Magnus team in this aspect. What did not did not work and what the rest of us can learn from it.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:23 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

How about a GB on the Safecraft quick release?
Old 07-15-2012, 10:29 PM
blzkrg
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all,

My two (additional) cents:

The fire system did "work" but as someone here said, it only points in so many places and can't point in all. You put the nozzles where the rules ask (which are the most likely fire places) but if a fire happens somewhere else, they will be useless. Also, I suspect (I am guessing here) that if you did have a real engine fire, the nozzles on the engine would, at most, buy you time to get out. I do think the car would still get consumed. From a saving money perspective, I do wish I had a small handheld fire extinguisher...

On the extra window net connector, we run it because it is required by rules but I am not sure how much safety it adds. All additional nets slow the drivers exit to the car (or slow track officials from helping the driver in the case where the driver is unconscious). Not only is this true because there is one more step in getting access to the outside but the button only points one way. While we have a pull for the inside of the car, it is designed to be operated faster by the outside. Keep in mind that we run that net in ADDITION to the regular window net so we already have protection on the sides. Most importantly though: as my co-driver Andy pointed out a few weeks ago, a hard hit to the driver's side door will depress the big red button, releasing the net. I don't think this device has been completely thought out.

Just my opinion, of course.

Oh, and as an interesting update (and another product endorsement) the MoTeC dash survived the fire! We had it tested and it works. I didn't think it was that durable. That saved a lot of $$$...The shift lights above it were destroyed of course, which shows how close the fire got to the dash. We are bringing a spare ADL2 to Indy, just in case though. Most of the damage was really just to the electrical system (so some new harnesses and fuse box are needed).

Thanks all

John Potter
Old 07-16-2012, 12:32 AM
hoggel
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

If was nice to see you and your beautiful 4.0 in the Parade. Good luck with the rest of the season.

Quick Reply: Magnus Porsche fire drill, in car vid.