Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GGR DE/TT

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 04:36 AM
speedoflight
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well mooty u talked me into it. i'm signed up both days! going cw for the 1st time. will see how it goes.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:30 PM
U.S.
AutoX

Default TH 7/14/15

My opinion of this track is that it is safe in the CW direction.

What I do appreciate is that people may have some fear of the unknown or little known.

You have to take a leap of faith to confront those fears.

I had the same fears when I had only a few years of driving and a new configuration would be introduced. I would worry about it and then just go and do it.

I checked the roster for this event and there are some stellar instructors coming. Included are Evan Williams and Hank Watts. I would really like to see Mike Mitchell come as well and understand why he cannot.

I have offered to coach anyone in the higher group and am sure that Tavernetti will do the same as well as enlist other instructors to do the same. I will lay a bet that Carl will step up as well and coach anyone that wants it.

Bottom line is to not let your fears run you. Confront them and take it slowly and learn the track in this direction. You will be glad that you did.
Old 07-07-2012, 02:12 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 904 Likes on 440 Posts

Originally Posted by U.S.

What I do appreciate is that people may have some fear of the unknown or little known.

I had the same fears when I had only a few years of driving and a new configuration would be introduced. I would worry about it and then just go and do it.
It's not fear. I am not afraid to run the track clockwise. I used to road race motorcycles (600, 750, 1000) at Sears Point, Thunderhill, and Buttonwillow. I've run Thunderhill clockwise on a bike.

I choose not to run Thunderhill clockwise because I don't like what I see at the exit of turn 1.

On top of that, the groups I would race with don't run Thunderhill clockwise.

So, if I am going to spend time on the Thunderhill track, it is going to be in the counter clockwise direction. That's my choice and it is not based on fear.

Scott
Old 07-07-2012, 07:06 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by U.S.

I checked the roster for this event and there are some stellar instructors coming. Included are Evan Williams and Hank Watts. I would really like to see Mike Mitchell come as well and understand why he cannot.

I have offered to coach anyone in the higher group and am sure that Tavernetti will do the same as well as enlist other instructors to do the same. I will lay a bet that Carl will step up as well and coach anyone that wants it.

Bottom line is to not let your fears run you. Confront them and take it slowly and learn the track in this direction. You will be glad that you did.
Overcoming fear is a honorable undertaking. Ignoring the pit-out wall jutting out into your track out line is something completely different. One requires courage, the other well, something completely different....
Old 07-07-2012, 08:37 PM
JerryW
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are running backwards and using the bypass - think of where the flag stations are to protect the back of the bypass. T6 Flag station is quite far away, you can't easily see the flag station at the top of T5 as you approach the bypass. I've had the unfortunate experience of sitting on the back of T5 bypass (backwards) Drivers side on to on coming traffic and hearing a car accelerate up the bypass. Luckly he took the inner line over the bypass otherwise he'd have come into my door. Until there is better protection for the back of the bypass I'll not run it backwards over the bypass. Only just think over the top is safe, and agree with Scott that T1 is a worry.

My opinion only.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:15 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,739 Likes on 2,348 Posts

Originally Posted by speedoflight
well mooty u talked me into it. i'm signed up both days! going cw for the 1st time. will see how it goes.
doing what i can. love my buds to run with GGR. despite my pref of the other direction. just like i judge cars by the width of their rears, what engine they have or brands are irrelevant.

Last edited by mooty; 07-08-2012 at 03:49 AM.
Old 07-08-2012, 03:41 AM
quickxotica
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 85 Posts

Please note we will run over the top of T5, not the bypass. Fast cars get airborne at the bypass, which is not good. Also, this is a DE/TT event. No club race, so nobody will be on the inside of anyone else through T1, so the issue of being forced wide by traffic should not occur. How much room you leave yourself at the exit will be solely between each driver and their comfort level, as it should be.
Old 07-08-2012, 06:35 AM
winders
Race Car

Originally Posted by quickxotica
How much room you leave yourself at the exit will be solely between each driver and their comfort level, as it should be.
My concern is not when everything goes as planned.....

Scott
Old 07-09-2012, 12:51 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,739 Likes on 2,348 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
My concern is not when everything goes as planned.....

Scott
LOL, scott, it is clear you have been around a long time! margins....
just like the tow vehicle thread i responded to. ppl think i am nuts towing a 18' open trailer with a peterbilt. but hey, i ALWAYS over do it.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:14 AM
winders
Race Car

Originally Posted by mooty
LOL, scott, it is clear you have been around a long time! margins....
It's the motorcycle racer in me. My motto on the track is: Hope for the best but be prepared for the worst.

At Sears Point you have to accept, and respect, all the concrete walls, metal fences, and tire barriers that you might run into and drive accordingly. It's the nature of that beast. But Thunderhill doesn't have to be that way so why make it that way?

Originally Posted by mooty
just like the tow vehicle thread i responded to. ppl think i am nuts towing a 18' open trailer with a peterbilt. but hey, i ALWAYS over do it.
Well, that is a little nuts. An F350 would be sufficient overkill......

Scott
Old 07-09-2012, 10:37 PM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Working on going w/ the Cup -- trying to find another set of tires in time.

Anyone know exactly what config they're running? I'd rather not run CW but whatever...

-mike
Old 07-09-2012, 11:15 PM
quickxotica
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fleadh
Working on going w/ the Cup -- trying to find another set of tires in time.

Anyone know exactly what config they're running? I'd rather not run CW but whatever...

-mike
Config: full course, CW, over the top. 4 rungroups. 20-25 minute sessions all weekend, except Sunday afternoon instead of the last round of sessions we do Timed Runs (aka "solo" Time Trial laps on the clock: 1 warm-up, 2 timed, 1 cool-down).

Registration is technically closed, so let me know asap if you want in.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:40 PM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by quickxotica
Config: full course, CW, over the top. 4 rungroups. 20-25 minute sessions all weekend, except Sunday afternoon instead of the last round of sessions we do Timed Runs (aka "solo" Time Trial laps on the clock: 1 warm-up, 2 timed, 1 cool-down).

Registration is technically closed, so let me know asap if you want in.
I just sent an email to the address listed on the motorsportreg website (went there and found it was closed). I'm good to go with my car so if there's room count me in... just let me know where to send payment and/or the forms to fill out. Thanks!

-mike
Old 07-10-2012, 01:04 AM
quickxotica
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fleadh
I just sent an email to the address listed on the motorsportreg website (went there and found it was closed). I'm good to go with my car so if there's room count me in... just let me know where to send payment and/or the forms to fill out. Thanks!

-mike
Mike- You have a PM. You should be getting an email from our registrar shortly.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:47 PM
dpressley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Default Thanks GGR for a GREAT event!

HUGE thanks to GGR for a GREAT event! THill CW was an absolute blast. As usual, the instructing staff was top notch. The optional track walk on Fri night was not to be missed. On Sat I put together what I learned from "study" with what skills I have and figured out a lot, nibbling away at it each session. I had 2 different instructors offer to ride a session with me on Sunday and got great feedback from both. I found it to be a fantastic opportunity for me to work on the driving skills I have as a low intermediate DE'r.

Anyone who opted not to run with them because of the direction is a scared little girl.

OK... I think my job here is done!

Quick Reply: GGR DE/TT