Sponsored by:

iphone4s lap timers

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 11:50 AM
JRMaroon
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chrenan
I tested this a couple of weeks ago at a time attack at Stratotech, a small track outside Edmonton. Timing by the transponder my best lap was 72.487 and Harry's Laptimer had that lap at 72.61 with no GPS add-on, just the iPhone 4S.
This is better performance than I experienced with an iPhone 4. Laps would not always trigger at start/finish and the MPH reading would sometimes display "0" while in motion.

I am putting the Dual XGPS150A into service this weekend and look forward to better results.

Still not sure where to mount it.
Old 06-01-2013, 02:31 AM
996_C4S
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DCP
Harry's works really well with an external GPS; not so well without it. Probably also true of any other timing app. I use Emprum UltiMate for better GPS.
+1. Harry's plus Emprum is quite accurate (and simple).
Old 06-01-2013, 08:49 AM
chrenan
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 996_C4S
+1. Harry's plus Emprum is quite accurate (and simple).
Can you expand on the "simple" part? I'm not a techy person at all, if I can't fix it with a ratchet I'm easily frustrated.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:45 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,015 Likes on 1,769 Posts

Originally Posted by JRMaroon
This is better performance than I experienced with an iPhone 4. Laps would not always trigger at start/finish and the MPH reading would sometimes display "0" while in motion.
That's my issue...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 06-01-2013, 02:28 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Has anybody tried iPhone/harry's mounted to a rollbar? I'd like to position it so I can see my hands. Just wondering if the exposure is right for the video.
Old 06-01-2013, 02:54 PM
jcastle
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

can use new multicam feature to sync a rollbar cam and windshield or other location. could also use external gps like fps sport and mount iphone on roll bar.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:56 AM
DCP
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chrenan
Can you expand on the "simple" part? I'm not a techy person at all, if I can't fix it with a ratchet I'm easily frustrated.
There is a bit of a software learning curve with Harry's, but once you understand what you need to do, it is very simple to use. Enough people use it that finding help is not hard. Harry maintains a website that is pretty helpful and will response to questions pretty rapidly.

The videos with overlaid data are very good, but create a duplicate file that takes up a lot of memory. I prepare them after I get home.

On my 4S, without the external GPS, the lines of the track are not smooth, meaning that the GPS signal was not great, but with the external GPS it is smooth and the triggering at start/finish is quite reliable.

The Emprum device I use is quite small and plugs into the 4S's connecting port. It takes a few minutes to find itself and then works very well. I'm told that the 5 works pretty well without it, which is a good thing because it had a different connecting port.

I delete music before a track day so that I have room for the videos. I plan to recharge the phone at the track in between runs.
Old 06-03-2013, 02:19 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by paver
Has anybody tried iPhone/harry's mounted to a rollbar? I'd like to position it so I can see my hands. Just wondering if the exposure is right for the video.
Originally Posted by jcastle
can use new multicam feature to sync a rollbar cam and windshield or other location. could also use external gps like fps sport and mount iphone on roll bar.
Yeah, I think I have found a mount that would work for the rollbar. And I would use the Dual external gps w/bluetooth. My question is the video exposure any good when the phone is mounted that far back in the cabin. I know when you mount a gopro like that there is a specific setting for that exposure level. I guess i will do a test run with somebody just holding it there.

Quick Reply: iphone4s lap timers