Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HANS device for DE's - open face helmet OK?

Old 06-21-2012, 02:47 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 718 Likes on 394 Posts

The Simpson R3 may be another consideration - you can wear it in the student's car with 3-point belts. Seems to be fairly popular with instructors.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:25 AM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
Examples?
Nhra, off road truck racing, etc. one thing that skews the numbers in top road racing series is that only Hans is allowed, not SFi 38.1/fia.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:01 PM
CanyonBlaster
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
The Simpson R3 may be another consideration - you can wear it in the student's car with 3-point belts. Seems to be fairly popular with instructors.
This is an interesting option indeed. Thanks.
Anyone with first hand experience?

http://simpsonraceproducts.com/head-neck/r3.html
Old 06-21-2012, 08:07 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 758 Likes on 498 Posts

I have an R3 and thinks it's great. I had to adjust the tethers a little, but no problems with it. I'd recommend it.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:17 PM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CanyonBlaster

I've been looking for something like this for a while! I noticed it's also compatible with motox -- this is something I'd like to get back into, assuming the girlie will let me...

If I had had something like this 5yrs ago when I broke my back in a motox race, things might've ended differently.

Matt -- you mention you had to adjust the tethers. How comfortable is it to wear, given the restraint is between the seat back and your back? I also noticed the tether doesn't loop behind the helmet as high as on the HANS -- do you notice this difference? I've liked this feature on HANSs but it may not be as uncomfortable as one may think. Last question: do you run this predominantly with race belts or a 3-point? Have you tried both? Thanks!
Old 06-21-2012, 08:43 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ausgeflippt951
Matt -- you mention you had to adjust the tethers. How comfortable is it to wear, given the restraint is between the seat back and your back? I also noticed the tether doesn't loop behind the helmet as high as on the HANS -- do you notice this difference? I've liked this feature on HANSs but it may not be as uncomfortable as one may think. Last question: do you run this predominantly with race belts or a 3-point? Have you tried both? Thanks!
Adjusting the teathers is really easy. They are supposed to be only loose enough to let you turn your head 45 degrees. Took about 5 minutes. I don't mind it behind me - I don't even use the supplied back pad. I've never used a HANS, so I can't compare them, you stop noticing it's there by the time you get to the end of pit road.

I've used it with harnesses and 3 point. Not differnce in either. The only thing I've noticed is when you have a really green student and you want to help check that no one is behind them or to the side (becuase the other driver moved unexpectedly) you can't turn your head that far to see, but that is no different than any other restraint.
Old 06-22-2012, 05:21 PM
OGRacing
Addict Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
Before you think about using this with 3 point belts, you should ask the manufacturer for the test results done by an independent test facility using 3 point belts. Without that info it's a gamble on the usability of this device with 3 point belts. Sure would like to see their response.
Not trying to start a fire fight, just trying to help everyone be more informed about the proper use of safety equipment.

Bill
info@ogracing.com

Sparco's Largest Distributor for 28 Years
PFC Distributor for 27 Years
Pagid, Alpinestars, MOMO, OMP, Hawk, Bell, Aim, G-Force, HJC,
HANS, Arai, Simpson, Brey Krause, Longacre, CoolShirt!
Supplying Track Junkies for 34 Years.

PCA Club Racing - National Sponsor Since 1998

A Veteran Owned Business

Check out our blog!

Old 06-23-2012, 04:24 AM
facelvega
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 57 Posts

I have one that I use when I travel and am driving rental cars with 3-points on track (Nurburgring, Spa). Easy to use, comfortable. Have not "tested" it by hitting anything.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:06 AM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by paver
The racers that wear HANS are using halo seats. The others mentioned may offer more protection for those of us who don't use halo seats.
That is the point, the Big boys are running a system that works together to provide a safety bubble. they run a halo seat, hans, full face, set up.

Safety is an individual thing, Some take the approach of saying it can't happen to me, others say, I am doing a dangerous hobby and i should spend my money on safety first.

This post was to ask our opinions, my is, I feel safer racing than I do instructing. When i race, i have the total system, full face, hybrid, halo seat, 6 pt belts, fire system.

When I instruct I do not have control, I ride with guys who have 600 hp and no talent, sometimes I am in a 3 point. I would get as much safety as you can. the hybrid can offer some protection if not in a 3 point.

I think a full face in a DE car makes more sense, they are not allowed to have window nets so there is a higher risk of flying objects.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:44 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
Nhra, off road truck racing, etc. one thing that skews the numbers in top road racing series is that only Hans is allowed, not SFi 38.1/fia.
Just for accuracy, and absolutely not trying to argue, from the IndyCar rule book:

"INDYCAR requires the use
of head restraint systems.
Head restraint systems must
meet or exceed SFI 38.1
certifications and be
approved by INDYCAR."
Old 06-23-2012, 12:19 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i run the Safety Solutions Hybrid PRO Rage- which is like the R above but can only be used with five/six point harnesses. Awesome to use, i never used the Hans but i decided to run this after reading up. John Force's whole team uses these and the R3. As far as open face I can see why you would want it for instructing but i'll be sticking with my full face, even as an instructor.
Old 06-23-2012, 06:02 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

why wouldnt they be?

thanks
Some factory belts are double sown specifically to release at an impact (effectively canceling the HANS device). It's written on them that they are not supposed to be used with HANS. Look on the shoulder straps.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:03 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Rassel
Some factory belts are double sown specifically to release at an impact (effectively canceling the HANS device). It's written on them that they are not supposed to be used with HANS. Look on the shoulder straps.
We're talking about using an R3 with the regular belts, not a HANS. The R3 doesn't rely on the belts.
Old 06-23-2012, 08:36 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
We're talking about using an R3 with the regular belts, not a HANS. The R3 doesn't rely on the belts.
It is the belts that make the need for a H&N. What is provided by an unbelted H&N?
Old 06-23-2012, 09:41 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by kurt M
It is the belts that make the need for a H&N. What is provided by an unbelted H&N?
I'm sure the weight of the helmet doesn't help either. I'm not an expert, but isn't the plan to keep the relative distance of the skull to the base of the neck the same throughout the deacceleration? If so, you get to pick how you restrain the head. HANS does it by tying the head to the belts, where the belts define the location of the base of the neck. The Simpson (Safety Solutions) efforts are to use the body as the restraint instead of the belts and locate off the top of the shoulders.

I agree with everyone that the safety gear in your car is really a system compromised of your cage, seat, harness, head and neck restraint, side nets, etc. To me, using the harness to hold the head and neck restraint is sort of like mounting your seat belts to your seat. One thing is totally dependant on the other. In perfect cases it all works fine, but what happens when it goes bad?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HANS device for DE's - open face helmet OK?