Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HANS device for DE's - open face helmet OK?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 05:35 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

I had the Leatt - just swapped to the new necksgen this weekend haven't yet used

I liked the Leatt was bummed about the recall
Old 09-15-2014, 05:54 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by audipwr1
Without Halo, I'd say a Simpson or Necksgen may be a better choice, but this is based just on my own research which led me to buy a necksgen for DE and club racing usage
If I knew I'd never be on track in a 3 point belt, I might have got the Necksgen too. It sits higher on the shoulder and tighter to your neck, so is kinder on seat leather (I deburred my Simpson with a Dremel). Quite popular in my circles. That said, I recently had the chance to grab a ride-along on a test day with one of our country's best known racers in a cheap Honda that was caged but only had a 3-point for the passenger. He was going full out and the Hybrid Sport served me very well there. It pays to get one with the side straps that loop onto the lap belts of a 5 or 6 point harness. They don't get in the way when not used and provide extra protection when they are.
Old 09-15-2014, 06:56 PM
noturavgm
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 996tnz
It pays to get one with the side straps that loop onto the lap belts of a 5 or 6 point harness. They don't get in the way when not used and provide extra protection when they are.
Once you are all snugged down in the harness, do they actually do anything but keep the chest strap from riding up uncomfortably?
Old 09-15-2014, 07:15 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by noturavgm
Once you are all snugged down in the harness, do they actually do anything but keep the chest strap from riding up uncomfortably?
Probably not if you truly are sitting snug like a pinned bug. If someone just drives their own car(s), with the right size seat, right height harness slots etc then those straps probably add little except an extra opportunity to swear as you fiddle them into place. If, like me, you're in and out of quite a few cars in a year (from sedans through to wings and slicks open wheelers) - including some shared ones that can't be personalised in the setup - then those straps can provide some additional security when you want it, and they don't seem to get in the way when not used.

In the worst case scenario, say roll, end over end, smack sideways/at angle into wall from about 150MPH - ie when you want your restraint to work at its best - I believe the side straps (along with the Simpson's chest strap) help ensure that both your body and the restraint are still in their optimal positions for that final big hit.

Last edited by 996tnz; 09-17-2014 at 02:05 AM.
Old 09-16-2014, 06:06 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Love my NECKSGEN REV- much more comfortable than the HANS. Delighted I purchased it.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:07 AM
noturavgm
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gofishracing
Love my NECKSGEN REV- much more comfortable than the HANS. Delighted I purchased it.
Had you ever tried on the original Necksgen?

The mechanical engineer in me likes the front yoke part and the adjustable tether length of the original.

Quick Reply: HANS device for DE's - open face helmet OK?