Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RSS Control arms

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 11:23 AM
Dan Jacobs
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 41 Posts

I agree with Rick. The stock part has a very well known history with a very low failure rate
when replaced at a reasonable interval. In the last 12 years with a lot of cups I've had exactly
zero failures. I've seen several of these fail along with several failures of the Fabcar part
interestingly the failure on all was the pin. I think the issue is the hardness of the pin
harder = more brittle
Old 12-10-2012, 08:13 PM
Vonschmidt
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We run these arms and have had no issues as of this writing. I also am impressed RSS contacted us not the other way around and indicated they had a new bolt and when i went to order it they refused the money and sent it over at their own expense.

Hard to beat customer care like that and if there was a perceived issue they were proactive.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:34 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 601 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by Vonschmidt
We run these arms and have had no issues as of this writing. I also am impressed RSS contacted us not the other way around and indicated they had a new bolt and when i went to order it they refused the money and sent it over at their own expense.

Hard to beat customer care like that and if there was a perceived issue they were proactive.

I wanted to chime in because I have been following this thread since inception and I need to clarify a few things:

1.) RSS tarmac series control arms sell because people like us that don't have a Porsche Motorsport relationship don't want to pay 150% or sometimes 200% for something that we could get somewhere else.
2.) The GT3 outboard control arm bushing is not rubber. it is a rubber boot but it's a heim joint or spherical. It's not rubber and can't be offset to affect camber gain/loss which is why those RSR style outter studs were introduced to GT3 Cup cars. I was originally going to use these for money savings and ease of purchase from the dealer but that bushing can't be offset and there is value in offsetting it.
3.) While there are have been a few failures reported, I just received 26 outter control arm pin kits because RSS stepped up and replaced the part with a newer, beefier part, free of charge and no questions asked. Do you guys know how many times we have had parts fail on race cars only to have a vendor tell me "that is NOT a race car NOR is it a street car and therefore you install parts at your own risk and liability."

No company is going to guarantee that these parts won't fail or lead to injury. BUT, if you truly want to see the epitome of putting your money where your mouth is, we will have nearly a quarter of a million dollars tied up in this Rolex 24 Hour Cayman and it has RSS Tarmac arms on it front to toe. I have faith in RSS and while we are sponsored by them, as opposed to saying "come on guys, give them another chance," call me on Monday January 29th and I'll let you know how they went.

John
Old 12-11-2012, 12:02 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

What replacement interval do you plan on using for your racecars?
Old 12-11-2012, 12:40 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Cory M
What replacement interval do you plan on using for your racecars?
Monday morning after the 24 hour!

We check our bushings for play every day at the track at the end of the day or weekend. During the season something like this will be new to start and won't be replaced unless someone complains of something.

Thanks.

John
Old 12-11-2012, 07:47 PM
Ilker@SCB
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with John to change the control arms out after 20+ hours. We almost crashed at 140+ mph in our 2010 Cup car when the original control arm broke. PMNA said that we should have switched them after 20 hours (we had 30 hours on them). As for RSS - we use them on many track cars that we build and work on...never had an issue so far.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:21 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Ilker@SCB
I agree with John to change the control arms out after 20+ hours. We almost crashed at 140+ mph in our 2010 Cup car when the original control arm broke. PMNA said that we should have switched them after 20 hours (we had 30 hours on them). As for RSS - we use them on many track cars that we build and work on...never had an issue so far.
Seems pretty conservative, using that rationale Porsche 911's shouldn't compete in any endurance races like Daytona, Lemans, Thunderhill, etc without swapping control arms in the pits, and club guys should be replacing them every 3 race weekends...
Old 12-12-2012, 01:28 PM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Should we contact a retailer for replacement components?
Old 12-12-2012, 01:40 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by The DareDevil
Should we contact a retailer for replacement components?
I received 32 pin kits because RSS went back into their records and found that we sold 8 sets of RSS Tarmac Series lower control arms. Call whoever sold you and installed your lower control arms, as they should have pin kits that are marked for you personally.

Thanks.

John
Old 12-13-2012, 08:46 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Shoot me a note if I can help.

Quick Reply: RSS Control arms