Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Video: Watched a Top Fuel dragster grenade its motor at 270mph

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 03:23 PM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Received 293 Likes on 185 Posts

I grew up not far from Englishtown Raceway in NJ. I'm not really a drag racing fan, but it's worth checking out top fuel cars in person at least once just to view the spectacle. Those things are insane. They vibrate the grandstands (and your innards) as they blast by during a run. Get a paddock pass (assuming you can still do that) and watch the mechanics tear down a motor in a few minutes, and watch the cars warm up. I remember seeing a 55 gallon drum of nitro near a team trailer with the label "shock sensitive" on it (!!) Geez ...

I always knew when the top fuel cars were running because I could hear them clearly from my house 15 miles from Englishtown. Crazy ...

Scott
Old 06-05-2012, 03:54 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Hearing a top fuel dragster launch off the line is probably the loudest thing you'll ever hear and live to tell about it :-)

Loud enough to make my nephews knees wobbly -- with headphones on and ear plugs in, and hands pressing the headphones as hard as he could.
He loved it though!

there was a pretty good article in Popular Mechanics within the last few years that detailed
what happens between and during a run -- pretty amazing.

Mike
Old 06-05-2012, 04:32 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 914 Likes on 557 Posts

Nitro is crazy. You can't light it on fire with a match but it will explode if you hit it with a hammer.

Quick Reply: Video: Watched a Top Fuel dragster grenade its motor at 270mph