Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Spec Racer Atom is Finished

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2012 | 02:08 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by utkinpol
that car looks truly amazing, congrats! what event will you do with it next?
Thanks Paul. I'll christen it at the Glen in a few weeks.
Originally Posted by m73m95
OMG. That is the greatest thing I have ever seen!! I LOVE those little cars!!

Congrats man!!! You'll have vids, right?
It has video as part of the package. I'm imagining that my first vids will be really slow with lots of whoops.
Originally Posted by winders
That cockpit does not look at all safe to me. If another Atom spun and ended sliding into the cockpit nose first, it would be all over for the driver.

Scott
An open wheel car is going to be inherently more dangerous but I think it makes up for it with the fun factor.
Originally Posted by jittsl
That looks like lots of fun. Will the NER people let you bring it to Tremblant? I love to have you take me for a lap or two.

Laurie.
Hi Laurie. I don't know if NCR/NER will allow me to run the car at PCA DEs. We are gonna leave the car at Monticello and use it mainly there.....for now!
Old 06-03-2012 | 02:12 PM
winders
Race Car

Joe,

No other open cockpit car I am aware of has such a large opening between the side intrusion bars protecting the driver's head. Formula 1, IndyCar, SRF, FF, etc., all have much better protection. At least that is the impression I get from looking at the chassis in photographs.

There is no "lack of understanding" here. I understand that it is a purpose built race car. I am using "pillar" terminology that we all can relate to to discuss where I would like to see additional structure. As far as I am concerned, I feel the driver far too exposed in the design of this car. I don't care how smart the designers are or what kind of engineers they have working on the car. If the Atom got underneath another car, the driver could have a real problem. More so than with any other open cockpit car I am aware of.

Again, this is my opinion. If others don't share the opinion, that's great. I am not saying other people should not drive or race the SRA. That is their choice.

Scott
Old 06-03-2012 | 02:13 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dp35
Congrats Coochas!

As you know I'm a long time Atom owner, and was fortunate to be a guest driver at a SRA event at VIR last year. If you are on the fence about racing, I'd say go for it with the TMI setup at VIR. I've had some experience racing various cars, tracks, & series, and the SRA setup is the best in all categories. The way they treat the drivers is especially nice.

Whether you race it or not, you'll love this car. One word of advice - patience. If you can't drive it like the Stig at first, take your time & don't push to hard. These aren't like the cars most of us are used to, & they can be a handful. Enjoy learning how to tame that.
Thank you for your advice during the purchase decision and process.
I definitely plan on being patient with the car especially since this is my first open wheel vehicle aside from a lawnmower.

I watched your Vimeo vid from the VIR race many times when I was preparing for my trip there. You were smoking!

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
The actual structure of the chassis is a larger surface area than any of the gaps in the side of the chassis. (see 2nd to last picture) Everything that is hanging in front of that radiator has no structure to it. It's just some fiberglass. The car won't be spearing through like you want to imagine or submarining, it's just not that low. I've had the displeasure of sitting right seat when a driver put one in the tire wall and even squishy tires didn't intrude into the cockpit. The car took a pretty darn good lick and we were able to get it back out on track later that day even.

A-pillar/B-pillar structure. This is a purpose built racecar, not a street car don't use those terms as they don't apply. Main hoop, front hoop yes but talking about pillars just shows a lack of understanding about that type of chassis.

As for the frontal area. It's an OPEN cockpit car. Biggest class in SCCA is open cockpit. F1 is open cockpit. Yes there are some dangers but no different than any other open car. The car does have forward bracing off the main hoop that does a lot to protect the driver.

The SRA is not like the normal atom (no bolt on roll hoops, etc.) and has some extensive development done by guys who engineered for a couple of GrandAm DP teams, various upper level open wheel series and the like. What the pictures don't show is the office area off to one side with all the computers and the associated certifiably smart people running them. I was skeptical of the car at first when they talked about the series but the additions and upgrades to the chassis were well done and addressed the issues I had.

As dp35 says, patience. The car is a great learning tool as it doesn't hide mistakes like most of the cars that people drive on here. It rewards smooth as much as any other car I've driven. It also demands some concentration as well, especially in the wet. A couple years back I was giving charity rides for over 8 hours straight on a wet track. Got home that night and slept for 14 straight hours. I was beat. They are a blast and I always had fun driving one. While the SRA doesn't ahve the supercharger it's still incredibly quick.
Thanks Joe. The cage and feet area are a different design than the road going Atom. As mentioned above, yeah it's open wheeled so there is more risk.

I will do my best to be patient with it. I am WICKED excited !!!!!!
Old 06-03-2012 | 02:16 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Lolaman
Congrats, Dave!

If you ever want to talk performance benchmarks, let me know. I've got about 600 GB of data and video on these cars!
Thanks Peter, I'll let you know.
Thanks again for the hospitality last month at David Murry.
Old 06-03-2012 | 02:31 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Congrats Dave! The Atom looks like an unbelievably fun ride... Enjoy it, and definitely take it racing!

All the best,
-Blake
Old 06-03-2012 | 06:32 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

As NCR Vice Keiser, I say it's allowed provided I get a ride. I'm sure Keiser Jay will agree.
Old 06-03-2012 | 07:03 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
As NCR Vice Keiser, I say it's allowed provided I get a ride. I'm sure Keiser Jay will agree.
Thanks Matt! It's good to have friends in high places. I'll let you know.
Old 06-03-2012 | 07:09 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

BTDT!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 06-03-2012 | 08:08 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Looks like a very modern factory. I only saw one person.

Have fun with it
Old 06-03-2012 | 09:21 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

12-15 folks, plus the management team. They relocated from Canada to Southside Virginia several years ago and are doing well.
Old 06-03-2012 | 09:51 PM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

There were two Ariel Atoms at the COMSCC test and tune day at NHMS.
Old 06-03-2012 | 10:30 PM
jcs_911
Racer

PCA DEs don't allow cars without fenders. In fact, they just released an update to their guidance indicating that the fenders have to be attached to the body.
Old 06-03-2012 | 10:41 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Nice Dave; congrats. I think Bob Rouleau has one.
A bit different from the Boxster and Turbo.
Is there enough body work for cat's paw prints?
Old 06-04-2012 | 12:56 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by jcs_911
PCA DEs don't allow cars without fenders. In fact, they just released an update to their guidance indicating that the fenders have to be attached to the body.
Where have you seen this? I've read the RPM, DE Minimum Standards, Risk Management, and all of the other docuements relating to DE and never seen that. I also haven't received any info in regards to this from National.
Old 06-04-2012 | 02:37 AM
winders
Race Car

Where have you seen this? I've read the RPM, DE Minimum Standards, Risk Management, and all of the other docuements relating to DE and never seen that. I also haven't received any info in regards to this from National.
Hidden in plain site:

http://www.pca.org/Activities/Driver...Standards.aspx

Scott

Quick Reply: My Spec Racer Atom is Finished