Sponsored by:

Big shout out to Mark at OG Racing

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 09:23 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Big shout out to Mark at OG Racing

Mark was super helpful this weekend when a fellow racer was collected by a spinning Corvette yesterday at Thunderbolt. I was lucky and maybe 3 cars in front of the carnage. It took us 2 hours to get the car apart enough to load on my trailer and Mark helped to the bitter end. You can't ask for better support!!!
Old 05-27-2012, 09:33 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Awesome comraderie among racers.

I did the 3 hour NASA Enduro on Friday and it was really good group of racers.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:49 AM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Unfortunately, I was the said car that was collected by the corvette that lost control at the start of Saturday's race. Saturday was certainly a day of extreme highs and lows. Did well in Qualifying (Q1 out of 11 GTS3 cars, 9th overall in the Thunder group, and a new GTS3 track record at thunderbolt with chicane).... Should have heeded Bruce McGinnis's warning to me 7 years ago at my first skip barber school: " when it feels good, watch out". I was on a streak, the car was hooked up like never before, and I had stepped through a plateau in my driving (won two of three NASA GTS3 races, one second place, and two new track records and was looking forward to a good showing in NASA nationals).... I should have been on the alert for karma to kick in!

Anyway, I'm pretty bummed... but when you're racing hard, eventually your number is going to come up. Fortunately, the car should be repairable (new bumper, fender, and most of right front suspension). Precious (my 993) had survived over 30 PCA and NASA races over the past 3 years; so, I guess I'm fortunate to have escaped unscathed up until now. I can accept my own errors, but it's hard to swallow the things that you can't control (a poor driver that spins unprovoked at the start of a race).

I definitely have to thank a few people that helped me out. Props to Mark Francis who stuck around, turned a wrench, and helped get the car in shape to load on Bob's trailer (no chance we'd get her on my trailex). Mark really is a class act and quality guy... just two weeks prior he had given me (for free) two seat stands to use in my game room. So, thank you mark! Also, got the help of at least 5 other racers who helped out (and who's names I'm sorry to have forgotten in the chaos). Also thanks to Steve Landstra (friend and fellow PCA RTR driver who was spectating) for being there and handing me a bottle of water through the fence, as I sat on the grass watching the entire race, waiting for the wrecker.

Also have to thank Bob T for going above and beyond. It was extremely comforting to have Bob coordinate efforts on the car while I was in the tower dealing with the finger-pointing session (video evidence clearly showed that the corvette lost control without provocation, and was assessed full blame, but no penalty was issued... such is NASA and deserving of another thread at another time).

With the state of the car, there was no chance to get her into my enclosed trailex. Bob offered to let me use his trailer (which was a big box trailer with winch) and I put his car in my trailex. He stayed late helping out (despite dinner plans with his wife and friends). So big thanks to Shannon (his wife, and a PCA instructor) for her understanding, as she had prepared for a dinner party and had to entertain without Bob.

I followed Bob back to his house, dropped off his car... and now will deal with getting my car up to Dawe for repairs. So, again big shout out to Bob T... he's always been willing to help out (instrumental in helping build my car and mentoring me as a driver). Definitely a stand up guy and a guy you can rely on to do the right thing.

Now as for NASA and how they dealt with the situation, I'd say that it was as expected... chalked up as a racing incident. I don't have any hard feelings, as I am intimately familiar with how NASA deals with contact and the differences between racing in NASA and PCA.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:12 AM
J Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn Glen...really sorry to read this.
Good luck getting it back together...I'm looking forward to some fun racing with you.
I have my own feelings regarding certain NASA regions and how they handle their operation. All I will say is there is a reason I don't race much at NJMP even though it is the closest track to me. I will also say I think that that NASA Mid Atlantic is a fantastic organization to run with.
Again, good luck with the repairs. Hope to see you back out there soon.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:17 AM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks Josh... I'm hoping to up and running for Hyperfest, but the stars will have to fall into alignment for that to happen. Fortunately, the brand new TT caliper, RS upright, gyrodisk rotor, and CCW wheel seam to have survived, as did the oil cooler. I have a spare front lower control arm, but the big ticket items will be the JRZ shock that was destroyed, the fender, the bumper, and a new sway bar.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:37 AM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by J Smith
I have my own feelings regarding certain NASA regions and how they handle their operation. All I will say is there is a reason I don't race much at NJMP even though it is the closest track to me. I will also say I think that that NASA Mid Atlantic is a fantastic organization to run with.
Again, good luck with the repairs. Hope to see you back out there soon.
I agree with Josh 100% on this, it seems region dependent, and sometimes even event or race director dependent. Last years NASA National event is one that comes to mind off hand, although I understand they have implemented many changes to make this years National event better.

In Texas we are lucky and have a great group of racers and organizations to run in. The previous NASA Texas organizers did a great job and the new organizers are continuing that tradition. They both are very concerned with the racers needs.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:41 AM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Oh, and Mark at OG racing is always a super helpful guy, He always goes above and beyond !
He is always welcome in our trailer camp.
Old 05-28-2012, 02:14 PM
944Cup
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by onefastviking
Oh, and Mark at OG racing is always a super helpful guy, He always goes above and beyond !
He is always welcome in our trailer camp.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:31 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,415 Likes on 756 Posts

Glen, sorry to hear...
Old 05-28-2012, 09:32 PM
FrankyV
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

And don't forget that Mark always has his helmet and driver's suit handy in case Randy Pobst isn't around to co-drive your car in the enduro.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:49 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SkankyFrank
And don't forget that Mark always has his helmet and driver's suit handy in case Randy Pobst isn't around to co-drive your car in the enduro.
He forgot his suit and helmet this last time he visited TWS, but he did mention he wouldn't let that happen again. Next time I'll even find him a ride in something. TWS is too fun to come out to twice and not drive. Don't worry Mark, we won't tell Bill it's a fun trip, it's strictly business !
Old 05-28-2012, 10:02 PM
sleder
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mark has always made himself instrumental my motorsport initiatives. He's the best there is!
Sorry Glen.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:20 AM
Kavo
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glen, Sorry to hear about the car but I was relieved to hear you were ok! Wish I had some 993 parts I could help you out with.

Kudos to Bob, Mark, Steve, and everyone involved in helping Glen.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:46 AM
Carrera51
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 156 Likes on 97 Posts

I was very bummed when I saw Glen's car after the incident Knowing Glen's attention to detail, the car will be back with some improvements. Look forward to seeing it back in action.

Once we got the destroyed fender off, we found that the tub didn't look as bad as we thought it might. Also learned that getting a fender off a 993 can be done with a 10mm wrench, brake clean and some allens. Glen seemed pretty surprised at how much progress we made, though Bob deserves the credit since I was just the helper following his instructions. Thanks for the kind words guys!

Quick Reply: Big shout out to Mark at OG Racing