Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 11:28 AM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Stilo with Chatterbox

We've had several instructors upgrade their helmets to a Stilo with the noise attenuating earmuffs that are wired for a radio. You can get either the earmuffs wired for sound or get a plug for your own earplugs and use with the Stilo earmuffs. Most of our customers opt for the wired earmuffs.

http://www.apexperformance.net/cartg...ag=3&brand=123

Stilo offers a Chatterbox connector that plugs right in to the helmet plug and into the Chatterbox. The sound quality is vastly improved with the Stilo so I have to agree that it is the lack of quality of the Chatterbox headphones in most instances.

http://www.apexperformance.net/CartGenie/prod-2263.htm

One note - Chatterbox has told us as a dealer not to overcharge the system. Plug it in for approx 4-6 hours at most and unplug. You don't want to charge it overnight or a few days. It will eventually burn it up.

Toll free: 866-505-2739
Direct: 843-299-0997
EM: info@apexperformance.net
www.apexperformance.net

Save 10% on your next order over $75 on most items- enter Promocode Rennlist on your next order or mention Rennlist during your phone order.

Visit us on Facebook
Old 05-28-2012, 11:40 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Has anyone tried these from Rugged Radios? http://www.ruggedradios.com/index.ph...roducts_id=622
What would you use for a student headset with that?
Old 05-28-2012, 12:35 PM
VaSteve
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We had a laugh a couple of years ago at the instructors meeting. Someone said that they were discontinuing these things. Someone else said "aren't there a bunch of rick guys here that could figure this out...maybe build it into a iPhone or something...?"

I have a relatively new one. I have had students ask me to turn it down. I had fitted my speakers inside my helmet with velcro. I made sure they were right next to my ear. If I can't hear the student, and he/she is complaining about it being loud, I ask them to pull it a way from their ear a little.

I cut the bracket off with a dremel and stuck velcro on the back and velcro on the helmet. I looped the wiring for my end under the velcro on the helmet to keep it from ripping out.

Now if I could only remember which way to turn the **** for volume when my helmet is on.
Old 05-28-2012, 04:40 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 761 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
What would you use for a student headset with that?
No idea. Looking through their webpage, I didn't see anything. The same problem exists for the bluetooth systems. There are a number of them available that motorcycle people love, but they have to be wired into the helmet. And they are around $350-500 for the pair.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:30 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
No idea. Looking through their webpage, I didn't see anything. The same problem exists for the bluetooth systems. There are a number of them available that motorcycle people love, but they have to be wired into the helmet. And they are around $350-500 for the pair.
Yeah, every time I find an intercom system that looks promising, the lack of a temporary-use student headset is the limiting feature.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:55 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 761 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
Yeah, every time I find an intercom system that looks promising, the lack of a temporary-use student headset is the limiting feature.
If we found something good, we could probably make an adapter from the chatterbox student headset to the new device. I have the chatterbox pinout saved somewhere...
Old 05-30-2012, 02:40 PM
Qwickrick
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I am going with custom ear buds....I'm having impressions made at Sears ($40.00) from their hearing aid department and sending them out to get custom ear buds made. I will be using this with my Speed Sync chatterbox adapter.

Quick Reply: Anything better than Chatterbox?