Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Warrior Plus Paint Protection on a track car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 10:20 AM
ja78911sc
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road Warrior Plus Paint Protection on a track car?

Curious if anyone has tried this product on their track/street car? Results?

Old 05-24-2012, 10:52 AM
tomburdge
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

WOW! This could revolutionize the paint protection industry
......if if if its as good as the demo ad would indicate.

Hopefully it doesn't turn out to be one of these "as seen on TV" products that really sucks once you get it.

I might try it on a Yugo before putting it on any prized possession.

Tom B.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:38 PM
Madshadow
1st Gear

Hi guys, I noticed some YouTube traffic coming from this site and wanted to check out the source. You guys are wondering how well this product works. Here are a few emails I've rec'd in the last month regarding it's performance.

Thanks,
Mark

Maybe you remember me contacting you and purchasing Road Warrior Plus for the Corvette that was going to be raced at Silver State Open Road Race in Nevada?
I just wanted to send you back my thoughts on your product and to let you know how well it worked for the Corvette!
The car was waxed and washed of course before application and then applied and allowed to cure in the sun the day before the race. Ran the race and the bugs weren't terribly awful but only tested the Road Warrior plus on the very front and around the sides of the new ZR1. The rest of the hood etc was not protected by your product. As a result it took a little bit of effort and more to remove the bugs a little more than a week after the race on the rest of the car but just a little bit of water on a cool car and Road Warrior Plus easily took off all of the bugs and no residue was left behind. Our test proves to us how much easier and better the car is protected with your product than without it. From now on we will apply it before every race and even on the trailer to keep off the bugs and dirt that accumulates on a long and sometimes very dirty drive.
We gave out a bunch of your cards and told everyone and showed as many people as we could talk to about your product, so hopefully you will be receiving calls from our contacts.
We will of course be purchasing more Road Warrior Plus for our future use too!
Thanks for all your answers and polite replies to all my questions in the past. I hope to hear back from you again soon!

Mark, I had about ten people look at the car scratch their heads and then ask me what was on it. It was on for eleven days and to the car wash about five times. The best testimonial I can give you was when we washed the car Saturday after the race I asked my wife what she thought and she said "I love it." I used the pressure spray and it cleaned all the product off. I just let it spray for a second and get a bubble somewhere and then just took it all off. After we were finished and dried the car, it looked brand new again. The product was on a yellow ZR1 and our tech speed visited often was 168 MPH in the race. We averaged a little over 130 MPH. I bought six quarts and one would have been more than enough as I have quite a lot left in the quart bottle after coating the car twice.

I finally had a chance to use Road Warrior this weekend for two days on track with mixed sun and rain and it worked as advertised. Applied two coats and used a heat gun to dry it. It drys clear and only visible if you are looking for it. Very nice option for long trips or track days.

I clayed and waxed the car tonight and noticed the areas where I used RWP were really clean so I don't know if if it also helps pull dirt out of the paint.

I recently bought a bottle of the Road Warrior from Madshadow and just used it for two weekends in a row of HPDE. I want to say that I am very happy with the product. I applied two coats to the front end, headlights, half doors, and half the hood. Did it at night in the garage (78 degF humid) and cured it with a 1800 watt hair dryer. It looks and smells like Elmers glue going on, and dries nearly clear with a firm rubber like feel and orange peel texture when dried. Easy and quick to apply, but takes a little time to cure if doing it with a hair dryer (I'd say about 7-8 minutes of blow drying for one coat over half the hood). I did it last Thursday, then did two track days Sat and Sunday. Drove thru about 5 min of rain coming home. Then the car sat that way all week, then I did another track day yesterday, and hosed off the product last night. I hosed the car down, then just used the hose gun stream to blast off the coating, which came off in large sheets. You can peel it off by hand just as easy like the video. The paint underneath is clean and smooth, with no residue left behind. You will probably want to rewash/rewax sections you coated, but does not look necessary. I did use blue painters tape on the very front nose/vertical sections of the bumper just in case extra protection was needed for a large high speed impacts, but I think a 3rd coat of road warrior would serve the same purpose. BTW, the road warrior can be applied over the tape, which I did to act as extra protection, and to also seal all the edges down to keep them from peeling in the wind. Madshadow recommends not doing the headlights, but I found it cures clear enough that I did it and would recommend it highly. In all, I had about 700 miles of high speed track and travel, and have not found one chip thru this coating. Top speed of about 120 mph on track. Adding up the high speed forays on the track, I calculate that I hit or exceeded 110 mph about 1000 times in 250 racing laps. Road warrior was still intact and protecting well. A lot of black rubber marks on it from race rubber flying. This is what I will use for track days from now on. Very good product, and I would recommend for track days and long occasional road trips. For a daily driver, it would not be practical.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:52 AM
Steve113
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 142 Posts

more info?
Old 06-06-2012, 11:46 AM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just ordered a pint to experiment with. My objective isn't so much paint protection, but to make it easier to clean up after a weekend at the track. Instead of having to use bug and tar remover... just peel and go. I'll report findings after my next track weekend...
Old 06-07-2012, 12:18 PM
Steve113
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 142 Posts

Great keep us posted. I asked them about applying over a 3m clear bra and they indicated they do not recommend . I would love to hear how it works after your track event
Thanks
Old 06-11-2012, 10:58 AM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

OK, here are my results...

I applied two coats to the front bumper, front half of the hood, mirrors, rocker panels, quarter panels and about half way up on the doors. Total time to apply was about 15 minutes per coat.

I chose not to use the supplied roller brush, and instead used a horse hair paint brush, as this saved a ton of time around the all of the curves around the radiator intakes in the front.

I don't think I would have had the patience to cure each coat with a hair dryer, as this would have surely increased the time to apply by 3 fold. Luckily the sun came out, and each coat cured in about 5 minutes of direct Texas sunlight.

The vinyl numbers on my doors ended up being half on the film, and half on the uncoated paint. At the end of my first run, the numbers were lifting up from the vinyl and almost blew off. I'm reaching 154mph once per lap, but I've never had a problem with numbers flying off, so I'd recommend applying the film over numbers, or placing numbers only on uncoated paint. The film also ruined the adhesive side of the numbers, so I ended up having to pull up enough film in order to reapply the numbers with extra tape on top of uncoated paint.

At the end of my last run on Sunday, I pulled off my numbers and peeled back just enough of the film on the passenger door to see how things looked. Pics are attached. Worked as advertised, although I haven't checked the front bumper yet. Too tedious to peel off by hand, so that will have to wait until I can get the hose out and spray it all off with a high pressure steam.

So far, I'd say the product works as advertised, and is worth both the expense and time. As I mentioned before, I was very interested in how it would save me time in the clean up after a track weekend, and from the looks of the passenger door, I'd say it will save me a bunch of time. Good product.
Attached Images   

Trending Topics

Old 06-12-2012, 12:44 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

That's pretty cool.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:11 PM
trentor
2nd Gear

I did quite a bit of researching reviews and such on this recently, and since I recently got a new bumper and freshly painted hood, I wanted some protection for the Dustball Rally. I ended up using Road Warrior Plus, so I thought I'd resurrect this thread and post a quick review.

Cliff Notes: Great product unless it rains. Highly recommended for track days or events/trips you know will be dry. For longer road trips where weather is always a factor, go with something like Plastidip.

I used this for the Dustball Rally. 2000 miles from Dallas > Memphis > Atlanta > Daytona Beach > Miami. I did two coats on the entire bumper, headlights, and 18 inches of my hood. It's definitely noticeable, but didn't look too bad in my opinion.

It all held up great until the rain on the Memphis to Atlanta leg. Water seeps in and it begins to separate from the car. Otherwise, the film really does appear to do a good job protecting the paint.

Even with some water causing it to bubble on the near-flat surface of my bumper, that area held up pretty well. By the end of the week, the bumper film was still intact on the front faces. The more angled areas such as where the bumper wraps around near the tires, one of my headlights, and the leading edge of the hood did not fare so well. They didn't last a day after the rain. Just after the brief rain (moderate rain for about 2 hrs at around 80-85mph), a small section of the hood had started to peel away, one headlight film had more or less come off, and the bumper just in front of the tires was peeling off too.

All-in-all, it's not a bad product. I may use it again for weekend club drives or track days where I can see the weather forecast a few days prior. However for a cross-country trip such as the Dustball Rally, I'll be taking the extra time to use Plastidip next time.

(In hindsight, I should have just forked over the cash to do a proper vinyl clear bra after getting the front end redone.)
Attached Images   
Old 08-21-2013, 09:52 PM
ohenryinatlanta
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

i used to use something like this when i tracked my e36 m3 back in the 90's. i think carcarespecialities (advert in pano) carries the same stuff diff name

peel off was easy but left little bits it the nooks and crannies here and there
Old 08-22-2013, 12:50 AM
trentor
2nd Gear

After further reading up on this, supposedly it works better and will hold up to the rain if applied directly to the paint (no wax). I may give that a shot, and strip the wax off the front next time and see how it does.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:14 PM
pzfret
1st Gear

I have used this product on two different cars. I just bought a 2007 Boxster S, and the bumper had been painted in a couple of spots prior to pick up. So, I couldn't put on the clear bra until the pain cured. So I used this product on a couple of DE's for protection, and it worked great. I also used it on my 911 on part of the aerokit behind the rear wheels that I had just had repainted. It also worked great. If you used a hair dryer to heat it a bit when it is drying, it helps. I'm going to a DE this weekend and plan to use it again. After the event is over, just wet it and peel an edge off. No problem at all.

Quick Reply: Road Warrior Plus Paint Protection on a track car?