Sponsored by:

Rotors - Coleman vs Stock 993TT

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 07:38 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Rotors - Coleman vs Stock 993TT

I'm running 993 TT "big reds" (322x32mm) on an Carrera that is about 2600 pounds. The car is race only.

I need some new rotors. The rear rotors are reasonably priced and last long enough so I'm going with the stock ones. For the front it seems like I have a couple of options. I'd like to stick with the stock bolt pattern so I don't have to buy new hats. The stock drilled rotors are available but they aren't cheap and I'd prefer slotted because they should last longer. Coleman can make me slotted rotors that work with my hats and are about half the cost of the stock parts. There are some very nice AP/Alcon kits but they are about 4x the cost of the stock parts and I don't want to spend that much. Australian manufacturer DBA sells some rotors too but they are about 3x the price of the stock ones and hard to find.

The Coleman's seem like a no-brainer and this is what I'll probably get. Can anyone comment on the quality of the Coleman parts? I've read some bad reviews but they were several years old and mostly written by guys with heavy street/track cars. I heard Coleman makes the Girodisk rotors that people seem to be impressed with (not sure if it's true). Any reason why I shouldn't go with Coleman? Can anyone racing with 993TT brakes compare them to the stock rotors or provide any other options? Thanks.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:41 PM
Cory M
Drifting

found this thread with some related info:

https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...ml#post9196163
Old 05-22-2012, 09:17 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 58 Posts

I had Coleman make me up some for the 996TT I used to track. They made me three pairs with awesome hardware and a new set of hats for about $1200. I averaged about 32 days per pair without any issues, and I was very impressed with them.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:45 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 512 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Cory M
I'm running 993 TT "big reds" (322x32mm) on an Carrera that is about 2600 pounds. The car is race only.

I need some new rotors. The rear rotors are reasonably priced and last long enough so I'm going with the stock ones. For the front it seems like I have a couple of options. I'd like to stick with the stock bolt pattern so I don't have to buy new hats. The stock drilled rotors are available but they aren't cheap and I'd prefer slotted because they should last longer. Coleman can make me slotted rotors that work with my hats and are about half the cost of the stock parts. There are some very nice AP/Alcon kits but they are about 4x the cost of the stock parts and I don't want to spend that much. Australian manufacturer DBA sells some rotors too but they are about 3x the price of the stock ones and hard to find.

The Coleman's seem like a no-brainer and this is what I'll probably get. Can anyone comment on the quality of the Coleman parts? I've read some bad reviews but they were several years old and mostly written by guys with heavy street/track cars. I heard Coleman makes the Girodisk rotors that people seem to be impressed with (not sure if it's true). Any reason why I shouldn't go with Coleman? Can anyone racing with 993TT brakes compare them to the stock rotors or provide any other options? Thanks.
Believe it, Gyro disc uses Coleman made rotors, they seem to be holding up well on my car

Alternatively Coleman makes a disk that is a direct bolt on to the oe 993tt steel hats as shown here on these heavily tracked ones where they are holding up well too.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:03 AM
Cory M
Drifting

Thanks for the info guys. I'm going to give the Colemans a shot.

I spoke to Troy at Coleman today and unfortunately they don't have any of the dimensions for the 993TT replacement rotors, although they have made them in the past. I'm going to have to measure it up and fill out the form to have it custom made. He said it would take about 10 days. I'll report back with results after I get it put back together.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:41 AM
Redsled
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ANother option is to send them the complete rotor and hat and have them duplicate the rotors. Have done that on several track cars and have never had an issue. New rotors and original hats come back and the measurements are spot on.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:21 AM
Dave 86 930 Fl
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Cory M
Thanks for the info guys. I'm going to give the Colemans a shot.

I spoke to Troy at Coleman today and unfortunately they don't have any of the dimensions for the 993TT replacement rotors, although they have made them in the past. I'm going to have to measure it up and fill out the form to have it custom made. He said it would take about 10 days. I'll report back with results after I get it put back together.
Cory,

I have 5 track days at Sebring with the new rotors from Coleman and I'm very happy. No detectable wear on the rotors and the PFC97 pads still have one more track day in them. I shipped a front rotor to Troy so they could make proper replacement rather than measuring myself.

I'm going to have Coleman make me some rear rotors this summer while we all melt down here in Florida.

Good luck, dave

Trending Topics

Old 05-23-2012, 09:03 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

I ran Colman's on my former 964t racer. They worked great.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:44 PM
David in VA
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cory, please do report back when you get these. I need new fronts and would really like to find a slotted alternative with a lower cost than the Girodisc.

Thanks
Old 05-27-2012, 08:15 AM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 58 Posts

Corey, I sent Coleman My rotors and had them reproduce everything as with my original setup. It's a pain, but well worth getting it "right" the first time...Their pricing and quality is truly great. On the 996TT, which was a fat pig, I was getting AMAZING wear!

Mike
Old 05-27-2012, 09:18 AM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Did you send them the 993 TT fronts and rears? I hope they keep templates because after spreading the positive words others might jump onto the wagon in the future too.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:59 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I just removed some cracked 993 tt front rotors (without hats). I'd be happy to ship them one both which they can keep if that helps. I'd like to buy one set of fronts as well.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:04 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Originally Posted by amso3
I just removed some cracked 993 tt front rotors (without hats). I'd be happy to ship them one both which they can keep if that helps. I'd like to buy one set of fronts as well.
My car is in the shop which is about 2 hours away so I haven't sent my front rotors in or measured them. It will probably be a couple of weeks, the distributor was sent out for a rebuild.

If you send your rotors in let me know because I'll order at least 1 set of slotted rotors, maybe a second spare set too depending on the final cost. Group buy? I wasn't planning on sending in the rear rotors because the stock ones are only ~$150 each retail and should last about twice as long as the fronts. If Coleman makes a slotted rear though for a similar price I'd try it out.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:18 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

I will have a set of 993TT OEM rear disks which cracked prematurely and will be replacing it. Let me know if anyone wants them for a template.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:28 PM
Cory M
Drifting

I found a spare front rotor in the garage and sent it in with a hat and hardware. I ordered 2 sets of slotted rotors. I'll post pics when they arrive and get installed.

Quick Reply: Rotors - Coleman vs Stock 993TT