Sponsored by:

LSD question

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 11:37 PM
p997s123
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default LSD question

Have a 996 GT3. Original diff. Was reviewing some RK video and data re: a recovered spin at turn 7 at Sebring. I was trail braking into the corner and the rear started to come around. I was looking and comparing data to see if I released the brake too quickly or got on the gas too aggressively but at least that part of the equation seems to be ok, at least from my novice perspective. I know there are many other potential causes ie tires, fluid on track, DRIVER, etc. A friend mentioned the diff could be contributing to the rear coming loose due to instability during trail braking. I have a GENERAL idea how the diff works but not enough knowledge to understand how a Guards or Cup diff may settle the car during braking.

Could someone shed som light on the way the diff helps during braking so I can better understand if changing the diff would be beneficial. I know spending the cash on coaching may be more productive but I am curious.

Thx

Darrick
Old 05-10-2012, 11:58 PM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

If you have never rebuilt your diff before, and have done more than a few track days, your stock frictions discs are likely toast and the diff is not doing its job. The GT3 is a wonderful car, but Porsche did not put enough preload on the clutch pack in the factory LSDs, so they wear out quickly. The nice thing about the 996 GT3 is that is a "real" 40/60 setup so you do not need to change the ramps like on a 997 GT3.

Call Matt Monson at Guard transmission, he can rebuild your diff so that it will work more effectively and last a long time. If you are handy, you can pull the diff yourself and send it to him for a rebuild, otherwise have a trusted shop do it. You will be happy that you did.

That said, if you are a novice at track days, it is entirely possible that you are releasing the brake too abruptly, causing rear instability. Trail-braking is an advanced technique, especially in a potent rear-engine car like a GT3. Practice getting on AND off the brakes smoothly in all situations. Nonetheless, a proper diff will give you the confidence to push your car harder and work more on your line and driving technique, rather than worrying about ending up facing where you just came from!
Old 05-11-2012, 12:50 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

IMHO the most valuable asset of a 996/GT3/cup is a functional diff. Chris pretty much said it all above I just want you to really hear that your diff is toast (they all are) and I don't want you to lose confidence in your driving abilities. Diff's swear out slowly (like boiling a frog) and it's easy to question your driving. I raced a 996 cup with a burnt out diff for probably 2 years before I finally pulled it and saw the discs were worn out. First session with the rebuilt diff I was 2 seconds faster at Willow Springs, my home track. It makes a HUGE difference, go with Guard's rebuild plates not Porsches (same price). You'll shout hallelujah, kiss the earth, and generally be reborn when you drive your car with a rebuilt diff. It makes that much of a difference....
Old 05-11-2012, 01:07 AM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Diff's swear out slowly (like boiling a frog)...
Seriously?! Who boils frogs? Much less slowly...

-td
Old 05-11-2012, 07:34 AM
sig_a
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Call Brian Copans in Athens, Ohio. He's the best source to cross-check the range of opinion you will get here.

http://www.bmcg-gearbox.com/contact.html
Old 05-11-2012, 12:03 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sig_a
Call Brian Copans in Athens, Ohio. He's the best source to cross-check the range of opinion you will get here.

http://www.bmcg-gearbox.com/contact.html
I don't believe you can qualify one expert as the best source. Mr. Copans has his own opinion of how a diff should be setup and sells his products and setup accordingly. That opinion may be different from other expert opinions on this board.....
Old 05-11-2012, 12:37 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
It makes a HUGE difference, go with Guard's rebuild plates not Porsches (same price). You'll shout hallelujah, kiss the earth, and generally be reborn when you drive your car with a rebuilt diff. It makes that much of a difference....
That's almost worth starting a customer testimonials section on my website so that I can keep it around forever.

As for checking the range of opinions? Darrick, you can start here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...sd-buster.html

Then, since you are in Florida, call Champion, Rodger at Orbit, Brady at the 901 Shop, and Kevin at KMW and ask them what they would suggest. As jrgordonsenior says, getting one guy's opinion is just that, one guy's opinion...
Old 05-11-2012, 01:10 PM
Tedster
Rennlist Member

Received 342 Likes on 167 Posts

I agree wholeheartedly with Chris. I drove my 2004 GT3 for six years and tried many things experts suggested including higher friction rear pads, upgraded rear toe links, and various sway bar settings to "tame the beast" with modest improvement for the expense. Last year I had my LSD rebuilt at Midwest Eurosport using Guard internals, leaving the stock ramps, and the improvement was immediately noticable. While I also agree that more track time with a qualified instructor will help you improve, upgrading your LSD will give you the confidence to consistently improve your driving. Oh, and also get a good track alignment annually for maximum benefit. Good Luck!
Old 05-11-2012, 10:15 PM
p997s123
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Thank you for all the info and the link!

Darrick

Quick Reply: LSD question