Mercedes to possibly quit F1 over snub on BOD

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 12:52 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,429 Likes on 2,039 Posts
Default Mercedes to possibly quit F1 over snub on BOD

It makes no sense to not include MB as a possible board member once the stock is floated. They are a strong global partner and brand that can only enhance the F1 profile.... just my opinion of course....

Report questions Mercedes future

Questions are asked about the future of Mercedes in F1

The future of Mercedes in F1 has been called into question by a report suggesting it could be considering its position in the sport.

According to The Times, Mercedes is said to be unhappy about the fact that it is set to miss out on a place on the board when F1 floats on the stock exchange.

A number of other teams, including Red Bull, Ferrari and McLaren, are reported to have been offered a place on the board, leaving Mercedes far from happy with the situation.

“Mercedes, which is estimated to have spent more than £1 billion on grand-prix racing in the past two decades, is on the verge of quitting Formula One as the company is denied a seat in the new boardroom that will control the sport when a Stock Exchange float is completed,” the report read.

“Red Bull, the relative newcomers to grand-prix racing, and Ferrari have both been promised boardroom places by Bernie Ecclestone, Formula One's chief executive, as he lines up a float that could value Formula One at up to £6 billion.

“Mercedes, who registered their first win of the modern era in China only last month, have been isolated with McLaren, their former partners, also being handed a place.”

The report comes less than a month after Mercedes took its first victory in F1 in the modern era, with Nico Rosberg storming to top spot in the Chinese Grand Prix.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:19 PM
mklaskin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Posturing. Has to be.

I agree with you 110% that it makes no sense (and that M-B would only add value). For that matter, what about Renault as a engine manufacturer, or Williams and Sauber as long time privateers...?
Old 05-07-2012, 02:41 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,429 Likes on 2,039 Posts

It makes sense to have Renault as a BOD, but their history has show them to be very wishy washy as to participation in the series. Then they go and change their team name to reflect a transition away from a Renault factory team. Ghosn isn't one to commit big $$ to F1 it seems in the long run where MB has with multiple teams supplied with their engines and now a factory team.

IF Bernie were true to the history and spirit of competition, they would allow the likes of Williams and Sauber to have places at the table, especially Williams with their past success, but they are currently in transition with Sir Frank not having too many years left and what appears to be internal turmoil.

In the end, I don't trust Bernie and he is only in it for Bernie's sake. His pockets will get filled even more and the people who make the decisions for the factory teams are not spending their own money. When privateers spend their own cash and Bernie leaves them holding the bag, it could mean bankruptcy.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:17 PM
mklaskin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Simply put, if you are a team owner or engine manufacturer, then you're on the board. You leave F1, you vacate the board.

To imply that M-B has not done anything, or rather, that their merit is based solely on wins, is foolish. BE is acting like a d*ck!

Oh, and give FA three seats, cuz' he's great!
Old 05-07-2012, 11:18 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

F1 brinksmanship at its finest. Bernie is being a tool (as usual). MB should get a cut.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:13 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

MB has nothing to gain by quitting. They have more influence after the float if they stay in, and Bernie and MB both know this.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:00 AM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

As I said in the other thread, for once this is probably not saber rattling. I would guess Mercedes is seriously considering its options.

Why?

For one thing, F1 is the work for teams like Ferrari, McLaren, and Red Bull. Ferrari is just a racing company that makes a few cars for sale. McLaren and Red Bull are just racing comapnies no matter the few McLarens that are sold. Sure Renault sells some cars.

But Mercedes is a production car and truck company first. They think about these things differently. Sure F1 gives them prestige - but Mercedes gives F1 footing and prestige too. Mercedes is not run like the others in F1. They have some other bosses to answer to, and more feathers to groom too.

For Bernie to think that Mercedes will carry the spit bucket for him and the other teams would be a mistake in judgement. Things may be good for now in F1, but they can go bad. Remember Indy cars.

If they arent in at the table where the pie is cut, there is a real possibility that they are out as a name team, even if they get a little slice. They figure they helped bring about some of this success for F1 and they arent likely to go home empty handed. It just doesnt work that way at the top of a corporation

I dont think you can treat one of the biggest name companies like this by excluding them from the table. I am sure the Mercedes exec wing and board room is humming. It would be if I was there . I dont see a line of companies waiting to get in Mercedes place either - no matter what Bernie might say. He better start thinking about eating some humble pie here and giving Mercedes some respect.

My thoughts are Bernie posturing vs Mercedes Corporate posturing, is Bernie better listen. And I bet he does.

I know a guy right here in town that has been trying to get Mercedes to go in to some other series and "possibly" reduce its F1 committments. I bet he is on the phone today .
Old 05-08-2012, 09:24 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,222 Likes on 1,253 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasRider
I know a guy right here in town that has been trying to get Mercedes to go in to some other series and "possibly" reduce its F1 committments. I bet he is on the phone today .
Personally I would rather see Mercedes move to ALMS and endurance racing in both GT2 and LMP1.

Have some fun and enter the E-Series wagon like Volvo did back in the 90's

Quick Reply: Mercedes to possibly quit F1 over snub on BOD