Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Clash at The Glen - heck with block talk, trash talk!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 10:53 AM
bauerjab
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

[QUOTE=Paul 996;9590249]Ok Ok, so you were back in front by start finish and get credit for leading the first lap

Interesting.... So you merely "borrowed" the lead for awhile.and thought it was actually yours when it was not. Is this a pattern?
Old 06-06-2012, 12:35 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Broken Control Arm

OK streak.. Here you go.....

This was AFTER THE CHECKER for saturday warmup before first sprint. Broken left rear control arm. Thank GOD this happened in warmup, after the checker and not in a race or a lot of people would have been hurt. Better that it happened here. Watch to the end..

First hit was fixable. Second makes for a write off.

If you laugh at the girly sound I make, bite me

Did I mention this was after the warmup checker??

Last edited by dan212; 06-06-2012 at 04:45 PM.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:37 PM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by dan212
OK streak.. Here you go.....

This was AFTER THE CHECKER for saturday warmup before first sprint. Broken left rear control arm. Thank GOD this happened in warmup, after the checker and not in a race or a lot of people would have been hurt. Better that it happened here.

Did I mention this was after the warmup checker??

Video of the year. Hands down.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:13 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 177 Likes on 113 Posts

FARK!

Wow. Glad you're ok.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:19 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

Dan that vid makes my ball sack tingle. I cannot imagine just having to sit there and wait for the impact. Glad you are ok!
Old 06-06-2012, 01:40 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Christ! Isn't there a yellow?
Old 06-06-2012, 02:31 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Video no longer available?
Old 06-06-2012, 02:37 PM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
Video no longer available?
Still works for me
Old 06-06-2012, 02:51 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 174 Posts

Yikes!

I think that was the appropriate girly sound.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:05 PM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Dan,

Sorry to see this. Glad you are ok. Please post a picture of the control arm that failed. At my last race I had a GT3 2 piece control arm fail up front at the short end where it attaches to the chassis. Also happened after the checker and on my way to the pits.

Best,
Paul
Old 06-06-2012, 04:47 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 95 Posts

Just bent metal and money I don't have.

Car is totaled - The last hit caused serious front end & subframe harm. But nobody got hurt. Hans, harness and Halo seat did their job.

Thats the main thing: nobody got hurt. That was all that was going through my mind at the time: please nobody get hurt because of me. If this were in a race, there would have been carnage.

I did have a pucker when the two white Cayman's appeared. Uh-Oh / WTF? The guy who clipped me was trying not to hit me head on while the other cayman was trying to pass him. I thanked him after for not killing me.. He had to be towed off as well.

AND YES - sure there were yellows, flashing lights - never mind the checker. I was also flashing my one headlight (Thats why I still had the power on) . Don't know if it was working.. But you can tell who was looking ahead and who wasn't...

The outside Cayman already has a 13 from Lime Rock. The gray Cayman that looked like it was trying to pass Hoyt after he had slowed down and missed me by a red hair? I still can't believe he didn't hit me. Husband and wife. I kid you not.

The control arm was an RSS lower control arm. Broke at the ball. Two years old, moved from my GT3 to this car a year ago. Sounds like yours failed in the same place.

I'll try to get pix.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:28 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

The outside Cayman already has a 13 from Lime Rock. The gray Cayman that looked like it was trying to pass Hoyt after he had slowed down and missed me by a red hair? I still can't believe he didn't hit me. Husband and wife. I kid you not.
And they say GT3 cup drivers are bad... that gray Cayman should have his license removed, maybe the white one too.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:30 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts

!!!

Thats just a nasty place to get parked too... Could not have been fun in there - a little like a tail-gunner in a B-17.

I think I'd be a bit mad about the LCA given the location of failure, age, and - now - history...

From the website:
"RSS High Performance Tarmac Series Suspension Components are designed, engineered and manufactured on location here in the USA. RSS Tarmac Series Control Arms are manufactured from 6061 aerospace grade billet aluminum. This allows for a more uniform molecular structure at every point of the arm over the cast motorsports arm giving the customer a more durable and inherently stronger part. Manufacturing from billet aluminum rather than casting results in less impurities in the metal. Completely serviceable – for the extreme, repetitive track-day participant, our high-strength steel alloy spherical bearings (with a friction reducing / longevity increasing Teflon liner) can be replaced unlike the motorsports arm, in which case the customer will have to buy a new set of arms if the spherical bearings are worn. Additionally, anodized surfaces and zinc-plated steel parts allow for better corrosion resistance against the elements. Adjustable suspension geometry – adjust dynamic camber values and roll center heights with our unique zinc-plated steel bushings. Solid monoball control arm ends offer a more responsive suspension over the factory one-piece rubber-injected control arm (also uses the same high strength steel alloy spherical bearing found in our control arm monoball kit). Unique design provides more gusseting over the motorsports arms for added strength and aesthetically appealing looks."
Old 06-06-2012, 06:03 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 147 Posts

Yikes! Glad you weren't hurt. That could have turned out a lot worse.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:05 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

As fantastic a circuit as the Glen is, those stupid blue bushes really ruin the place. Any incident at that spot can become catastrophic, as this did, because there's just no escape. And that's not the only section like that. Any other circuit and everyone would have just taken to the grass in avoidance. A real shame, and those bushes have even killed a few.

Quick Reply: The Clash at The Glen - heck with block talk, trash talk!