Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Racing & Drivers Education Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum-65/)
-   -   Today's racing "OH SNAP" moment (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/693921-todays-racing-oh-snap-moment.html)

Ricky Boo-Boo Johnson 04-29-2012 01:48 AM

Today's racing "OH SNAP" moment

Brought to you by Ricky Johnson - skip to the 3:15 mark if you want to go straight to the action...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WL2Dp...ature=youtu.be

KaiB 04-29-2012 01:54 AM

WOAH ****!!!

himself 04-29-2012 02:23 AM

Didn't expect that. At all. Corner worker should have been waving a brown flag...

-td

J richard 04-29-2012 02:31 AM

WTF was He doing?!?! DRIVING AGAINST TRAFFIC AT THE WORST BLIND CORNER ON THE TRACK!!!????

Damn lucky, did you guys hit? Plenty of spins in that corner can't imagine ANY reason to recover that direction....yikes.

race911 04-29-2012 02:52 AM

OK, so I watched the whole thing. The first three minutes brought back every bad memory I had of Firebird from 25-nearly 30 years ago. Looks like all that's changed is the K-wall extends all the way to T1. (What's a decent lap time? I remember HAND TIMING SCCA Trans Am there, probably '84, and I got Paul Miller on the pole in his 924 Turbo at almost 1:00 flat. No way, no how was I much under 1:20 in my ITB Scirocco.)

So I guess what I can conclude is that if something completely off the wall could occur on any track anywhere, Firebird would be near the top of the list...........

Veloce Raptor 04-29-2012 09:27 AM

Good lord! What an asshole!

I would have had a one on one conversation with that cretin afterwards that would have made him soil his pants & give up racing. :mad::mad:

Chaos 04-29-2012 09:30 AM

Love the slo mo sound, Oooohhhh Shhhiiiittttt

Matt Romanowski 04-29-2012 09:59 AM

That's insane. Driving counter race at a blind corner - someone needs a time out with while wearing the dunce cap.

J richard 04-29-2012 11:15 AM

I will give him the benefit of doubt, he is normally a very fast and clean driver, I wonder if he was waved around by the corner worker or something, way out of character, maybe somebody else in the car?

Eifeler 04-29-2012 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by J richard (Post 9486407)
I will give him the benefit of doubt, he is normally a very fast and clean driver, I wonder if he was waved around by the corner worker or something, way out of character, maybe somebody else in the car?

Are you kidding? Would you drive counter course for any reason beyond a Polish victory lap?

J richard 04-29-2012 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Eifeler (Post 9486421)
Are you kidding? Would you drive counter course for any reason beyond a Polish victory lap?

No (see above^^^ still a major brain fart) just saying it's way out of character for this driver.

It's not uncommon to have a car spin into the inside of that corner due to the slippery end of the dragstrip and endup backwards on the inside wall, only way I would move is if a corner worker cleared me and waved me around. Dangerous place to either sit or recover. I've seen some bad signals by corner workers as well...

lipamax 04-29-2012 11:50 AM

Good reaction!
Corner workers shouldn't let him do it.
Got lucky...

Drewster67 04-29-2012 12:01 PM

Driver had no way to turn around, after he spun on the straight coming out of 12, without taking up the line on the straight. He is a vey professional driver in all regards. He wouldnt of done it unless he had no other choice. Dunno if the corner worker called it in for turn ten to go yellow. Just glad both drivers had no contact.

Veloce Raptor 04-29-2012 12:17 PM

This is why race cars are equipped with a reverse gear. :rolleyes:

ltc 04-29-2012 12:19 PM

So the driver spun, so rather than just park the car/stay where he is, he decides to drive the other way?